Hacking CFG USB Loader GC games problems

Zhnigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
When playing GC games, I occasionally get the same kind of problems that you get on a regular console that has difficulties reading a disc: stuttering music, pauses in cutscenes, temporal freezing, slow load times, etc. In particular, in MGS:TS I'm getting skippy music and some codec lines take a long time to load, with characters staring at each other in silence. In Eternal Darkness, I sometimes get lengthy black screens when moving between location as the next one loads.

I'm using Configurable USB Loader 70r51 with DIOS MIOS 2.2+, is there any way to fix this by fiddling with settings? Thanks in advance.

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
list of possible problems that it could be:
1. bad rip ( i doubt it)
2. your usb is NOT formatted to FAT32 with 32 kb clustersize (probably)
3. your usb is good enough

Zhnigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm pretty sure it's formatted to FAT32 with 32 kb clusters, and regular Wii games work just fine. Do I need to use some kind of image manager to transfer images to the HDD, maybe? I was using Wii Backup Manager for wii games, but with GC, I just used the windows drag-n-drop.

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You need to use DiscEX to convert the ISO games to a format that dios mios accept.

-Download DiscEX-v0.9-cred.rar http://filetrip.net/dl?iAy9y9S8Fi and extract
-Put the Game ISO on the same folder as DiscEX
-Select the game iso, and push to discex.exe
-Wait until the game be converted
-The game converted will appear on a new folder with the game ID, copy that folder and put on GAMES folder in your HDD and try to run

This is optional > Before you use the ISO on DiscEX, you can also use GCM Utility 0.5 to compress the game iso, saving space, but some games can not work with compression, so test before using GCM Utility to compress

Dios Mios 2.2 is old

I Also recommend to Update your Dios Mios to 2.10, and download the latest boot.dool from CFG Usb Loader mod, wich is 70r65

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
You're correct that 2.2 is old and he should first upgrade to 2.10, but you do not need to "convert" the iso format. Also the correct link for discex is this one, and it's on upload.to not filetrip.net. The CFG Loader version makes no difference, but yes regardless he should update.

Zhnigo - plug ur usb into pc, right-clic in folder and select "new text document", open with notepad and add 1 character, and save. Then right click it and select properties, it'll say "size: 1 bytes" and "size on disk: XX.00 KB" <-- that tells you what the cluster size is. FYI I really hate those annoying file-sharing sites, I suggest you get yourself jdownloader, makes life a bit easier.

Zhnigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The game converted will appear on a new folder with the game ID, copy that folder and put on GAMES folder in your HDD and try to run

Thanks, that's the method I've used, but I'm not sure if it was DiscEX or another similar program. By the way, does it matter if I use a special program manager to put the files on my Wii HDD, or just get them there from Windows Explorer?

Aractus - Thanks, I'll make sure to check it when I get home.

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're correct that 2.2 is old and he should first upgrade to 2.10, but you do not need to "convert" the iso format. Also the correct link for discex is this one, and it's on upload.to not filetrip.net. The CFG Loader version makes no difference, but yes regardless he should update.

Zhnigo - plug ur usb into pc, right-clic in folder and select "new text document", open with notepad and add 1 character, and save. Then right click it and select properties, it'll say "size: 1 bytes" and "size on disk: XX.00 KB" <-- that tells you what the cluster size is. FYI I really hate those annoying file-sharing sites, I suggest you get yourself jdownloader, makes life a bit easier.

I was going to post that link you posted, but as it was not working in my browser i posted the filetrip link, i think it's the same DiscEx version, no ?

Thanks, that's the method I've used, but I'm not sure if it was DiscEX or another similar program. By the way, does it matter if I use a special program manager to put the files on my Wii HDD, or just get them there from Windows Explorer?

Aractus - Thanks, I'll make sure to check it when I get home.

After the conversion, I copy the folder from the game manually from windows explorer to my hdd ,without any backup manager

Zhnigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Actually I had DM 2.8 at the time, it was showing up in the USBCFGL options as "2.2+".

I've checked the cluster size, which is indeed 32 kb, installed DM 2.10 and copied the images to the HDD anew, this time using the "align to 32 KB" option in DMToolbox. After a quick check, the problem seems to go away, at least for now. I'll let know if it comes back.

Thanks to everyone!

Zhnigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hello everyone again, some more checking actually suggests that the problem persists. Any more ideas on how to fix it? My USB drive is Seagate Expansion 500, it was one of the highest rated drives in the Wii compatibility list, so I'd be really upset if it is the source of the problem.

darkvam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same thing happen to me in MGS:TS with dios mios. I found it weird since that game doesn't have audio streaming. Anyways I have the devolution plugin installed as well so I tried that and the problem went away. Only problem with that is that devolution displays the game in 480i instead of 480p. Oh well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM