CFG USB Loader goes to black screen on game load

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by essidluther, Jan 24, 2011.

1. essidluther
    OP

Newcomer essidluther Newbie

United States
    I've had my wii modded before with the GX loader and that worked fine, and then I switched over to CFG USB Loader. This worked fine until I decided that I needed more space for games. I wanted to upgrade my harddrive, so I copied the games over to my computer's harddrive, formatted my new drive to FAT32, and put the games inside of the wbfs folder on the new drive.
    The problem is that the games don't seem to be loading properly anymore. For example, a bowling game I have loads fine, but freezes after there is a transition in 'levels' or goes to a new bowling game within the game. Mario Kart doesn't load up at all, and just goes to a black screen.

I've tried fixing this with the following steps:
    • Reinstalled all IOS mods I had installed before
    • Reinstalled the CFG USB Loader
    • Reinstalled Homebrew
    • Reformatted the drive and loaded all games on again
    • Put Mario Kart on a USB drive to see if it would load off of there (no such luck, so I don't -think- it was the hard drive)
    If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'd be happy to take anything I could get. If there's any more information needed, please let me know what it is, and possibly what to do to access that information (such as whatever is installed on the Wii). The hard drive is a 1TB Western Digital and the Wii has the latest firmware (it worked just fine with this before the hard drive upgrade).

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

with cfg you can use different cios for each game

3. essidluther
    OP

United States
    Problem is, Mario Kart doesn't use a different IOS. It worked just fine on the last hard drive with the default load option (248) but have also tried 247 and 249. Always went to the black screen right after it said it was loading the game.

4. zizer

Try use rev20 base 56

5. essidluther
    OP

United States
    I believe that's what I'm using. The tutorial I used was this:
    Full Guide
    This particular step

Following the instructions, I believe base 56 is in slot 248, the one I've been using as standard/default for the games. And I used the cIOSx rev 20 installer.

6. zizer

cfg use 249 slot as default

7. essidluther
    OP

United States
    Always? Because when I load up CFG USB Loader, at the bottom it reads the version I'm using, which is now v65b6, I believe (I updated to this today to try to make sure this wasn't the issue. I also tried v64 and v63). Beneath that, it reads "248[FRAG]".
    Here is one image showing the global options, and here are the game options. These are all at their default values according to what I'm given when I first modded the Wii.

8. zizer

v65b6 is latest , good
    yes , you are right , 248 is your default , what about base?

9. essidluther
    OP

United States
    Maybe this would help solve a few questions for the future. I'm pretty sure that 248 is base 56, since I followed the tutorial to the letter.

10. zizer

248 base 56 - it is good
    try reinstall 249 (stub)

11. essidluther
    OP

United States
    I still get a black screen when I try to load.
    IOS249 still shows as a stub. I'm not sure what that means?

I think I did what you asked. I went to Homebrew, loaded the rev 20 installer, and followed the instructions on the tutorial according to what it said. Namely, it was selection IOS236 as the IOS to use for the installation, and then installing IOS 56 v5661 into IOS248, and IOS57 v5918. If there is anything I should change as to your instructions, please let me know.