Hacking CFW noob questions

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Title should give you a hint about the topic.

Since most of the knowledge about the CFW is dispersed/outdated, i would like to ask some questions:

-What EXACTLY is this 3DS Custom Firmware? Is it like Emunand? Or do i need Emunand to use it?

-Why does it say on the 'complete' guide that i need an eshop game or a 3ds flashcart with eshop access?

-What can i do with the CFW? Can i play 3ds ROMs?

- What exaactly is a CIA? Do i need that?

-If the CFW is like the Emunand, can i update? Can i access eshop and dlc? If it is not, and i need Emunand to use it, can i update the emunand and use the aforementioned features?

-and lastly, what are the physical requirements for setting up the CFW? I have a DS mode flashcart (R4i SDHC Dual Core) and a 4 GB SD card (it came with my 3DS) but i don't have a gateway 3ds, 'cause i"m torn since there would be no point in having both the gateway and cfw if they both do the same things, do i need one?

Thanks in advance

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What EXACTLY is this 3DS Custom Firmware? Is it like Emunand? Or do i need Emunand to use it?

It's basically emuNAND without requiring Gateway or a 3DS flashcart. It doesn't yet support updating to anything past 4.5.

-Why does it say on the 'complete' guide that i need an eshop game or a 3ds flashcart with eshop access?

It's an outdated message that needs to be removed.

-What can i do with the CFW? Can i play 3ds ROMs?

Anything a 4.5 3DS can do, and yes it can play 3DS games (repacked in CIA format). You can even play some 6.X games (ALBW, Pokémon X/Y (though I can't seem to get saving working in Y USA...)). Also, you can't use it to play retail carts with higher firmwares at this point.

- What exaactly is a CIA? Do i need that?

It stands for CTR Importable Archive. Basically it's like a .wad file for the Wii. It contains info needed to install 3DS applications/games onto your SD card. You need to convert .3DS format files to .CIA if you want to run them on this CFW.

-If the CFW is like the Emunand, can i update? Can i access eshop and dlc? If it is not, and i need Emunand to use it, can i update the emunand and use the aforementioned features?

As I said above, no, you can't update, thus no eShop access at this point (you could with Gateway + CFW, but with the leaked free CFW, not yet).

-and lastly, what are the physical requirements for setting up the CFW? I have a DS mode flashcart (R4i SDHC Dual Core) and a 4 GB SD card (it came with my 3DS) but i don't have a gateway 3ds, 'cause i"m torn since there would be no point in having both the gateway and cfw if they both do the same things, do i need one?

Just a 3DS on 4.5 or below, and some sort of DS-mode flashcart. No Gateway needed unless you want higher firmware versions of emuNAND right now and can't wait for possible future developments.

Basically, it boils down to this:
Gateway + CFW:
-Everything gateway can do up to this point, plus the ability to install CIA files
-Higher compatibility with newer games

Leaked CFW on its own:
-Everything a 4.5 3DS can do on its own, plus the ability to install CIA files
-Some compatibility with 6.x games (it's still new, but people have reported ALBW, Pokemon, and I think Fantasy Life to be working).

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice post daxtsu. I didn't understand the limitations of not having gateway, but now I do.

So I guess I have a question of my own. How exactly does the .cia work with DLC? Will it just install on my 3ds and then the next time I play my rom, the rom will reconize I have the file or will I need to start a fresh rom? Basically I want to keep my save game.

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
I had some similar concerns too. Thanks daxstu :)

If I understand correctly, as a clone cart owner I can do the same things plus actually more, as playing Pokemon (and being able to save) and running homebrews. Right?

EDIT: completely skipped the part where you said that you can't save in Pokemon. :/

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks, that cleared a lot of stuff up.

So, should i buy a gateway 3ds or stick to the cfw? The gateway 3ds would really be a better choice since it has more support, but by buying it i would have to wait another year to get my much awaited HTC One X :(...

Will the CFW get more updates, does it have any hope of eventually being able to match the Gateway 3ds in capabilities?

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that cleared a lot of stuff up.

So, should i buy a gateway 3ds or stick to the cfw? The gateway 3ds would really be a better choice since it has more support, but by buying it i would have to wait another year to get my much awaited HTC One X :(...

Will the CFW get more updates, does it have any hope of eventually being able to match the Gateway 3ds in capabilities?

Personally, I love gateway, but things are happening fast here the past couple days. I would say if there is not a pressing urge to play some of the latest games, I would stick with beating/playing all the games cfw has to offer and then see where the 3ds is at that point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol