Hacking CFW help

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to follow the 3DS scene over a year ago, but lost interest in my handheld around the time that Gateway 2.1 Omega came out. I lent it to a friend and recently got it back. So you can appreciate that after coming back here and seeing all the CFW discussion, it's a little confusing and difficult to piece together the different projects and what they do.

I'm leaving town in a few days and I want to bring my 3DS with me. I am hoping someone could be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

-I have a FW 4.1 3DS XL
-I have an R4i3DS Gold Deluxe (I know... don't even remind me how bad of a purchase that was :()
-Looking for a CFW that can be used to play up-to-current 3DS and eShop ROMs, with multiROM support on a single microSD card
-Don't need emuNAND, online play, or eShop support
-Not looking to upgrade my sysNAND FW
-Want the simplest installation (using the blue card DS profile exploit if possible)
-Want to avoid exploits that require downloading a game or using my 3DS's internet connection
-Basically I'm looking for a CFW that will do what Gateway mode does, without any extra features

Sorry if this sounds like amateur hour, but like I said I've been away from my 3DS for a while and am short on time before I leave town. Any help or links to a helpful tutorial are appreciated.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, RXtools would be the best bet. Install the Gateway profile exploit via MSET, format Emunand, and then use rxTools MSET and you're good to go! The only problem is that you can't run .3ds, only .Cia
But basically it is the best thing you can get. :)

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, RXtools would be the best bet. Install the Gateway profile exploit via MSET, format Emunand, and then use rxTools MSET and you're good to go! The only problem is that you can't run .3ds, only .Cia
But basically it is the best thing you can get. :)
Thanks, I will look into RXtools. Is there a simple tool that can convert from .3ds to .cia or is it exceedingly complicated?

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I will look into RXtools. Is there a simple tool that can convert from .3ds to .cia or is it exceedingly complicated?
Usually you can download the Cia directly of the internet. There is a way to convert 3ds to Cia, but it's a little complicated because you would have to make a Xorpad. Best solution is to just download Cias. Every 3DS game has a CIA counterpart on that iso site.

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usually you can download the Cia directly of the internet. There is a way to convert 3ds to Cia, but it's a little complicated because you would have to make a Xorpad. Best solution is to just download Cias. Every 3DS game has a CIA counterpart on that iso site.
Sounds good, thanks for your help.

Final question: what do you mean by format emunand? I myself never installed emunand on my system.

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format Emunand basically means that it formats your SD card and creates an Emunand. So back up that SDCard, make format emunand, and set up RXtools MSET

hunter010709

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using blue card you say..... But don't want to.....

Gateway trolling i see.

Look Gateway is obsolete and your team know it.

You can't even give n3ds 9.9 emunand support anymore and lock it down.

Life sucks but you have a small niche group who will support you.

Bring something new to the table or die gracefully.

This among others is gateway data mining, come on people.

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need emunand, but you can't play games made 7.x and up without it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Using blue card you say..... But don't want to.....

Gateway trolling i see.

Look Gateway is obsolete and your team know it.

You can't even give n3ds 9.9 emunand support anymore and lock it down.

Life sucks but you have a small niche group who will support you.

Bring something new to the table or die gracefully.

This among others is gateway data mining, come on people.
Er.. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about or even read the thread. Calm yo tits

hunter010709

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm confused why this step is needed. Is emunand a requirement for the MSET method?
Oh, no it's not, with GATEWAY of course, you don't risk ( risk, what risk couch Pasta) sysnand cia installs....
Come on mate...

You don't need emunand, but you can't play games made 7.x and up without it.

Er.. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about or even read the thread. Calm yo tits
Yeah i do, gateway has been mining for a while now. Keep your eyes closed if you want. I have a right to say what i see as do you. Leave me alone as i do you.

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chill out Hunter, I don't know what you're talking about with this Gateway affiliation crap.

@Psi-hate

Ok so RXtools isn't able to firmware spoofing beyond 7.x without emunand?

I read this just now: "The .cia container type can only be installed on a 3DS with installation privilege. To unlock the installation feature, you need a modified EmuNAND or Gateway 3DS v2.6 or newer."

Since RXtools uses .cia, is emunand required to run all games?

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, no it's not, with GATEWAY of course, you don't risk ( risk, what risk couch Pasta) sysnand cia installs....
Come on mate...

Yeah i do, gateway has been mining for a while now. Keep your eyes closed if you want.
Man, you're hilarious. Like one of those conspiracy theorists. :P

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chill out Hunter, I don't know what you're talking about with this Gateway affiliation crap.

@Psi-hate

Ok so RXtools isn't able to firmware spoofing beyond 7.x without emunand?

I read this just now: "The .cia container type can only be installed on a 3DS with installation privilege. To unlock the installation feature, you need a modified EmuNAND or Gateway 3DS v2.6 or newer."

Since RXtools uses .cia, is emunand required to run all games?
Yeah. You need to have signature checks patched in order to run cias. RXtools has them patched, allowing you to run Cias. You should be able to inject FBI into the health and safety app to install said Cias.

hunter010709

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
7379571_f520.jpg

Cause they are measuring how fucked they are..... If they can maintain the current payroll in sales.

Though as the naked muscle man from here, who does work for gateway, says, if we all drop them we will loose a good team of devs and in turn progress will slow or halt.

There is and always will be a place for gateway, we don't need bullshit though....

Off topic, funny how wolfy and co, doesn't support piracy but knows how the latest games encryption works. Why not spit it out the way it is. I pirate but won't give it to the masses. Unless you believe they bought an out of region console and the new games just to test the security.....

Everyone does as they do, but don't piss on me and call it rain, you know....

Last edited by hunter010709,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7379571_f520.jpg

Cause they are measuring how fucked they are..... If they can maintain the current payroll in sales.

Though as the naked muscle man from here, who does work for gateway, says, if we all drop them we will loose a good team of devs and in turn progress will slow or halt.

There is and always will be a place for gateway, we don't need bullshit though....

Off topic, funny how wolfy and co, doesn't support piracy but knows how the latest games encryption works. Why not spit it out the way it is. I pirate but won't give it to the masses. Unless you believe they bought an out of region console and the new games just to test the security.....

Everyone does as they do, but don't piss on me and call it rain, you know....

Actually we import most of our games, since we actually do tests against physical carts. Daz imported at least 4 or so DSi carts for testing, and I myself buy my games from either eShop or physical. Works best in the long run. And we don't need an out of region console since region unlocking home is fairly easy. Plus there's plenty to be obtained from the firmware on stuff in the header as well.

Also, I'm not sure 100% what you're blabbing about with Gateway, but if you're trying to say everyone is just leeching off Gateway's features, you aren't wrong to be honest. I'm personally highly doubtful anyone else will ever invest enough time into another arm9 exploit, and ReiNAND flat out said they're waiting for GW. From GWs standpoint, there's no winning move between somehow obtaining keys (if they can) or a new arm9 exploit. Either will be stolen. In any case, this thread isn't the place for discussing that.

Reactions: Zidapi

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually we import most of our games, since we actually do tests against physical carts. Daz imported at least 4 or so DSi carts for testing, and I myself buy my games from either eShop or physical. Works best in the long run. And we don't need an out of region console since region unlocking home is fairly easy. Plus there's plenty to be obtained from the firmware on stuff in the header as well.

Also, I'm not sure 100% what you're blabbing about with Gateway, but if you're trying to say everyone is just leeching off Gateway's features, you aren't wrong to be honest. I'm personally highly doubtful anyone else will ever invest enough time into another arm9 exploit, and ReiNAND flat out said they're waiting for GW. From GWs standpoint, there's no winning move between somehow obtaining keys (if they can) or a new arm9 exploit. Either will be stolen. In any case, this thread isn't the place for discussing that.
Since we are talking about CFW, do you have any info to share about SALT? Just want to know if everything has been going well with research and stuff. Looking forward to it's eventual/possible release.

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been trying to work on the process of installing RXtools after reading tutorials and am still confused on the details.

I have an R4i (no Gateway), but I still start the process with Gateway's launcher.dat. Here are the steps I've arrived at.

1. Install Gateway launcher.dat using R4i DS card and MSET exploit.
2. Run "Format emuNAND" from Gateway menu to create emuNAND partition.
3. Install DevMenu aka. BigBlueMenu to emuNAND.
4. Use DevMenu to inject FBI loader. [Is this step necessary to install .cia files to emuNAND partition instead of sysNAND??]
5. Install RXtools and run RXmode to play .cia backups. Backups will install to emuNAND partition.

Is this right? Still a little hazy on what steps are actually needed to play backups. How necessary are steps 2, 3, and 4?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.