Hacking cfg-usb loader refuses to find .cht for some games

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I've posted repeatedly on this subject on the official thread for cfg-usb, it never gets answered, or it just gets flat out ignored, so I'm posting here.

Very simply, among the list of games I've since put on my external hard drive for cfg-usb to load includes a few GameCube games like 1000 Year Door (prime example for the sake of this thread). While some games seem to have next to no useful codes available for the cheat hook (such as Metroid Prime), the app has been very good about finding them for wii games... for the most part. But in the case of 1000 year door, while there is a myriad of official AR codes available (more than I'd need for the purpose of replaying the game), every time I try to search for codes for this game, the program just errors out insisting that there are none. To which I must be compelled to ask... what the hell does it think THESE ARE?

At this point in time, my questions would be as follows:
  • How do I make the app see these codes and save them?
  • Can I write up the file it's looking for myself for this game and call it a day?
  • Failing all this, I'd be just as happy if I could find the homebrew that was out there to load up the iso for the Wii-compatible Action Replay for GameCube games and fill in the gap by playing with the real disc and enabling its codes. But since the only links I can find with my google-fu are all dead, I must wonder if anyone here has it mirrored somewhere (filetrip, perhaps?)...
I'm trying to be patient in hoping there is a solution, but it's been several months now with this issue still occurring, and since cfg-usb mod won't make a newer build than 70r51 available, I'm stuck. :(

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wii softmods don't use AR codes. They use Gecko codes. As far as I know, they are totally incompatible.

Check gecko code sites and you'll see that some games have no entries. This is because in order to make these codes, you need a USB Gecko or other debugging hardware for the Wii, and not everybody has one. Apparently the people that have these just don't have certain games, or never bothered making the codes.

Feel free to get a USB Gecko yourself and make your own memory modification codes.
EDIT: The point being that the alternative is getting an AR anyways.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/USB_Gecko
I don't know where you'd get them nowadays. If they're cheap enough (and easy to use on a modern OS) I might even consider one myself just to be able to make my own codes and junk, since yeah, as you found some of the code lists are lacking or don't exist.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that link just shows me what it is... but doesn't show where to get one, or what it would cost.

Anyway, thanks to a stroke of fortune, I did find the download package to the AR booter app... and while I follow the directions in the video on how to run the app, I then get to where the screen shows

"Reading Disc ID..." (need a real GC disc in in time for this or it'll error out there)
"unable to initialize fat"
"unable to find dol" and then just... exits. :(

I know this homebrew worked before, and was using it with success.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought Wii games used Ocarina's cheat Database?
Or are those the same?
Yeah, Gecko OS was just the patching homebrew/launcher used to apply the codes originally, whether they're called Gecko codes or Ocarina codes seems to depend on who you ask and when some documentation was written. I'm not sure which came into practice first.

EDIT: Forgot "OS" to differentiate between the Wii-side launcher and the physical Gecko device.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS

Reactions: Hielkenator

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I'm checking it out now, and it looks good so far. For example "infinite time" for Soul Calibur II comes out as 043A3694 00000063 which looks like "address 99-in-hex" to me!

Unfortunately I can't actually get Soul Calibur II to launch, so I can't test if these work...
http://pastebin.ca/2378736
Some codes I grabbed off the internet and converted/stripped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou