CFW/FW give error "Could not start the software" after booting. Issue when update FW

Leoxama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, as written in the title, I got a switch which gives the error "Could not start the software" after booting (both logos) when launching both CFW and FW. It has 15 burnt fuses but if I read the eMMC using NxNandManager the FW version is 6.1.0.

I have tried to update to 12.0.2 or even 10.0.4 using EmmcHaccGen following this (up to step 12) and this guide but, when I read again using NxNandManager, the version is still 6.1.0. Why doesn't NxNandManager show the new version? I have tried using Android 10 and the console works perfectly, so I am assuming there is an issue with the eMMC. Is it the right procedure to perform the update? Has anyone faced this issue before?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You mean you get this error with games and homebrew?
Then usually it's a problem with sigpatches. either old ones or in the wrong location.
Note that Atmosphere and Hekate both have their own sigpatches in their own folders.

Leoxama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Then usually it's a problem with sigpatches. either old ones or in the wrong location.
Note that Atmosphere and Hekate both have their own sigpatches in their own folders.
No, I actually get it right after the second boot logo and after pressing ok it goes back to Hekate

Leoxama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have tried using ChoiDujour to downgrade to 5.1.0 but when I launch the fw from Hekate for the first time it just reboots to RCM after displaying both logos. If I try to launch the fw 5.1.0 again, it shows the message “could not start the software” after the two logos.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Leoxama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sounds like a demo unit that somebody formatted, softbricking it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-weird-switch-demo-unit.560877/
Your issue appears to be the same as OP's. Look at the last page for modified versions of Atmosphere to enable it to work like a retail unit.
Thank you very much, I have tried the modified version of Atmosphere and It is working perfectly. I have blocked the DNS and I would like to update the OFW in Sysmmc. I used daybreak to update to 12.1.0 and now I can run the OFW from Hekate (skipping the fuse count). However, I cannot access the online shop and NxNandManager says that the BIS keys are invalid, but they are the same I used for the version 6.1.0. BIS keys should be independent from the FW version right? I did not apply any manipulation on the Firmware I used to update. I simply downloaded it online and installed it using daybreak. Why does NxNandManager say that the keyset is invalid? Should I use ChoiDuJourNX to update?

Last edited by Leoxama,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you very much, I have tried the modified version of Atmosphere and It is working perfectly. I have blocked the DNS and I would like to update the OFW in Sysmmc. I used daybreak to update to 12.1.0 and now I can run the OFW from Hekate (skipping the fuse count). However, I cannot access the online shop and NxNandManager says that the BIS keys are invalid, but they are the same I used for the version 6.1.0. BIS keys should be independent from the FW version right? I did not apply any manipulation on the Firmware I used to update. I simply downloaded it online and installed it using daybreak. Why does NxNandManager say that the keyset is invalid? Should I use ChoiDuJourNX to update?
I've never had to mess with this stuff myself so I can't answer most of your questions but you don't need to use ChoiDujourNX. They both install the same files, Daybreak just does it in a safer way.
Make sure you have disabled the built in DNS blocking of Atmosphere if you want to go online as it's enabled by default. However you can't disable it for only sysNAND so you should make sure you use 90DNS and/or PRODINFO blanking on emuNAND so you don't accidentally allow that to connect to Nintendo servers by disabling DNS block. On my phone right now so I can't post proper instructions.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't use ChoiDujourNX. It hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't work on non-Erista units.

RaoTheConqueror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on this more or provide a link? I believe this is probably my issue as to why I cant use homebrew currently as well and have tried various sources for sigpatches. Im guessing the right ones havent been used.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you elaborate on this more or provide a link? I believe this is probably my issue as to why I cant use homebrew currently as well and have tried various sources for sigpatches. Im guessing the right ones havent been used.
Try the sigpatches from ITotalJustice (google them). Both fusee and hekate are the same. Download either and put them on your SD card. I would update atmosphere first before doing that. Then the sigpatches, and finally your Switch HOS (firmware).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RaoTheConqueror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried the 1.2.5 AMS and the patches provided in the link(not the newest patch just released). I have a spare card to test with and all I put on there was AMS 1.2.5, the sig patches, and PFBNeo 5.0. I go to homebrew and hold R then try and start PFBNeo while still holding R and it still goes to error screen and I have to reboot. The last time everything worked I was on Hekate, but ever since I upgraded the FW and the latest AMS then boot with Fusee(since Hekate is no longer usable) I have had this problem with the majority of Homebrew. Is it a directory thing where its not in the right place or something? I just have no clue what I am doing wrong.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/pemu/releases/tag/v5.0

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried the 1.2.5 AMS and the patches provided in the link(not the newest patch just released). I have a spare card to test with and all I put on there was AMS 1.2.5, the sig patches, and PFBNeo 5.0. I go to homebrew and hold R then try and start PFBNeo while still holding R and it still goes to error screen and I have to reboot. The last time everything worked I was on Hekate, but ever since I upgraded the FW and the latest AMS then boot with Fusee(since Hekate is no longer usable) I have had this problem with the majority of Homebrew. Is it a directory thing where its not in the right place or something? I just have no clue what I am doing wrong.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/pemu/releases/tag/v5.0
Are you holding R on a game or the Album?

RaoTheConqueror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After cleaning out the card and starting from scratch and holding R on a game to load homebrew afterward it seems to be good now. I tried this on the old card and it would just error so I may have had something bad there. Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it. Now I'm going to look into forwarders for my homebrew since none of those work currently and may need to create my own if they cant be modified. If you have links where I should start, please let me know. I will be searching here as I thought I saw a few not that long ago.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After cleaning out the card and starting from scratch and holding R on a game to load homebrew afterward it seems to be good now. I tried this on the old card and it would just error so I may have had something bad there. Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it. Now I'm going to look into forwarders for my homebrew since none of those work currently and may need to create my own if they cant be modified. If you have links where I should start, please let me know. I will be searching here as I thought I saw a few not that long ago.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsp-forwarder-tool-for-12.587936/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂