Certain PS4 peripherals will work on the PS5, but the DualShock 4 will not be supported by new games

5580915_sd.jpg

In a handful of days, we'll see some new footage of future PlayStation 4 games, but in the meantime, if you're still interested in PlayStation 5 news, the PlayStation Blog published a new article regarding how existing accessories will work with the next-gen console. USB headsets, the PS Move and Aim controllers, fight sticks, the PlayStation Camera, and racing wheels for the PS4 will be compatible with the PS5 going forward. An official adapter for the PlayStation Camera will be made available, to allow for it to work on the PlayStation 5 and let players use it for PS VR games. However, the DualShock 4 controller will not work with the PlayStation 5's games, as Sony believes that the new features of the DualSense are integral to the system. When it comes to backward-compatible PS4 games, though, the controller will be supported. Conversely, Microsoft has already confirmed that existing Xbox One gamepads will be compatible with the Xbox Series X, while the next-gen controller will even work on the Xbox One as well.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles.

:arrow: Source

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is basically what proves the going green hypocrisy in the tech industry. It’s only to their advantage like having us buy our own flash storage instead of flash carts for games. Or how we can recycle our cables for free to have them recycle and sell them without passing the savings to the consumer. But we’re not allowed to upgrade ram or ssd on contemporary laptops. We’re not allowed to use the last gen controllers despite it being fully capable. Not allowed to play discs from ps2/ps3 on ps4 because we should have to buy it again.

Last edited by cashboxz01,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad my fightsticks will work on it either way cause I would have been salty to buy PS5 versions for them all over again.
Was thinking the same thing. Normal controllers are fine but specialty controllers like arcade sticks and racing wheels can get expensive. saves the trouble of getting a converter for controllers like that.

Though for people who insist on using a regular ps4 controller on ps5 they will have to buy a converter once they are made for the system.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What confuses me is that Sony is the only company that does this (to my knowledge). You can use Gamecube controllers on your Switch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could use OG Xbox controllers, or at least 360 controllers, on the XBONE.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think it is that bad, you can still use it with PS4 games and get a dualsense anyway with the PS5.
Honestly I like this approach of a clean cut between the generations and hope the first party developers will use it and the others will at least try.
Some kind of dongle for backwards compatibility would be welcomed though.

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so much for multiplayer if you own already have a spare ps4 controller. you MUST buy a new ps5 controller for another $80 for multiplayer. ♻️

They could easily make flash cartridge games, N64 style. The load times would be cut to near 0. It can easily be done with how cheap flash storage is today. Optical media is almost dead. No one should have to rely on separate install storage for a good gaming experience in 2020. It's such a waste of time and wasteful of raw material. It's much easier to just borrow from a friend, pop in the cartridge, and start playing. They even update the cart directly. Absolutely nothing prevents them from doing this besides slight profit margins. They could annihilate the competition in the next console generation by doing this.

Last edited by cashboxz01,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they fix the drifting problems with the new one.
Laughable that my old gamecube controllers that cost 30$ still work perfectly while my 60$ DS4 controller have begun to drift.
Problems like that are the first things that should be found with simulated intensive use during development, there is no excuse.
Ontop of that they added features no one asked for like the touchbar and overly bright led which contribute to shit battery life.
Just take the sticks apart and clean them out.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jayro I did, but the metal pieces are too fragile and bent when pushing the side parts back in.
I had to order replacement parts from aliexpress to fix even worse drift I got from that.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What confuses me is that Sony is the only company that does this (to my knowledge). You can use Gamecube controllers on your Switch, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could use OG Xbox controllers, or at least 360 controllers, on the XBONE.

You can't use original xbox controller on Xbox 360 and you can't use xbox 360 controllers on Xbox one. You are just assuming things that are incorrect. Also, the wii u pro controller and the switch pro controller have the exact same buttons, just a single generation apart, wireless tech is different but both have USB capabilities. Things like NFC and motion features are optional when using the switch pro controller. 99% of the games would work just fine with the wii u pro controller and a usb cable but Nintendo still made it incompatible with the switch for no major reason other than selling people a new controller that isn't included with the system.

Seems like Sony isn't the only one after all...

Last edited by Tony_93,
Reactions: EthanObi and Xzi

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is basically what proves the going green hypocrisy in the tech industry. It’s only to their advantage like having us buy our own flash storage instead of flash carts for games. Or how we can recycle our cables for free to have them recycle and sell them without passing the savings to the consumer. But we’re not allowed to upgrade ram or ssd on contemporary laptops. We’re not allowed to use the last gen controllers despite it being fully capable. Not allowed to play discs from ps2/ps3 on ps4 because we should have to buy it again.
You fail to understand how backwards compatibility works. The only way for ps4 or ps5 to be backwards compatible with ps3 is to include ps3 hardware which increases the price dramatically. Sony already went down that road when the ps3 first released and it was a fail.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is just an example as to why cross gen and cross platform gaming is a stupid millennial idea. No controller is created equal. No console is created equal. One consoles controller may have a bigger dead zone or face buttons have less travel etc. One console may run games at a higher frame rate, higher resolution etc. Advantages and disadvantages based on the brand you go with. A LOT of people game on consoles because it is an even playing field, unlike pc where hardware matters.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You fail to understand how backwards compatibility works. The only way for ps4 or ps5 to be backwards compatible with ps3 is to include ps3 hardware which increases the price dramatically. Sony already went down that road when the ps3 first released and it was a fail.

This is just an example as to why cross gen and cross platform gaming is a stupid millennial idea. No controller is created equal. No console is created equal. One consoles controller may have a bigger dead zone or face buttons have less travel etc. One console may run games at a higher frame rate, higher resolution etc. Advantages and disadvantages based on the brand you go with. A LOT of people game on consoles because it is an even playing field, unlike pc where hardware matters.

By this logic PC gaming is a stupid millenial idea too. Since no computer is the same. Different mouse types, different keyboards, PC configurations, etc... But guess what, people have been gaming online on PC since online videogames have existed.

Oh wait, it goes even further. Now that I think about it. I guess online gaming as a whole is a stupid millenial idea since online gaming is not even that old. I don't think boomers were gaming online in the 70's and 80's were they...

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Not sure what the fuss is with all this. Every console comes with one and most games are single player for this system. They'll probably be compatible later down the road. Or most likey an adapter will come out.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Given the PS5 hardware, the PS3 games could EASILY be emulated (Maybe even better using hardware abstraction layers?) by the hardware at hand. Mid-range PCs can handle PS3 just fine, many games at full speed... So I have faith that the PS5 could do it, but probably not the PS4. I don't even think the PS4 Pro could handle PS3 emulation very well.

Reactions: UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the PS5 hardware, the PS3 games could EASILY be emulated (Maybe even better using hardware abstraction layers?) by the hardware at hand. Mid-range PCs can handle PS3 just fine, many games at full speed... So I have faith that the PS5 could do it, but probably not the PS4. I don't even think the PS4 Pro could handle PS3 emulation very well.
Thanks for assuring me that my laptop is low-range.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can't use original xbox controller on Xbox 360 and you can't use xbox 360 controllers on Xbox one. You are just assuming things that are incorrect. Also, the wii u pro controller and the switch pro controller have the exact same buttons, just a single generation apart, wireless tech is different but both have USB capabilities. Things like NFC and motion features are optional when using the switch pro controller. 99% of the games would work just fine with the wii u pro controller and a usb cable but Nintendo still made it incompatible with the switch for no major reason other than selling people a new controller that isn't included with the system.

Seems like Sony isn't the only one after all...

Yep. And that was why I bought Mayflash NS-magic adapters for $20 each instead of getting the new controllers.
I love the Wii U Pro Controllers for everything that is not a fighting game. They have a really nice battery.
AND it works for the PS3 and PC too, that was a very nice bonus.

Reactions: Dust2dust

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning