Cemu emulator 1.22.12 publicly released, async shaders are now multi-threaded

LnO2PQJ.png

Just as scheduled, a new Cemu update has dropped and can now be downloaded by the public. This new version of the Wii U emulator, 1.22.12, adds some important fixes and new speedups. There's been a fix for those experiencing crashes in the Vulkan--the new default API as of last month--settings, and some tweaks have been made so that certain loading screens in Fatal Frame 5 will no longer crash the emulator. Also notable for this build is an improvement for Vulkan where both the async shader and pipeline compilation are multi-threaded. This means that visual pop-in won't be as prevalent or last as long, and that background compilations will be sped up. Grab the latest version over at the official website, below.

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.22.12b
# Patreon release date: 2021-04-30
# Public release date: 2021-05-07

# New in 1.22.12c:

Vulkan: Fixed regression introduced with 1.22.12b that caused broken graphics on some GPUs/drivers

# New in 1.22.12b:

general/Vulkan: Fixed a crash that could occur when opening the general settings window
input: Fixed an issue where WGI would not show up in the input APIs

# New in 1.22.12:

Vulkan: Async shader and pipeline compilation is now multi-threaded
This speeds up background compilation and shortens the duration of missing visuals

mmu: Emulate the scratch memory region at the end of the address space (0xFFFFFFE0 - 0xFFFFFFFF)
Fixes a crash that would occur during some loading screens in Fatal Frame 5 (#347)

input: Fixed an issue where WGI (Windows.Gaming.Input) would sometimes cause Cemu to not close properly
input: Generally improved robustness of WGI
input: Improved performance when using GC controller API (#513)

gfxPacks: Added a new option to rules.txt:
default=true
If specified, the graphic pack will be enabled by default
This is intended to be used for workaround packs when there are no side-effects

logging: There is now a logging option to toggle log output for coreinit logging (OSReport, OSConsoleWrite and similar)

Note:
(#xx) refers to resolved bug tracker issues. See http://bugs.cemu.info/projects/cemu/

:arrow: Source
:download: Download

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those who don't know- the multi-threaded async, that means that Cemu can now use the rest of your CPU's threads that it didn't before to work on the shaders loading in. For systems with 16 threads or more, shader pop-in will be pretty much nonexistent now.
Yeah, at long last this emulator can finally use my ryzen 1800x to it's full potential.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who don't know- the multi-threaded async, that means that Cemu can now use the rest of your CPU's threads that it didn't before to work on the shaders loading in. For systems with 16 threads or more, shader pop-in will be pretty much nonexistent now.

Basically, it's finally able to match what RPCS3 can do when it comes to shader generation in real time as opposed to pausing, stuttering, and loading all the damn time.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Basically, it's finally able to match what RPCS3 can do when it comes to shader generation in real time as opposed to pausing, stuttering, and loading all the damn time.
Only on Vulkan with Async shaders enabled-
Otherwise this update won't make a difference

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh rip, no OpenGL support? I have a GTX 1080TI and was under the impresison Vulkan underperformed relative to OpenGL, is that still the case?
really depends, amd does better with vulkan and nvidia with opengl yes, but who knows the performance gains from the new multithread potential here for your specific build compared to opengl without it

Mama Looigi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Oh rip, no OpenGL support? I have a GTX 1080TI and was under the impresison Vulkan underperformed relative to OpenGL, is that still the case?
At this point, it’s much better to use Vulkan than OpenGL even with Nvidia.
The 1080ti will support async shaders. Just make sure you’re on the latest drivers.

I’d only suggest using OpenGL on Cemu for the few games that are completely broken with Vulkan

For example
If you tried BOTW on both backends, I guarantee you’d have a better time on Vulkan

Last edited by Mama Looigi,

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At this point, it’s much better to use Vulkan than OpenGL even with Nvidia.
The 1080ti will support async shaders. Just make sure you’re on the latest drivers.

I’d only suggest using OpenGL on Cemu for the few games that are completely broken with Vulkan

For example
If you tried BOTW on both backends, I guarantee you’d have a better time on Vulkan
Latest drivers? *Shudder*

Last time I tried installing latest drivers, I had terrible audio issues where my audio would produce pops every few seconds, as a result of severe instability. This issue persisted after DDU'ing and reinstalling said driver almost a dozen times. It was a known bug that nVidia hadn't fixed in the previous 5+ versions, too, and was very well known. I've vowed to never install latest drivers again once I found and installed the older driver version I was using. Hopefully 441.66 supports async?

Last edited by SonicRings,

Mama Looigi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Latest drivers? *Shudder*

Last time I tried installing latest drivers, I had terrible audio issues where my audio would produce pops every few seconds, as a result of severe instability. This issue persisted after DDU'ing and reinstalling said driver almost a dozen times. It was a known bug that nVidia hadn't fixed in the previous 5+ versions, too, and was very well known. I've vowed to never install latest drivers again once I found and installed the older driver version I was using. Hopefully 441.66 supports async?
Well you could either
A. Create a system image, download the latest driver, and then restore the system image if it causes issues

Or
B. Look for a download for your old driver version and save it in case issues come up

Or
C. If there is audio issues again, try looking for updated sound drivers.

Emulators are developed specifically for the most recent AMD and NVIDIA drivers. You’d get a much better experience, so I’d suggest you work on trying to get it to work.
You’ll also possibly get a massive performance boost in the high end emulators if you can manage to do so

Last edited by Mama Looigi,
Reactions: SonicRings

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Then again if you have such s beast of a machine, you are probably running Zelda Breath Of the Wild at like 150 frames per second and won't notice much difference due to all the Zelda specific hacks and fixes.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nice, i used this once to play Genei Ibunroku since even the jp version is censored on the switch, and i dont have a wii u at least yet. Really good emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...