CD PROJEKT RED announces development of new 'The Witcher' game using Unreal Engine 5

the witcher.png

CD PROJEKT RED has announced today that a new installment in The Witcher video game series is in the works. Instead of their their proprietary REDengine, this time the developers are opting for Unreal Engine 5 as the game engine as part of a new multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games.

Not much was revealed for the announcement other than the teaser image featured above along with the tag line "A New Saga Begins".

This partnership raised some eyebrows regarding whether the title will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Responding to such a query on Twitter, the official The Witcher game account clarified that they are "not planning on making the game exclusive to one storefront".

:arrow: SOURCE

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I hope the next Witcher game will be more like Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine, coz imo Witcher-3's story line was good but both expansions were more interesting, the Dlc's had far better writing, story telling and immersion.

Reactions: ArcharGelod

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can’t wait for it to be launched as a broken mess and then take a year to fixed
From what I read they still made something like 250 million in profit so they will not learn anything

This is what happens when people preorder games they know nothing about

Imagine if you could preorder cars or homes - the world would be falling apart

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Can’t wait for it to be launched as a broken mess and then take a year to fixed
To then be lauded as GOTY and the best thing ever released by CDPR. Then re-released on subsequent generational hardware.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Imagine if you could preorder cars or homes - the world would be falling apart
Um... :unsure:

That's been a thing for years, but the consequences of launching an explody car or crashy house are (usually) more severe than for releasing a buggy game so car manufacturers and homebuilders are a little more careful.

Anyway, didn't the dev team behind The Witched leave CDPR to make their own studio with blackjack and hook.. who's working on this new one?

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about don't announce anything until you are far enough in development of it to actually give some people hope on it. Hyping something up that is so far out there isn't even a pre-rendered trailer to hype your shit just reeks of "we want the hype before we even start working on this shit" which will turn into "we want to finish this game as fast and broken as possible to ensure the hype doesn't die" bullshit.

Announcing anything before there is substantial, viable foundation of your project is a sure fire way to shoot yourself in the foot.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UE5? Is the engine finished by this point, last i remember from the DF report of UE5 is that they were still working/improving on some aspects/ mechanics, at this point it's either it's fully functional or still being improved upon, it should if CDPR are using it and probably other devs as well.
How about don't announce anything until you are far enough in development
Because building hype always equals more profit..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte