1. LizardGenes

OP LizardGenes Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone. I use an import player CD to play backup out-of-region Playstation games (my region is PAL) and while most play fine, a few play only in black and white. So far, King's Field and Echo Night 2 do this (though the original Echo Night plays in full colour). I'm wondering if certain games require an RBG scart cable for this? Currently I only use the original Playstation AV cable. My tv model is a Samsung t19c300ew, if this information is useful. Do you think it's the cable that's the issue, or do you think it's more likely to be a problem with the disc images for those particular games?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :)

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    The fundamental issue is that while all PS1s support both 50 and 60Hz vertical frequencies, the console design (ie $ony's cheapness) results in the colorburst signal being wrong when the "foreign" selection is made (if you're astute you'll notice there is no PS1 game offering this choice, partially for this reason)

The easy way out is with a RGB cable (which by design overrides the composite video on pin 20 - possibly [also by design] even other sources!), while the proper fix for composite and S-video is available at http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=444 :)

3. LizardGenes

OP LizardGenes Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks! I thought the RGB scart cable might be the solution, so I'll get one when I'm next online shopping. It's weird how only certain games seem to come out black and white, regardless of region. Some NTSC-J ones play just fine, like Policenauts, Clock Tower: The First Fear, and Harmful Park. So is it only some games that send the colorburst wrongly? Just for reference, do you know why this is?

4. LizardGenes

OP LizardGenes Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Ok, so I tried an RGB scart cable (taken from my PS2) and both King's Field and Echo Night 2 still play in black and white. Is there another solution that I'm missing? Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Certain, playing, games