CFW: I formatted my 2ds's sd card and now it wont turn on

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MrToxidoCat, Jun 7, 2019.

1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Just get the latest boot.firm from https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases and put it on the SD card root.
    You can inject it into CTRNAND to allow the console to boot without a SD card though there is not much reason you would normally want to do that, it might be useful in the unlikely scenario your SD card corrupts or fails while you're away from home and have no chance to fix it, but you have a bunch of retail games with you that you would like to play. Luma3DS Updater has an option to inject to CTRNAND built in.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Nov 9, 2019
    RoseNezuko likes this.
  2. RoseNezuko

RoseNezuko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    so what do i do now that its on? (im sorta a noob in this aspect, have never had done a mod incorrectly up to this point)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

sorry lemme rephrase, what do i do if i want to continue hacking it at this point?

3. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Should just need boot.3dsx from https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases/ on the root of the SD and then to follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup again to get the essential homebrew back. As well as the boot.firm from Luma3DS of course.

RoseNezuko and TurdPooCharger like this.
  4. RoseNezuko

RoseNezuko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    so what if i follow the finalization guide to the letter but godmode9 doesnt open when holding start during boot?

5. RoseNezuko

RoseNezuko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    nvm but now that i can do the thing, it keeps saying my sdcard is write-protected and wont do some of the things i need it to do to finish this

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

also disregard, wow im stupid.

6. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Accidentally turned on the write protect lock? :P

7. RoseNezuko

RoseNezuko Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    United States
    yep. i got it now tho and got games on it and alls

8. StarrBlack

StarrBlack Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2019
    United States
    Hey i never post on these forums, but i made an account just to say thank you to the Jdbye and the Turdpusher dude. i did something super dumb that i knew better than to do, and bricked a console. Yall saved me, just followed what you had to say to a T, and all those links, just wanted to express my graditude.

9. yorshee

yorshee Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'm having this issue, it started when I backed up a save game with Checkpoint and modified it a bit with PKHeX. I didn't even get a chance to actually apply the modified save because it started being like this when I first put the SD card back in after modifying the save file on my PC.

I tried deleting the modified save from the \3ds\Checkpoint\saves\0x01B50 Pokémon Ultra Sun folder, still didn't work. Tried updating boot.firm, didn't work, reformatted the entire SD card with Partition Wizard and added back only the essentials, still nothing, reformatted the entire SD card again and left it blank, still nothing. It's like my 2DS is suddenly allergic to this SD card, it's really odd.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should try next?

10. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Do a scan for bad clusters: chkdsk /F /R X: in a command prompt. If it successfully detects and remaps some clusters, you can format the card and try putting the files on again and it should hopefully work.

yorshee likes this.
  11. yorshee

yorshee Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It found no issues. :C

12. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The card is FAT32 formatted, right?

yorshee likes this.
  13. yorshee

yorshee Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yup!

14. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Check if the SD card you're using is fake or dying.
    1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
    2. Quadruple reformat.
    3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
    Report back the test results.

yorshee likes this.
  15. yorshee

yorshee Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I did all of this, and the SD card is fine.

After I put the files back on it and tried again, it still doesn’t work.

16. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    4. Battery trick (unless this is a New 2DS XL).
    5. Without the SD card and gamecart inserted, turn on the 2DS system and hold the (SELECT) button.
    Possible Outcomes

(A) If boot9strap custom firmware is installed and CTRNAND Luma3DS has been setup, you should see these.
    • Top Screen: Luma3DS v#.# configuration
      • v7.1 (or newer)
    • Bottom Screen: Booted from CTRNAND via B9S

(B) If arm9loaderhax custom firmware is installed and CTRNAND Luma3DS has been setup, you should instead see this.
    • Top Screen: Luma3DS v#.# configuration
      • v7.0.5 (or older)

(C) If B9S or A9LH CFW is installed but CTRNAND Luma3DS is missing, the 2DS should turn on with a single blue LED blink and then turn off.
    • Despite having custom firmware, failure to boot Luma3DS from the SD card may be due to broken card slot reader.

(D) The 2DS turns on and stays on with black screens. Either the custom firmware is no longer installed, the 3DS firmware has softbricked, and/or there is an unspecified hardware failure.
    • For old series systems [o2DS / o3DS / o3DSXL], common boot failure can be caused by disconnected WiFi module.
    • Due to their age, another consideration is that old series system are experiencing increasingly higher rates of motherboard failure as their SMD components wear out (ie, GPU/CPU/SoC, RAM, PMIC).

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted