CD Projekt Red agrees to offer extra royalties to The Witcher author

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 5, 2019.

1. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2012
    Most people here are looking at it from a US legal system point of view. There are laws in place in Poland to protect IP owners who were under paid for the rights to use their IP. Now whether he could have won or not is besides the point, it would end up time consuming and expensive. If they can get him off their back for significantly less than it would cost them to fight it, it makes sense to just have the mess go away.

Last edited by spectral, Feb 6, 2019
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    do you have any more information about this polish protection? seems bizarre to me. the guy was already a renowned professional in its own country and just bet wrong on the profitability of a deal. i doubt it falls under "protection", otherwise everyone in poland should become investors and retroactively change their choices once they see how investments play out so they can win.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2012
    No specific details as I'm no lawyer and certainly not a Polish lawyer. It was mentioned in the original articles. It not a protection for investments, its specifically for people licensing out IP they created. From what I could tell it is meant to stop big companies from getting away with bullying people into selling rights for less than they are worth. It's also not a guarantee, the courts could find the deal was above board. But whereas in the US where it likely wouldn't even make it as far as it has, in Poland it would end up in court.

Personally I think he would have lost if it had gone to court, but its not an uncommon business practice to settle to make it just go away.

CallmeBerto and Rahkeesh like this.
  4. Dragonx41

Dragonx41 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I think they paid him off. So they focus on working on CyberPunk 2077 without any distractions.

5. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    the thing is CDP was a literal nobody modding team before they got into the witcher, even for TW1 they were irrelevant, they got to fame status with the release of 2. Whereas the witcher writer i heard was a big shot mainstream novelist in poland. He was clearly the big guy, and held resentment because CDPR's interpretation of the witcher became insanely more popular than his reaching worldwide fame, i remember articles about him condemning the poor treatment of the lore from the studio.
    But anyways, yeah it seems the matter will be settled prioritizing the fast completion

6. daijobu

daijobu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2018
    Canada
    except he didn't lose anything. He didn't make the game, so why should he get a cut of the profits the game has made? He deemed his IP to only worth 9000$ when he sold it and that was that. He has zero claim to anything else whatsoever so it's weird that you somehow think he lost something.

7. noobita029

noobita029 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    Very wise decision on the part of cd projekt red. Just think of it as an investment, it might payoff big in the future

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    than it's his stupid fault he missed his opportunity than
    [​IMG]

say i wanted to invest in something and it made millions o shit i should sue them because i didn't invest. same shit he made the wrong decision and now his bitching and whining about all the lost $. too bad his been paid his fee he decided to take he should get NOTHING else :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Feb 7, 2019
  9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I find it really strange how people can have opinions on this matter when the important details for that opinion are undisclosed.

The author could've gotten anywhere from a proverbial 1 buck to up to 15 million dollars. That's a pretty wide range to make claims that either side got screwed. So as such, wouldn't it be wiser to just shut up and go with the article? If Projekt Red and Andrzej Sapkowski can reach an agreement, who are you really to dispute that agreement without even knowing the details? :wacko:

That said...I am certainly glad they reached an agreement. I've recently read up on the history of board games, and there are some glaring examples of the original author literally being withheld millions because they underestimated the value of their ideas. I know USA prides itself on being the country of opportunities, but with these kind of "if you're not cautious enough to keep a share in your ideas you deserve to be screwed" attitudes, you'll end up being the country of opportunities to get screwed. Because make no mistake: the difference between a well written game and a blandly written game is huge. As such: make sure you create opportunities that satisfy good writers.
    That's of course just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, obviously. :)

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The whole debate goes back for probably centuries though if you want to go performance rights but the debate with such things and sessions musicians and session artists extends past the lifetimes of anybody ever likely to read this. If they could have been shown to have acted in bad faith somewhere in their earlier agreements then there might be something. Personally I quite like fair systems and magically finding yourself on the hook for royalties because someone changed their mind after you got successful is a hard thing to base a business on.

11. tomGER

tomGER GBAtemp Fan

Feb 6, 2017
    Germany
    "They infringed my copyright"
    - "no"

The End

Subtle Demise and Memoir like this.
  12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    that greedy fuck should be gladfull now that thanks to CD projekt the Witcher book franchise gained so much fame and sales, i even bought 4 hard cover books, now i don't feel right to support him anymore.

13. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2012
    Well that has nothing to do with this, well done.

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    There’s a fair bit of misinformation here in these comments.

Unlike most other countries, Poland does have an explicit legal procedure to renegotiate a contract in cases where the agreed sum is disproportionate to the accumulated value. Cases like these are exactly what the law is there to enable, to protect creators.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    We did have a discussion about that law in the other thread when it was first announced.

Still I don't like the idea that a session musician or someone content to act similarly can come back and try to get something more if it turns out they made the wrong bet. By all means have protections for when someone abused their power in contract negotiations somehow (something I would be willing to bet is in all places you might care to do business, or at least the legal framework to generate such results) but I don't see that as the case here.

Subtle Demise and Peloisan like this.
  16. Sabarek

Sabarek Member

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    I really wish The Witcher 3 would allow you to slightly change Geralt's behavior because... well, he reminds me of Sapkowski. I read some interviews with him and I often felt like he just wrote himself into his books to imagine that he has sex with all the girls and is a "cool guy". Nobody even likes Sapkowski in Poland's literature circles.
    The game is definitely great and very nicely developed, but I never see myself liking Geralt. I liked that you could change his hair, beard and say less offensive things in dialogue of the third game but it was not enough.