CD Projekt Red goes on a deep dive to debut 15 minutes of new Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay

One of the most hotly anticipated games, Cyberpunk 2077, just got a sizable trailer, showing off some never before seen gameplay footage. The 15-minute video goes on a "deep dive", which helps give you an idea of the different ways you can play the game and tackle missions. New characters, dialogue options, factions, and Keanu Reeves all get some spotlight here. You'll be able to see the open-world RPG of Cyberpunk 2077 for yourself, when it launches on April 16, 2020, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Also worth noting that a while back, the devs said that there won't be binary gender options. You just select a "body type" and "voice type", kind of like Saints Row IV.
When you go so far to try and include everybody, you start to end up including literally nobody. Nice moves devs.

I don't hate that they did it. I hate the fact that they apparently are getting good press for doing it. "Muh gender" is more important than the game and story itself. If they can't justify the ambiguity they have installed, they've failed their narrative worldbuilding before it even began. The world is clearly based on our own, so the fact that they are going far enough to remove literal sex should have its justifications. You aren't playing aliens, you're playing humans.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would have a blast playing Morrowind :)

Why can't CD Project make it easier for gamers nowdays >_< We need hand holding at all times
I think it would have been better not to have a map at all since it's better to have no directions than wrong directions.

D

Deleted User

The world is clearly based on our own, so the fact that they are going far enough to remove literal sex should have its justifications.
Who says they're removing literal sex? You pick the male body and the male voice, and you have a male character. They're just giving you the option to pick a male body with a female voice and vice versa.

Seems like a whole lot of outrage over nothing.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Who says they're removing literal sex? You pick the male body and the male voice, and you have a male character. They're just giving you the option to pick a male body with a female voice and vice versa.

People like to complain for anything.
Can't make everyone happy.

Options aside, I'm pretty excited for this game.
They fucking got Keanu Reeves in it, what could go wrong? :D

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Then the phrasing they have used is incorrect. Non-binary literally refers to not being either male or female; the binary genders. LBGT are all binary, people are claiming to be one or both genders. The + is where you start having issues. Claiming something to be non-binary means you have either eliminated gender in some fashion, or are supporting genders beyond the two. Both of these have an impact on gender politics which form the bedrock of society, no matter how much some people will try to deny that fact.

I don't have the source and was simply quoting a post. I can't substantiate further than the information I was quoting. In the face of that, I still stand by my point: the fact that something supporting these options is laudable is deplorable. It's a publicity first, product second attitude in a market that should be praised for its merits, not stances. If they wanted to actually support such roles, they would substantiate them by displaying game elements influenced by them rather than simply stating "they exist". In my view, this is literally virtue signalling, which amounts to negative hype, as the game seemingly can't stand on its own.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If they wanted to actually support such roles, they would substantiate them by displaying game elements influenced by them rather than simply stating "they exist".
It's my understanding that there are transgender characters in the game apart from being able to choose a transgender player character. It's a sci-fi game FFS, there are very likely to be characters who are brains in robot bodies completely devoid of any defined gender too. Trans-humanism would provide the opportunity to quite literally become an attack helicopter if you had the resources.

In my view, this is literally virtue signalling, which amounts to negative hype, as the game seemingly can't stand on its own.
And complaining about limitless virtual worlds becoming slightly more inclusive for everybody somehow isn't virtue signaling? We don't all have your qualms about individuals living their own lives as individuals.

Last edited by Xzi,

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And complaining about limitless virtual worlds becoming slightly more inclusive for everybody somehow isn't virtue signaling? We don't all have your qualms about individuals living their own lives as individuals.
Having something for the sake of having it is detrimental when it sacrifices other things. To me, inclusion is fine. It's particularly realistic. It's when they start pushing the boundaries, such as removing gender and/or sex itself, without thinking of the consequences it forces upon their world that becomes problematic. In this case, now that it's been clarified that they're still within the boundaries of male/female, they can heavily rely on shorthand and still have most of it fit perfectly fine. They won't need to scrap some fundamental assumptions that they probably don't even think about when they were designing this world because of it.

I'm still going to retaliate against the idea that having options is noteworthy. The more that it's trumpeted, the less normal it becomes. You don't praise a game for having standard genders do you? No, it's normal. The whole idea of pointing out and making examples out of something, making them extraordinary, when the goal is for them to become normal is counterproductive at best and backwards at worst. It is literally undermining the very goal you are trying to accomplish. As I stated, a far better way of doing so would be to incorporate the ways these changes have propagated into the world. News about the world is far more appealing and effective than common character selection mechanics are.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
News about the world is far more appealing and effective than common character selection mechanics are.
It's not the developers making this out to be the defining feature of the game or the only one that matters. They briefly mentioned it in an interview or something and have since released two long trailers that focus entirely on gameplay and story elements. As usual, it's the internet reactionaries and gamergaters that are the ones making mountains out of molehills.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll...probably end up skipping this. Not because it doesn't look awesome, and certainly not because some gbatempers bicker on minor parts ("What's this? I can select a gender for my player? NOOOOOOO!!!!"), but because I no longer have the time for open world games. I never got around to purchasing witcher 3 because 1 & 2 are still being unplayed on my shelf, and for all the things it's great at, it is doing that within the framework of what's being expected of it.

And...well...I've played similar games. Right now I rather play about a dozen smaller games that challenge my gamer skills in ways that I've not yet had than spend that same time honing my "run/drive/stealth/hack/slash" skills.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll...probably end up skipping this...
because I no longer have the time for open world games. I never got around to purchasing witcher 3 because 1 & 2 are still being unplayed on my shelf, and for all the things it's great at, it is doing that within the framework of what's being expected of it.
That's reasonable, open-world RPGs can be extremely time-consuming. Thankfully the ones truly worth playing only come along every 2-3 years from my perspective.

On The Witcher series: I got pretty deep into the first game before dropping it, barely got into the second. Both good in their own right, but by no means would I say you HAVE to play them before jumping into TW3, which is unequivocally the best of the series and the only one I'd recommend playing through fully.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Rail Fighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Stupid comment of the day
Yeah, why argue.

I think it's a very good game, that's all. Certainly not a masterpiece.

ice-perfectly-shaped-to-cool-that-butt-hurt-6308947.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.