CD-R & DVD-R, Burning Question

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's the dealie-o, I called my roomie and asked him to grab me a pack of CD-R's while he was at Walgreens shopping his ass off. He does his thing, and I come home to find a pack of DVD-R's instead of the CD-R's I asked him to pick up. He replied with an "Oops" and went on his merry way.

Now, what I was trying to do with the CD-R's was burn an ISO file (CD Image) of a game I wanted to backup *[cough]StarcraftandSCBroodWar[/cough]*. Now I was wondering, my lappy has a DVD ROM drive, and these DVD-R's claim to hold 4.7GB soooo... would I just be able to burn a PC Game ISO file to a DVD-R and run it as a game disc off my lappy's CD/DVDROM Drive(will my lappy properly recognize it as a game disc and run the game from that DVD-R)? Really don't wanna return this shizz, DVD-R's are so pretty, and THEY'RE IN COLOR!
ohmy.gif

Some stuff that's plastered on the DVD-R's and back of the packaging:

-Maxell Video/Data Media
-DVD-R 4.7GB Single Sided Recordable
-120MIN Video, 4.7GB DATA, 1-16x Speed
-TO RECORD: "This DVD-R disc is designed for one-time recording with 16x write speed 4.7GB DVD-R compatible drives and video recorders may be recorded at 1x to 16x speed"
-FOR PLAYBACK: "After recording, this DVD-R disc can be played back in DVD-R compatible drives and video recorders as well as DVD-ROM DVD-Video and DVD-Audio Players."

--->DVD-R Thingies That Got n00b'd
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100448&id=prod2483453

Ery

Trophies
XP
Country
Lovely.
I got a ISO from a game, was aprox 500mb i think.
Was from a CD, burned to a DVD worked.

Oookey?

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I never ripped the ISO file directly myself, I obtained it through other means. From what I know, SC used hybrid MAC/PC cd's or something, but that shouldn't matter, since I have ISO images.

@ Radivax
So ISO images are universal then? There's no seperation of DVD and CD ISO's? If so, then I'll just go ahead and burn it to a DVD-R

Ery

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ May 20 2007, 05:37 PM)]Well, I never ripped the ISO file directly myself, I obtained it through other means. From what I know, SC used hybrid MAC/PC cd's or something, but that shouldn't matter, since I have ISO images.

@ Radivax
So ISO images are universal then? There's no seperation of DVD and CD ISO's? If so, then I'll just go ahead and burn it to a DVD-R
ISO's are just like a .rar file, atleast i think that
ohmy.gif
Don't kill me if your computer implodes.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ISO's are just like a .rar file, atleast i think that
ohmy.gif
Yeah, that sounds right cause I have WinRAR installed and my ISO files show up with the WinRAR "stacked books" icon...

Problem solved! Just mounted it onto a Virtual Drive with D-Tools with the help of DEF- and it works like a dream. Thanks for the help everyone!
happy.gif

Three 4.7GB DVD-R's... What should I do with all that stuff...? COASTERS!
nyanya.gif

Ery

Trophies
XP
Country
Daemon Tools ftw, i use it alot.
Saves time and you don't need to burn alot of stupid things..

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ May 20 2007, 04:46 PM)]Three 4.7GB DVD-R's... What should I do with all that stuff...? COASTERS!Â
nyanya.gif
Computer backup (assuming "DVD-ROM drive" was a typo)
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night