1. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    yuzu is next, I'm really happy for that because I don't like nvidia gpus so I always end up with amd, amd feel like they support their gpus way longer and adapt faster to newer technology.

2. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

United Kingdom
    Haven't heard anyone say that. Especially because most emulators (with Vulkan and on Windows 10) outperform the AMD equivalent. Haven't seen anybody test Linux though and I am very interested in the gains it may get (especially with the mesa drivers).

3. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    I am using CEMU with gtx 1650 laptop and amd ryzen 3550H, bayonetta hits 60 fps easily with vulkan, although the performance with openGL has always been like this, so I am not sure whether it benefits the nvidia gpu or not.

4. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

United Kingdom
    For performance: not yet (at least)
    For caching shaders: yes, definitely it massively cuts down on stuttering when compiling shaders.

5. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Do Intel iGPUs benefit from vulkan? Wandering how good it will be on a laptop.

6. BaamAlex

BaamAlex DON'T TOUCH ME!

Germany
    This should answer your question.

Attached Files:

ganons likes this.
  7. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seems to give me about 4 more fps lol. It is an older GPU.

8. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    Nvidia cards are still going to perform better with Vulkan than OpenGL, all things being equal. The move to Vulkan is both welcome and overdue, since it will only bring massive benefits and any card incapable of Vulkan isn't going to be powerful enough for cemu anyway. Vulkan is already the recommended renderer in RPCS3 and Dolphin.

Also good to see another developer opting for Vulkan over D3D12.

9. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Reading through the first pages had me slightly confused. Was sure that Vulkan was for video cards (AMD cards specifically), and saw mentions of CPUs and Nvidia. I have relied on discreet graphics since the '90s, so I somehow forgot that modern CPUs have a GPU part in them... lol. I'm on an old i7 4790 right now (which I know has video... just never used it), but exclusively use a Vega 64 to push my pixels :P

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    Well, lower-end Ryzen CPUs do have discreet graphics, but they're still on-board - they're no real replacement for dedicated graphics. And Intel's on-board solutions are even less-so.

Vulkan isn't going to magically make cemu run well on them, even if they may run a little better.

11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    i saw that red dead redemption 2 has options to switch VULKAN, I've got gtx1070, is it better switch off VULKAN?

12. BaamAlex

BaamAlex DON'T TOUCH ME!

Germany
    RDR 2 has nothing to do with cemu xD

13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    Red Dead Redemption 2 runs slightly better using Vulkan. It’s about how well it has been implemented - cemu’s implementation is still experimental.

Let’s not blow the Nvidia vs. AMD thing up, usually it will be the implementation that matters most. In general, Vulkan is the way to go.

Essasetic, Mr. Looigi and Xabring like this.
  14. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

United States
    Nividia cards actually perform worse with vulkan than with opengl in cemu. At least according to this video.

15. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    It's more to do with cemu's Vulkan support being at an early stage. The Nvidia vs. AMD issue where AMD has better Vulkan support is generally in comparison with DX12, not OpenGL. AMD have long had better support for both Vulkan and DX12 for many reasons including better async compute support. Nvidia won't ever really catch up there without massive changes to their architecture, they'll just brute force it.

As an aside, performance is about the same between OpenGL and Vulkan on my RTX 2060. Looking forward to Vulkan improving and replacing the OpenGL renderer entirely.

Last edited by sj33, Dec 23, 2019
  16. atoxique

atoxique Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Nowhere becuase no one games on Mac lol

17. Solotato

Solotato Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    yesssss now I can force my friends to play animal crossing amiibo festival on my switch via linux

18. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Really? For me, it brought MK8 from unplayable to nearly perfect.

Xabring likes this.
  19. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh that was just for BOTW. Only other game I tried was Xenoblade Chronicles X and that seemed to hold 30 FPS no problem.

20. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Croatia
    Yeah, that's what I thought. RTX series are much better at async (DX12/Vulcan) than the older nvidia GPUs. I still have my good ol' GTX 970, it is still very good for mid/high 1080p gaming in combination with r5 3600. And in Cemu I get locked 60fps in DKC:Tropical freeze, Mario world 3D and Mario Kart 8 in openGL and with already compiled shaders. :)

Xabring likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - introduces, emulator, renderer