ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
gam_dsiframe_580-copy.jpg

Japan's Computer Entertainment Suppliers Association recently conducted a study of the the world's 114 most popular sites for illegal game downloads in order to get a rough estimate on how much the industry has lost due to software piracy. The results aren't pretty: According to Andriasang's report on the group's calculations, piracy on the DS and PSP alone between 2004 and 2009 cost the worldwide games industry roughly 3.816 trillion yen, or around $41.7 billion. Join us in a "holy crap," won't you? Holy crap.

CESA noted that peer-to-peer downloads couldn't be tracked under their study, so the actual results could end up being much higher than this initial figure. We guess the industry's learned a pricey lesson about ... umm, DRM restrictions, or day-one paid downloadable content, or dedicated servers, or selling things at a negotiable price for charity.
Source
QUOTEJust how much money has piracy cost the game industry? The Computer Entertainment Suppliers Association (CESA) believes the figure to be over 3.816 trillion yen.

The organization, which also organizes the Tokyo Game Show, shared today the results of an investigation into video game piracy that it conducted with the cooperation of Tokyo University's Baba Lab.

The investigation resulted in a figure of 3.816 trillion yen in worldwide losses resulting from piracy on just the DS and PSP between 2004 and June 2009. Domestically, the figure was 954 billion yen.

To arrive at these figures, researchers checked download counts at the top 114 piracy sites for the Japanese versions of the top 20 software titles from 2004 to 2009. They calculated the total Japanese figure by factoring in the price of the games and the ratio of sales for the top 20 to the whole market. To get the worldwide figure, they multiplied by four under the presumption that Japan accounts for 25% of of the world's software market.

Peer-to-peer sharing methods like Winny and Share were not included in the investigation. CESA notes that because of this, the actual figures could be much higher.

CESA also reported a number of other findings from its investigations. The country with the most servers hosting piracy sites is America. China is number 2. Together, these two countries account for 60% of all servers. Researchers weren't able to find any domestic servers.

America is number one in terms of number of accesses to piracy sites. Japan is number 2, with China third.

For more from CESA's investigation, including a link to a PDF with the full results, see this press release (the PDF link is at the bottom, above the phone numbers).
Remember folks: Downloads don't equate to sales.
Us pirates are collectors and since the games are free we will download an awful lot of them. If we did not have access to this then we would still buy games but we would not buy in the same volumes that we download.
Also this doesn't take into account some people who try before they buy, only buying if they feel the game is worth it. It also doesn't take into account people who are trying to find out which game is best (for example a sudoku game).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Us pirates are collectors and since the games are free we will download an awful lot of them. If we did not have access to this then we would still buy games but we would not buy in the same volumes that we download.
Also this doesn't take into account some people who try before they buy, only buying if they feel the game is worth it.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Also this doesn't take into account some people who try before they buy, only buying if they feel the game is worth it.
Yeah, I was thinking about putting something like that in the post, as I regularly try out games by downloading them. You mind if I put this in the 1st post?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so according to CESA if there was no pirating, the average pirate that can only afford 1-2 games would all of a sudden have ±1000 bucks to pay for games they would otherwise have downloaded.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but there's one crazy flaw about your concept TC, most of the games that are pirated is usually the highly popular/ overhyped games. That alone from 2004 to 2009 is not surprising to me since you did have TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts DS, PKMN Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Devil Survivor, Knights in the Nightmare, Castlevania OoE, Disgaea DS, Phantasy Star 0, Chrono Trigger DS, Megaman ZX and Megaman ZX: Advent, and a very few others. I didn't even include the PSP games since I don't which ones are popular/overhyped.

I can see around 41 Billion because that means clearly everyone around the damn globe that has a DS/PSP usually knows how to pirate and that's not true. Maybe the resources estimated from the count number of downloads times the price it will cost to buy those then add all the (money) to form some kind of imaginary number. Although...how the hell did they calculated a sum of loss profit not even including the multiple P2P downloads they happen from one rom? Then you got to include people who share those roms with other peers in RL and not the internet.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep saying, all they have to do is stop producing DS games completely. Go with DSi and 3DS games only, no more regular DS. Piracy would be cut to nil, instantly.....at least as far as their newer handheld systems are concerned.

It's not that I want it to happen or anything, but it's inevitable that the regular DS will become obsolete. Might as well be sooner than later if they're REALLY worried about piracy.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
yeah they say they lost 41.7 bill but they also made about 100 bil. piracy only takes a small chunk out of their sales really
laugh.gif
mellow.gif

Those figures you just said means we took 40% of their profits

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh these silly people. these figures are made up because they want to use it for their own agenda. like everyone is saying, downloads do not equal sales. i wouldn't even own a ds or psp if it weren't for cfw and flashcarts. no point...i wouldn't pay over 100 bucks for something that can't do homebrew. homebrew usually entails piracy, but thats just an added effect.

Jeff88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why do you guys need to justify yourself for pirating? I know that I'm pirating and its wrong, but I don't go around making sound excuses for doing them.
What's with the holier than thou attitude here?

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeff88 said:
Why do you guys need to justify yourself for pirating? I know that I'm pirating and its wrong, but I don't go around making sound excuses for doing them.
What's with the holier than thou attitude here?
People pirate for many different reasons. Yes, they pirate. Yes, it's wrong.
Not as drastic, but similar enough, running a red light on either accident, or there's an emergency. They do it, they know it's wrong.

Example excuse - I pirate because I don't have $2000+ laying around to be spent on games (Imports alone can go from 50 to 100+ per game). If there were no excuse, then there'd be no point in piracy.

On another note, there's not really any attitude around here. It's like being blamed for things you didn't do, or having some sort of negativity pointed towards you. Like for example, in MapleStory. "All Scanians/Berans/Whatevers suck", not all of them do. Someone would say something about it.

In this case, piracy is being fairly exaggerated/over exaggerated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded