1. 5,624

Front-page
    5580915_sd.jpg

In a handful of days, we'll see some new footage of future PlayStation 4 games, but in the meantime, if you're still interested in PlayStation 5 news, the PlayStation Blog published a new article regarding how existing accessories will work with the next-gen console. USB headsets, the PS Move and Aim controllers, fight sticks, the PlayStation Camera, and racing wheels for the PS4 will be compatible with the PS5 going forward. An official adapter for the PlayStation Camera will be made available, to allow for it to work on the PlayStation 5 and let players use it for PS VR games. However, the DualShock 4 controller will not work with the PlayStation 5's games, as Sony believes that the new features of the DualSense are integral to the system. When it comes to backward-compatible PS4 games, though, the controller will be supported. Conversely, Microsoft has already confirmed that existing Xbox One gamepads will be compatible with the Xbox Series X, while the next-gen controller will even work on the Xbox One as well.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (58 replies)

3. cearp

cearp 瓜老外
    Developer

Tuvalu
    thankfully it will work for ps4 stuff, but yeah it would be cool if it worked for everything it could.
    similar to ps1 controllers on a ps2, they work fully, apart from when the newer ps2 controller functions are truly needed.

not a surprise unfortunately.

4. MohammedQ8

MohammedQ8 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    I hope I still plug this into Sony consoles hehe PS5

Attached Files:

Megadriver94, bubolechka and Moon164 like this.
  5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Hopefully they fix the drifting problems with the new one.
    Laughable that my old gamecube controllers that cost 30$ still work perfectly while my 60$ DS4 controller have begun to drift.
    Problems like that are the first things that should be found with simulated intensive use during development, there is no excuse.
    Ontop of that they added features no one asked for like the touchbar and overly bright led which contribute to shit battery life.

Last edited by Wuigi, Aug 3, 2020
  6. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    Greedy Sony being Greedy. How much greed can one greedy company get? Very greedy thats how greedy.

owdeuk, Megadriver94 and bubolechka like this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Welcome to Capitalism Club. If this is your first meet, you have to compete!

8. CeeDee

CeeDee Wow! Wow, wow, wow!

United States
    Comparatively, Xbox is supporting controllers across Xbox One and Series X, both ways... good move on them. Shame Sony won't do the same.

9. keegokahgo

keegokahgo Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Not until Cronus Max supports all-to-PS5. Highly doubt any games are going to fully utilize that microphone function to justify using a PS5 controller over anything else anyway.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  10. SG854

Comoros
    We don't care about your gimmicky PS5 features that most games won't use. PS4 has more then enough buttons that many games will get by with. No point in making PS4 not compatible with a fighting game, or an rpg, or a racing game, or basket ball game. We don't need your useless ps5 only features.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I have a better solution. Make the ps4 controller compatible. And if there is that one game that needs a ps5 exclusive features then make the controller a nessecity. Other then that no point in making the ps4 not compatible for games that don't use the gimmicky features.

11. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    I'm glad my fightsticks will work on it either way cause I would have been salty to buy PS5 versions for them all over again.

cvskid likes this.
  12. SG854

Comoros
    Its ridiculous fight sticks work but ps4 controller won't work. Common Sony what the fuck is this non sense.

13. xatzimi

xatzimi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Wow, almost like new consoles never use controllers from the previous system. They're specifically saying that at least some things will, and y'all call that greedy.
    I don't get what's wrong with you lot sometimes

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    People can vote with their money. If Sony has an attitude you don't like regarding backward compatibility for peripherals, then don't buy the PS5, and let them know why on their forum.

15. SG854

Comoros
    Are you talking about a jump from nes to snes. And controller that added more buttons? Or controllers that are completely different from previous consoles.

We have enough buttons on the ps4 one. How much more do we need? Playstations controller barely made any changes. Arcade sticks are supported but a ps4 controller is not? And its all through Bluetooth. It's not like they are changing the cable. And I can use unsupported controllers on emulators like an x box controller to play playstations games. Why cant Sony can't add support from just only one generation behind from their same playstation console line.

I can use a playstation controller on my wii u with homebrew, so don't give me any of that non sense.

Last edited by SG854, Aug 3, 2020
  16. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    When you look at their competition, Sony is comparatively greedy in this instance. Xbox One controllers will work with the Xbox Series X. The Switch is too different from the Wii U for cross-generation controller usage to make sense, but in the last generation Wiimotes were usable with the Wii U. Sony is the odd one out this time. Presumably they intend to include a new batch of half-baked gimmicks in this generation's controller just like last generation, but I'd rather they just save us all the bother and allow us to use PS4 controllers.

Last edited by ChaosEternal, Aug 3, 2020
  17. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    would be understandable if dual sense actually had those extra macro buttons on the back, in which ds4 only would work if you get one of those adapters.

TheCasualties likes this.
  18. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Sony? Greedy? Say it isn't so! I mean, this is the same company that created the PSP that mid-cycle changed it's memory cards! (PSP used Memory Stick and PSP Go used M2....)...not to mention the PlayStation Vita that used it's own propriety memory cards that no other Sony product used...and STILL cost an arm and a leg....

19. PizzaBitez

PizzaBitez Shadow Clone Justu.

United States
    Can't say i'm surprised at this move by Sony! Just glad to see all the support for headsets wasn't dropped!

20. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    brightness can turn down

21. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee
    This message by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee has been removed from public view by shaunj66, Aug 3, 2020, Reason: Double post.
    Aug 3, 2020
  22. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    What do you mean ?

23. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    I think it's good that they believe in generations and that a new console and controller should mean a clean slate for what is possible for developers to conjure up. Not having to consider the lowest denominator when developing a game is one less hurdle for already stretched developers.

That said, I can't see why the DS4 couldn't still be compatible with PS5 games - but you get a simple onscreen warning that certain game features that rely on haptics or adaptive triggers for example, won't be available. I doubt the features will be that important that regular triggers/vibration won't suffice in the majority of situations.

At least for local multiplayer games people would have plenty of controllers this way. Even though local multiplayer is dying anyway but that's besides the point :P

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - peripherals, DualShock, supported