CESA calculates gaming industry losses due to portable piracy

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Remember folks: Downloads don't equate to sales.
    Us pirates are collectors and since the games are free we will download an awful lot of them. If we did not have access to this then we would still buy games but we would not buy in the same volumes that we download.
    Also this doesn't take into account some people who try before they buy, only buying if they feel the game is worth it. It also doesn't take into account people who are trying to find out which game is best (for example a sudoku game).

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Remember folks: Downloads don't equate to sales.
    Us pirates are collectors and since the games are free we will download an awful lot of them. If we did not have access to this then we would still buy games but we would not buy in the same volumes that we download.
    Also this doesn't take into account some people who try before they buy, only buying if they feel the game is worth it.

3. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Yeah, I was thinking about putting something like that in the post, as I regularly try out games by downloading them. You mind if I put this in the 1st post?

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Go ahead, I don't have a problem with it

5. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    inflated numbers to make it seem worse than it is

6. Salax

Member Salax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As always.

7. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    so according to CESA if there was no pirating, the average pirate that can only afford 1-2 games would all of a sudden have ±1000 bucks to pay for games they would otherwise have downloaded.

8. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Yeah but there's one crazy flaw about your concept TC, most of the games that are pirated is usually the highly popular/ overhyped games. That alone from 2004 to 2009 is not surprising to me since you did have TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts DS, PKMN Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Devil Survivor, Knights in the Nightmare, Castlevania OoE, Disgaea DS, Phantasy Star 0, Chrono Trigger DS, Megaman ZX and Megaman ZX: Advent, and a very few others. I didn't even include the PSP games since I don't which ones are popular/overhyped.

I can see around 41 Billion because that means clearly everyone around the damn globe that has a DS/PSP usually knows how to pirate and that's not true. Maybe the resources estimated from the count number of downloads times the price it will cost to buy those then add all the (money) to form some kind of imaginary number. Although...how the hell did they calculated a sum of loss profit not even including the multiple P2P downloads they happen from one rom? Then you got to include people who share those roms with other peers in RL and not the internet.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I keep saying, all they have to do is stop producing DS games completely. Go with DSi and 3DS games only, no more regular DS. Piracy would be cut to nil, instantly.....at least as far as their newer handheld systems are concerned.

It's not that I want it to happen or anything, but it's inevitable that the regular DS will become obsolete. Might as well be sooner than later if they're REALLY worried about piracy.

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yeah they say they lost 41.7 bill but they also made about 100 bil. piracy only takes a small chunk out of their sales really [​IMG]

11. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    [​IMG]
    Those figures you just said means we took 40% of their profits

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they still make 100 bil or more that's more than enough. would you be happy with 100 bill i sure as hell would be!!! [​IMG]

13. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Not if I could get 141.7 billion......

14. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    oh these silly people. these figures are made up because they want to use it for their own agenda. like everyone is saying, downloads do not equal sales. i wouldn't even own a ds or psp if it weren't for cfw and flashcarts. no point...i wouldn't pay over 100 bucks for something that can't do homebrew. homebrew usually entails piracy, but thats just an added effect.

15. Jeff88

Member Jeff88 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Why do you guys need to justify yourself for pirating? I know that I'm pirating and its wrong, but I don't go around making sound excuses for doing them.
    What's with the holier than thou attitude here?

16. heavyknight

Member heavyknight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    People pirate for many different reasons. Yes, they pirate. Yes, it's wrong.
    Not as drastic, but similar enough, running a red light on either accident, or there's an emergency. They do it, they know it's wrong.

Example excuse - I pirate because I don't have $2000+ laying around to be spent on games (Imports alone can go from 50 to 100+ per game). If there were no excuse, then there'd be no point in piracy.

On another note, there's not really any attitude around here. It's like being blamed for things you didn't do, or having some sort of negativity pointed towards you. Like for example, in MapleStory. "All Scanians/Berans/Whatevers suck", not all of them do. Someone would say something about it.

In this case, piracy is being fairly exaggerated/over exaggerated.