Certain PS4 peripherals will work on the PS5, but the DualShock 4 will not be supported by new games

5580915_sd.jpg

In a handful of days, we'll see some new footage of future PlayStation 4 games, but in the meantime, if you're still interested in PlayStation 5 news, the PlayStation Blog published a new article regarding how existing accessories will work with the next-gen console. USB headsets, the PS Move and Aim controllers, fight sticks, the PlayStation Camera, and racing wheels for the PS4 will be compatible with the PS5 going forward. An official adapter for the PlayStation Camera will be made available, to allow for it to work on the PlayStation 5 and let players use it for PS VR games. However, the DualShock 4 controller will not work with the PlayStation 5's games, as Sony believes that the new features of the DualSense are integral to the system. When it comes to backward-compatible PS4 games, though, the controller will be supported. Conversely, Microsoft has already confirmed that existing Xbox One gamepads will be compatible with the Xbox Series X, while the next-gen controller will even work on the Xbox One as well.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles.

:arrow: Source

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
However, the DualShock 4 controller will not work with the PlayStation 5
The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
thankfully it will work for ps4 stuff, but yeah it would be cool if it worked for everything it could.
similar to ps1 controllers on a ps2, they work fully, apart from when the newer ps2 controller functions are truly needed.

not a surprise unfortunately.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they fix the drifting problems with the new one.
Laughable that my old gamecube controllers that cost 30$ still work perfectly while my 60$ DS4 controller have begun to drift.
Problems like that are the first things that should be found with simulated intensive use during development, there is no excuse.
Ontop of that they added features no one asked for like the touchbar and overly bright led which contribute to shit battery life.

Last edited by Wuigi,

keegokahgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not until Cronus Max supports all-to-PS5. Highly doubt any games are going to fully utilize that microphone function to justify using a PS5 controller over anything else anyway.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
We don't care about your gimmicky PS5 features that most games won't use. PS4 has more then enough buttons that many games will get by with. No point in making PS4 not compatible with a fighting game, or an rpg, or a racing game, or basket ball game. We don't need your useless ps5 only features.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a better solution. Make the ps4 controller compatible. And if there is that one game that needs a ps5 exclusive features then make the controller a nessecity. Other then that no point in making the ps4 not compatible for games that don't use the gimmicky features.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, almost like new consoles never use controllers from the previous system. They're specifically saying that at least some things will, and y'all call that greedy.
I don't get what's wrong with you lot sometimes

Reactions: CallmeBerto

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Wow, almost like new consoles never use controllers from the previous system. They're specifically saying that at least some things will, and y'all call that greedy.
Are you talking about a jump from nes to snes. And controller that added more buttons? Or controllers that are completely different from previous consoles.

We have enough buttons on the ps4 one. How much more do we need? Playstations controller barely made any changes. Arcade sticks are supported but a ps4 controller is not? And its all through Bluetooth. It's not like they are changing the cable. And I can use unsupported controllers on emulators like an x box controller to play playstations games. Why cant Sony can't add support from just only one generation behind from their same playstation console line.

I can use a playstation controller on my wii u with homebrew, so don't give me any of that non sense.

Last edited by SG854,

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you look at their competition, Sony is comparatively greedy in this instance. Xbox One controllers will work with the Xbox Series X. The Switch is too different from the Wii U for cross-generation controller usage to make sense, but in the last generation Wiimotes were usable with the Wii U. Sony is the odd one out this time. Presumably they intend to include a new batch of half-baked gimmicks in this generation's controller just like last generation, but I'd rather they just save us all the bother and allow us to use PS4 controllers.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
would be understandable if dual sense actually had those extra macro buttons on the back, in which ds4 only would work if you get one of those adapters.

Reactions: TheCasualties

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greedy Sony being Greedy. How much greed can one greedy company get? Very greedy thats how greedy.

Sony? Greedy? Say it isn't so! I mean, this is the same company that created the PSP that mid-cycle changed it's memory cards! (PSP used Memory Stick and PSP Go used M2....)...not to mention the PlayStation Vita that used it's own propriety memory cards that no other Sony product used...and STILL cost an arm and a leg....

PizzaBitez

Shadow Clone Justu.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say i'm surprised at this move by Sony! Just glad to see all the support for headsets wasn't dropped!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's good that they believe in generations and that a new console and controller should mean a clean slate for what is possible for developers to conjure up. Not having to consider the lowest denominator when developing a game is one less hurdle for already stretched developers.

That said, I can't see why the DS4 couldn't still be compatible with PS5 games - but you get a simple onscreen warning that certain game features that rely on haptics or adaptive triggers for example, won't be available. I doubt the features will be that important that regular triggers/vibration won't suffice in the majority of situations.

At least for local multiplayer games people would have plenty of controllers this way. Even though local multiplayer is dying anyway but that's besides the point :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...