CFW and Piracy. What do you think about them?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,832
  • Replies 91
  • Likes 4

¿CFW and piracy are related?

• Total voters

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
the problem is, that people only want to mod their consoles to play free games without buying them, and to go online and cheat, very few people will actually use it for non piracy purposes, like media, emulators, homebrew games, the biggest thing is that android smartphones and tablets exists, back before then homebrew apps and code on consoles was more common, because a console was a computer that was cheap but had a good power to cost ratio

i blame all the people on youtube who copy and paste tuts : hack your sony/ninty/m$ console, and get free games!

this doesn't help

i'm not against piracy, it's going to happen, but I will say you should pay the developers and engineers, stop being a complete thief, you don't know how much they have to do to get the game and console in your lap, how many sleepless nights debugging and re-tweaking

how can one be a fan of a company if they just steal their products and don't pay for them? that's just greed and an ego problem

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I voted yes, because they obviously ARE related, but CFW isn't just for piracy, users like me believe we should have total freedom over our purchased hardware. CFW gives us that freedom. At least most of it.

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
- ¿Do you use CFW?
Yes
- ¿Do you think CFW is wrong?
No
- ¿Do you think piracy is wrong?
If you cant afford the game: No
If you can afford the game but wouldnt have bought it anyway: No
If you can afford the game and would buy the game: Yes
- ¿Do you think is wrong to automatically relate CFW with piracy?
No

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- ¿Do you use CFW?
Yes
No
If you cant afford the game: No
If you can afford the game but wouldnt have bought it anyway: No
If you can afford the game and would buy the game: Yes
No

95% of people once they start using cfw, will likely not buy games even if it's one they will pay for, because they can now blow 60-70 bucks on something else instead, that is a will power issue, just go on a computer and download a file.....

not being able to afford the game isn't an excuse, when i was a kid, i made money by fixing people computers, cutting grass, helping my parents, if you want, earn it,

these are just excuses to make stealing something sound okay, stealing is stealing, just because you don't want to pay, or can't pay doesn't make it right, or legal, is still stealing, and if enough people do it, can bankrupt a company, or they will stop releasing physical media, and make everything download only, which can be made much harder to pirate

piracy/cfw is good for one thing, long term archival of software

look at my SIG, i have room talk in this department

D

Deleted User

OP
when i was a kid, i made money by fixing people computers, cutting grass, helping my parents, if you want, earn it,
i hate this argument, not on every country people are willing to hire kids for such things, and most parents feel reluctant to give their kids money, even if they do chores

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- ¿Do you use CFW? Yes
- ¿Do you think CFW is wrong? No
- ¿Do you think piracy is wrong? Yes
- ¿Do you think is wrong to automatically relate CFW with piracy? Yes

piracy is what ruining homebrew scene!!!!!!!
homebrew is make your own apps and use other homemade apps that one programmed.
custom themes, cheat engine, weather app, video player, music player, more more

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will admit that I pirate games for all systems aside from the switch, but I don't ever play those games. the only games I play are ones I legitimately bought like 3d world on the wii u, which I'm playing right now. there's just no obligation to play games that I didn't buy. I don't care what others do with their systems, but that's just the way I am with mine. I don't believe hacked systems belong online in any shape or form, so don't bitch if you get banned.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hate this argument, not on every country people are willing to hire kids for such things, and most parents feel reluctant to give their kids money, even if they do chores

i hate the argument that stealing and piracy is right because you can't afford it, yeah i understand that, but that's the cost of owning a game console,

just like owning a car, it's a money pit, if it cost too much, buy a smartphone

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand pirating if you live in certain countries. I think I read that maybe three or four years ago final fantasy xii was finally released in some middle eastern country. in that event, what can you do unless you want to spend a ludicrous sum of money?

though piracy might not be stealing, in some ways it is. I was a part of the ps3 inner circle for a time, and I can tell you that duplex has a group of people who break into warehouses and steal games physically, so the games they release are usually not store bought. in fact, one or more of them were caught at one point and arrested. I'm sure they're still doing the same thing in the ps4 scene. duplex also has control over what other groups release and what they release.

D

Deleted User

OP
i hate the argument that stealing and piracy is right because you can't afford it, yeah i understand that, but that's the cost of owning a game console,

just like owning a car, it's a money pit, if it cost too much, buy a smartphone
except for the developer the difference between not buying and pirating financially mean the same, so you'd only screw over yourself bt not pirating

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except for the developer the difference between not buying and pirating financially mean the same, so you'd only screw over yourself bt not pirating

not buying is not buying, pirating is stealing regardless, there's a difference, even if you weren't going to buy it it's still theft, because you wouldn't play it if you can't run a romloader, and download the pirated (illegal/ copyrighted) rom for free, because you won't buy the game, you'll play it only if you pirate (steal) a copy of it, it's called copyright law and IP theft

you can pirate roms and whatnot, like i say everyone does it to a degree, but when you get a DMCA notice, or a C&D from your isp, don't be surprised, normally you're fine, but if companies really want to, you can be held liable just as much as tx, remember possession is 9/10 of the law

it may get to the point where they fuck it, if you run cfw we'll effectively brick/ban your console from running any of our software, most people don't read terms of use anyway, hacking/and cfw is included on these

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- ¿Do you use CFW?
before I answer let me just say that I have some some weird (awful sus) answers in this thread
1.) use it ?!? no I abuse it. if it had a body I'd be in bed with it doing all types of things with it with the lights off, before smacking it on its rear parts before asking it to grab me another cold one.

2.) hell yeah it's wrong anyone who says differently is just kidding themselves as others have mentioned it's not wrong to be able to do what you want with the product you paid for what is wrong is the fact that we pay for a product that we in fact cannot do anything we want on and expect it to do more then it's supposed to do so we jump through hoops to get out of a jail we bought our way into when in reality the best thing to do would be to use our purchasing power and let our money speak so that we can actually get the features we want in our devices let's get real although it would never happen if 90% of Sony customer sent a letter to Sony demanding Linux or they were going to go to Nintendo and not buy a PlayStation 5 then guess what Sony would be looking into (also I never got my cold one:wtf:)

3.) again hell yeah it's wrong anyone who says differently is again simply fooling themselves. other forms of theft people would consider wrong period, but because it's digital ones and zeros and all people presume that there's no actual theft. you know what else amounts to all ones and zeros cryptocurrency, and Bitcoin is still worth more than the US dollar ... so I'm not hearing anything about how ones and zeros don't equal money as long as cryptocurrency exists there will be no denying that 1's + 0's = $$$ and also no denying that digital theft is still theft

3. bonus) a pirate and a lot there's no other way to put that but I also like to support the Developers not all the developers mind you but when I pirate a game that I enjoy and would like to play a sequel to or movie that the same I enjoyed would like to see a sequel to or a book or an album Etc I then go out and buy a new copy of said movie book album film as I said earlier it's best to speak with your money or else how will companies know what it is they should produce

4.) It's not wrong to relate them some consoles can only pirate after installing custom firmware what's more the first thing out of 90% of people's mouths who talked about how they installed custom firmware not to Pirate but just for Homebrew is the word emulation perhaps I'm mistaken but I really doubt they had the tools and the retro game carts available to rip every single rom that they play instead they're not even fooling themselves they know damn well that they went to a ROM site or the like to download all their retro ROMs

Last edited by wormdood,

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before I answer let me just say that I have some some weird (awful sus) answers in this thread
1.) use it ?!? no I abuse it. if it had a body I'd be in bed with it doing all types of things with it with the lights off, before smacking it on its rear parts before asking it to grab me another cold one.

2.) hell yeah it's wrong anyone who says differently is just kidding themselves as others have mentioned it's not wrong to be able to do what you want with the product you paid for what is wrong is the fact that we pay for a product that we in fact cannot do anything we want on and expect it to do more then it's supposed to do so we jump through hoops to get out of a jail we bought our way into when in reality the best thing to do would be to use our purchasing power and let our money speak so that we can actually get the features we want in our devices let's get real although it would never happen if 90% of Sony customer sent a letter to Sony demanding Linux or they were going to go to Nintendo and not buy a PlayStation 5 then guess what Sony would be looking into (also I never got my cold one:wtf:)

3.) again hell yeah it's wrong anyone who says differently is again simply fooling themselves. other forms of theft people would consider wrong period, but because it's digital ones and zeros and all people presume that there's no actual theft. you know what else amounts to all ones and zeros cryptocurrency, and Bitcoin is still worth more than the US dollar ... so I'm not hearing anything about how ones and zeros don't equal money as long as cryptocurrency exists there will be no denying that 1's + 0's = $$$ and also no denying that digital theft is still theft

3. bonus) a pirate and a lot there's no other way to put that but I also like to support the Developers not all the developers mind you but when I pirate a game that I enjoy and would like to play a sequel to or movie that the same I enjoyed would like to see a sequel to or a book or an album Etc I then go out and buy a new copy of said movie book album film as I said earlier it's best to speak with your money or else how will companies know what it is they should produce

tl;dr

any excuse that piracy is right and okay, and is fine, you're fooling yourselves, point blank, period.

do not become a software engineer or hardware engineer, or work in the computing field professionally with that attitude, you can go to prison for corporate espionage, also avoid jobs that require non-disclosure agreements too, you leak their secrets, they'll leak your ass

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- ¿Do you use CFW?
If one is available for a console, even a brand new out of the box console, YES, every time.

Not in the slightest, I think it's wrong that companies try to lock up their devices to prevent users from doing anything they choose to with them. I don't care what a EULA or any other agreement says. I spend that much money on a physical device, it and everything in or attached to it belongs to ME and ME ALONE. And I'll do with it as I like.

Absolutely not. Aside from being able to get and play/view games/movies/music/books that otherwise one might never get to access, there's also the fact that a "pirated" game/movie/album/book you have forever, and no company or individual can take access away from you, or remove it from your devices (or backup locations, either); alleviating the burden of artificially excessive under-supply or artificially ridiculous pricing and availability structures is also a perfect argument for "piracy". In short, "Piracy" is an institution that is an acceptable means of acquisition - and will always be here. It's the term "Piracy" that is wrong - it's liberation.

Yes, as there are plenty of people with moral sticks up their asses that simply want to put a custom theme or gamer picture on their console. And no, because if you're going to go through all the trouble to jump through hoops getting CFW working on a console, it's moronic to not avail yourself of the free games that go along with that. It's the term "Piracy" that is wrong in that instance as well. Liberation.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can go to prison for corporate espionage
could you please do me a favor and show me where anything I said sounds like corporate espionage

also avoid jobs that require non-disclosure agreements too, you leak their secrets, they'll leak your ass
again for some reason you grasp at straws I'm not leaking Trade Secrets here I'm telling it as it is I'm simply telling people to speak with their money in order to get companies to produce the products they would like to buy in the first place

And lastly hell yeah my attitude sucks but but in your rebuttal you never said I was wrong on any point cuz you can't like I said I speak the truth

Geez bro these were all questions about people making illegal modifications to their consoles and yes at least here in the US it is illegal to modify your console you trying to hit me with how illegal I'm a sounding is just silly

Last edited by wormdood,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just say this: I don't really care if people pirate. I do it or have done it in the past. It's naive to think that that's not the reason most people want a system hacked. Though I'd only hack my switch for the saves. I have to spend money in my payee account.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

D

Deleted User

OP
Yes and no.

CFW allows you to "revive" a console to use for everything it can and more, but it can also be used to play pirated software so the two are connected.

It's very much like preserving media and piracy.

nope, you paid for the console, you should have whatever FW you want
Don't they say we're buying a license, not the hardware/software?

pls don't pirate.
How are folks supposed to be able to play, like, The Simpsons Arcade? At an arcade? Most people don't have access to one, so their only option is to pirate it.

An arcade game I love which never had a proper Console/PC port (there was for PS1 except that sucked) was Radikal Bikers so I'm stuck to play the pirated version.

rm8Ynn5.jpg

Though to be fair, you're right for the most part. Most people use it to pirate games available for sale.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you please do me a favor and show me where anything I said sounds like corporate espionage

again for some reason you grasp at straws I'm not leaking Trade Secrets here I'm telling it as it is I'm simply telling people to speak with their money in order to get companies to produce the products they would like to buy in the first place

And lastly hell yeah my attitude sucks but but in your rebuttal you never said I was wrong on any point cuz you can't like I said I speak the truth

Geez bro these were all questions about people making illegal modifications to their consoles and yes at least here in the US it is illegal to modify your console you trying to hit me with how illegal I'm a sounding is just silly

first of all, you sound butthurt? its hilarious cuz i wasn't even referring to you in that post, i was speaking in general terms

geez read

btw

tl;dr = too long didn't read, mean i've summarized your point
for those who aren't reading all of that

what im saying is a generalization
if you're taking it personal it's not my fault, you may be a bit insecure

its not illegal to mod your console, stealing is illegal, you can run all the open source homebrew you want, it's using that same knowlege to download rom copies you don't legally own, like you say 1's and 0s still has value, its called copyright theft, and intellectual property theft

second i'm just saying from a dev pov (i'm an independent dev for ninty so i can partly speak on this), they don't play with this kind of stuff, just saying companies in the computer and IT field won't hire you if you are knowingly open to piracy and things of such nature, if thats the career choice you want, and how secure is cybersecurity if they hire a bunch of pro piracy programmers/engineers?

yeah i used to pirate everything, but i got older, and pay bills and work, so i buy my games, so the devs that write code make a living that deal with debt and bills that have to get paid too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended