CD Projekt Red goes on a deep dive to debut 15 minutes of new Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 30, 2019.

1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    actually, we are on gbatemp, it's not that important where you from.

2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    Wasn't what I meant, just a safe measure so to speak. :)

3. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    When you go so far to try and include everybody, you start to end up including literally nobody. Nice moves devs.

I don't hate that they did it. I hate the fact that they apparently are getting good press for doing it. "Muh gender" is more important than the game and story itself. If they can't justify the ambiguity they have installed, they've failed their narrative worldbuilding before it even began. The world is clearly based on our own, so the fact that they are going far enough to remove literal sex should have its justifications. You aren't playing aliens, you're playing humans.

subtextz and comput3rus3r like this.
  4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It is important as good to kno where members are in the world as who knows you might end up finding one as Yr neighbour who you been arguing with:lol:

Jiehfeng likes this.
  5. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    "Here's Johnny!" :tpi:

DANTENDO likes this.
  6. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I think it would have been better not to have a map at all since it's better to have no directions than wrong directions.

7. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Who says they're removing literal sex? You pick the male body and the male voice, and you have a male character. They're just giving you the option to pick a male body with a female voice and vice versa.

Seems like a whole lot of outrage over nothing.

KingVamp, Xzi and VinsCool like this.
  8. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    People like to complain for anything.
    Can't make everyone happy.

Options aside, I'm pretty excited for this game.
    They fucking got Keanu Reeves in it, what could go wrong? :D

9. AbyssalMonkey

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Then the phrasing they have used is incorrect. Non-binary literally refers to not being either male or female; the binary genders. LBGT are all binary, people are claiming to be one or both genders. The + is where you start having issues. Claiming something to be non-binary means you have either eliminated gender in some fashion, or are supporting genders beyond the two. Both of these have an impact on gender politics which form the bedrock of society, no matter how much some people will try to deny that fact.

I don't have the source and was simply quoting a post. I can't substantiate further than the information I was quoting. In the face of that, I still stand by my point: the fact that something supporting these options is laudable is deplorable. It's a publicity first, product second attitude in a market that should be praised for its merits, not stances. If they wanted to actually support such roles, they would substantiate them by displaying game elements influenced by them rather than simply stating "they exist". In my view, this is literally virtue signalling, which amounts to negative hype, as the game seemingly can't stand on its own.

10. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Geeh I never thought a character editor option would anger so many people for simply omitting a "male or female" option while everything else is there.

CallmeBerto and Xzi like this.
  11. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's my understanding that there are transgender characters in the game apart from being able to choose a transgender player character. It's a sci-fi game FFS, there are very likely to be characters who are brains in robot bodies completely devoid of any defined gender too. Trans-humanism would provide the opportunity to quite literally become an attack helicopter if you had the resources.

And complaining about limitless virtual worlds becoming slightly more inclusive for everybody somehow isn't virtue signaling? We don't all have your qualms about individuals living their own lives as individuals.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 1, 2019
    Cortador and KingVamp like this.
  12. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Apparently 3rd person cutscenes would also be scrapped from the game. Fuck.

13. AbyssalMonkey

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Having something for the sake of having it is detrimental when it sacrifices other things. To me, inclusion is fine. It's particularly realistic. It's when they start pushing the boundaries, such as removing gender and/or sex itself, without thinking of the consequences it forces upon their world that becomes problematic. In this case, now that it's been clarified that they're still within the boundaries of male/female, they can heavily rely on shorthand and still have most of it fit perfectly fine. They won't need to scrap some fundamental assumptions that they probably don't even think about when they were designing this world because of it.

I'm still going to retaliate against the idea that having options is noteworthy. The more that it's trumpeted, the less normal it becomes. You don't praise a game for having standard genders do you? No, it's normal. The whole idea of pointing out and making examples out of something, making them extraordinary, when the goal is for them to become normal is counterproductive at best and backwards at worst. It is literally undermining the very goal you are trying to accomplish. As I stated, a far better way of doing so would be to incorporate the ways these changes have propagated into the world. News about the world is far more appealing and effective than common character selection mechanics are.

14. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's not the developers making this out to be the defining feature of the game or the only one that matters. They briefly mentioned it in an interview or something and have since released two long trailers that focus entirely on gameplay and story elements. As usual, it's the internet reactionaries and gamergaters that are the ones making mountains out of molehills.

Cortador and KingVamp like this.
  15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'll...probably end up skipping this. Not because it doesn't look awesome, and certainly not because some gbatempers bicker on minor parts ("What's this? I can select a gender for my player? NOOOOOOO!!!!"), but because I no longer have the time for open world games. I never got around to purchasing witcher 3 because 1 & 2 are still being unplayed on my shelf, and for all the things it's great at, it is doing that within the framework of what's being expected of it.

And...well...I've played similar games. Right now I rather play about a dozen smaller games that challenge my gamer skills in ways that I've not yet had than spend that same time honing my "run/drive/stealth/hack/slash" skills.

Cortador, Xzi and CallmeBerto like this.
  16. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's reasonable, open-world RPGs can be extremely time-consuming. Thankfully the ones truly worth playing only come along every 2-3 years from my perspective.

On The Witcher series: I got pretty deep into the first game before dropping it, barely got into the second. Both good in their own right, but by no means would I say you HAVE to play them before jumping into TW3, which is unequivocally the best of the series and the only one I'd recommend playing through fully.

Taleweaver likes this.
  17. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, why argue.

I think it's a very good game, that's all. Certainly not a masterpiece.

[​IMG]

18. Hells_Judge
    This message by Hells_Judge has been removed from public view by Chary, Sep 19, 2019 at 2:37 AM, Reason: Image only post.
    Sep 18, 2019 at 12:07 PM