Hacking Cfw for switch?

Blaze9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Myanmar (Burma)
So i heard theres a cfw availble free for switch . Can you tell me its name and its pros and cons.
Thinking whether to do cfw or buy sx pro dongle

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're both CFW. You can run homebrew and backups with both free and paid solutions. Only advantage SX has that it can also run xci files (raw images of the games) and with the free CFW you need to install the games as files on your SD. Other than that... Both get frequent updates. So once you got a jig, you can either do it completely free with something like ReiNX and booting the CFW with your PC or Android phone, or grab some knockoff dongle for that, or go paid and grab SX Pro, which comes with a great dongle and jig.

This is basically all information you need, before the endless discussions about SX stealing the work of others and charging for this start.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Most people just buy sxos because the rcm clip is awesome and the dongle looks cool. Sxos also updated frequently. Ignore the haters below.

This is not hating but you failed to mention that there are free CFW options out there for the op, instead only mentioning SX OS. Your answer was a SX OS propaganda, not what the OP asked, and i dont think most people buy it these days like you said, since the free options are just as good.

Well op there are free options right now that as far as i know are very similar: ReiNX and RajNX, you can search their threads here on this board, the tutorials are good and its really easy to install them. Both can only run NSP backups.

SX OS is a paid OS, but If you buy their pro version it comes with a dongle and high quality jig. It is also the only CFW that can run XCl backups as well, but that is not that relevant since NSP files are considered better.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use ReiNX and am I am happy with it, only con for casual users in my opinion is no xci support.
Since there are enough nsp out there and I am not playing online it isn't even a con for me.

If you travel a lot with you switch you should think about getting yourself sx pro (because it is easy), or buy a good jig and injector for half the price of it.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Most people just buy sxos because the rcm clip is awesome and the dongle looks cool. Sxos also updated frequently. Ignore the haters below.

That was NOT what the OP asked for, stick to the topic in question
There are three usable ones right now: Atmosphere, ReiNX and RajNX. I believe most people use ReiNX but don't quote me on that one. The only cons that it has is that it doesn't run .XCI(Game cart dumps) files but .NSP files(E-Shop dumps) are just as good so it's not THAT big a con in my opinion

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Hekate with signature checks patched out and any custom kernel processes you want to use is pretty great. The SDFiles compilation by @tomGER is the best place to start if you don't know what you're doing, as it makes it as easy as copy-pasting the contents of a zip to the SD card and homebrew and backup loading just werking.

Avoid paid software such as SX OS like the plague, currently there is no advantage to them over the free software solutions. If you're willing to pay for ease of access, high-quality dongles, modchips, and jigs can be purchased for less than $10 that work better than the "SX Pro" hardware.

tomGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hekate with signature checks patched out and any custom kernel processes you want to use is pretty great. The SDFiles compilation by @tomGER is the best place to start if you don't know what you're doing, as it makes it as easy as copy-pasting the contents of a zip to the SD card and homebrew and backup loading just werking.

Avoid paid software such as SX OS like the plague, currently there is no advantage to them over the free software solutions. If you're willing to pay for ease of access, high-quality dongles, modchips, and jigs can be purchased for less than $10 that work better than the "SX Pro" hardware.
You mean these: https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases :P

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was NOT what the OP asked for, stick to the topic in question
There are three usable ones right now: Atmosphere, ReiNX and RajNX. I believe most people use ReiNX but don't quote me on that one. The only cons that it has is that it doesn't run .XCI(Game cart dumps) files but .NSP files(E-Shop dumps) are just as good so it's not THAT big a con in my opinion

Says you hating on free alternative, which is what the OP asked, maybe actually read next time

Maybe it is the both of you that need to read as the OP does mention SX/OS

i see no hating on the below quote, and still is within topic...

But i do see you wiiando and ashura getting upset that he mentions sx os .. grow up.
His response was ok..

Back to topic

Name: anything with sigpatches. So Atmosphere, RaiNX or any other general CFW with sigpatches
Pros: free, open source
Cons: No XCI loader yet. Which nobody really cares about as you can install NSPs on all CFWs (with sigpatches)
As kubas has explained that is pretty much it ,
there are loads of cons and pros by using closed and or open source..

Both are easy to use, both get updates... one you pay for and one you do not.
I suggest you do your own research to which you can make your own decision..
I personally use both sx os and opensource, You need to find something that works for your needs and not because someone else thinks one is better then the other.. do a little research on Atmosphere, ReiNX and RajNX and SX OS.

plenty of information can be found on all, around the switch gba temp forums/threads.

Each have there ways of sending payloads, or running custom firmware.
sxos has its own dongle but its payload can be used on any dongle or sent via pc or phone.
Open source payload also can use any dongle and also be sent by phone or pc...

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is the both of you that need to read as the OP does mention SX/OS

i see no hating on the below quote, and still is within topic...

But i do see you wiiando and ashura getting upset that he mentions sx os .. grow up.
His response was ok..

Back to topic

As kubas has explained that is pretty much it ,
there are loads of cons and pros by using closed and or open source..

Both are easy to use, both get updates... one you pay for and one you do not.
I suggest you do your own research to which you can make your own decision..
I personally use both sx os and opensource, You need to find something that works for your needs and not because someone else thinks one is better then the other.. do a little research on Atmosphere, ReiNX and RajNX and SX OS.

plenty of information can be found on all, around the switch gba temp forums/threads.

Each have there ways of sending payloads, or running custom firmware.
sxos has its own dongle but its payload can be used on any dongle or sent via pc or phone.
Open source payload also can use any dongle and also be sent by phone or pc...

Not hating at all, he doesn't even go into any depth about what the actual pros or cons as asked, they all have their pros and cons, his reasoning for people going for SX OS is just crap, a cool dongle and a awesome rcm jig, ye because that's what we all care about, how cool it looks for that 10 seconds you use it during a boot up.

Could of actually responded properly, stating what SX OS actually offers, instead it's just a SX OS fanboy reply, simple as that

And all "CFW" receive updates, not getting into how fast one is compared to the other, as that's just a different can of worms

But you're correct, I didn't read it properly either.

Last edited by wiiando,
Reactions: Canna

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main con with every cfw is getting banned. Which you shouldn't do before the 18th. I forsee the entire switch scene depleting exponentially after the online service starts. There's really no reason to mod it after that because we'll have nes games and some secret prize thing they haven't started what yet.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main con with every cfw is getting banned. Which you shouldn't do before the 18th. I forsee the entire switch scene depleting exponentially after the online service starts. There's really no reason to mod it after that because we'll have nes games and some secret prize thing they haven't started what yet.
Bans, you get ban, he gets ban, i get ban. Thats all you guys think about it, even sleeping you will get ban. Jesus!!

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
SX OS is the only one that offers XCI Support

You can convert XCI to NSP if you want but Nintendo seems to be banning people for using NSP

So SX OS really is the safest as well as being the most user friendly

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st-i do not care if i get ever ban!!
Am going to keep buying more consoles if that case happens.
2nd-guess what? I do not play or go online.
Thank you !!
Now you're just being dumb.

The guy asked for cons for modding your switch. The only con i know that exist is that it gets you banned. Whether or not someone cares personally about being banned is irrelevant to it being a con.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I forsee the entire switch scene depleting exponentially after the online service starts

You can't say that FOR CERTAIN. There are still PLENTY f reasons to mod after that service comes online and honestly NES games are a really POOR excuse not to mod since by modding you can do SO MUCH MORE in terms of emulation. If someone cares so much about online and the offered NES games then they shouldn't be modding period

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?