CD Projekt and 'The Witcher' book author end royalties dispute and sign new deal

witcher.jpg

About a year ago, Andrzej Sapkowski, author of “The Witcher” books, demanded 60 million Polish Zlotys (roughly $16 million) in royalties from CD Projekt Red. It seems like the two parties have now come to an agreement which "satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides".

The news come from a recent press release from CD Projekt Red. which reads that the latter and Sapkowski "signed an agreement further solidifying their relationship".

“We’ve always admired Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski’s works — a great inspiration for the team here at CD PROJEKT RED,” said Adam Kiciński, President and Joint CEO, CD PROJEKT in the press release. “I believe today marks a new stage in our continued relationship.”

The press release further makes note that "the agreement grants CD PROJEKT new rights, as well as confirms the company’s title to “The Witcher” intellectual property in video games, graphic novels, board games, and merchandise."

CD Projekt Red might have more planned for "The Witcher" series in its pipeline and with this agreement, more doors seem to have opened. What do you think they will come up with next for Geralt's adventures?

:arrow: SOURCE

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm interesting. Project Red CD was offered a great deal of money recently to become part of Microsoft. Last I heard they had to settle this dispute as part of the agreement if they decided to accept. I’m watching this situation closer now. If they do accept Microsoft’s buy up, will the witcher author go after them again for more money? He does seem like he’s the greedy type.

Last edited by chartube12,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard about this like a year ago or something. Haven't gotten into the Witcher series (I know it's good but I don't have that much time on my hands).
I'm glad they came to an agreement. Just goes to show though you got to be careful with this kinda stuff even if you're not super popular in whatever you're doing

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Curious as to what the new agreement is.

Also for those that didn't read the post correctly, the $16 million is what the author demanded at first before the new agreement.

Reactions: chartube12

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The author is a greedy sleezebag imo...
They offered him a royalty based system at first, but because he didn't believe in games as a medium he rejected that and wanted an up front amount.
I'd also like to demand more pay if my work turns out to be more valuable in the long run, but since I just work for a wage that's never gonna happen.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The author is a greedy sleezebag imo...
They offered him a royalty based system at first, but because he didn't believe in games as a medium he rejected that and wanted an up front amount.
I'd also like to demand more pay if my work turns out to be more valuable in the long run, but since I just work for a wage that's never gonna happen.
To be honest, based on CDPR's first alpha builds of the game, I wouldn't blame him back then. They truly looked like hot garbage IMO, definitely not as good as the original game ended up being.

<

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest, based on CDPR's first alpha builds of the game, I wouldn't blame him back then. They truly looked like hot garbage IMO, definitely not as good as the original game ended up being.
CD Projekt was a well-known publisher even back then, The Witcher was their breakthrough title, Mr.Sapkowski is simply a snob who has nothing but disdain towards gamers. He did the same thing with the movie rights to the franchise as he only considers his books to be "canon". The man is very disrespectful and very much disliked in the community, he suffers from the George Lucas complex where an absolute slob of a man accidentally creates an amazing IP while most of his other creative work is very much sub-standard. He was very clear that in his mind the Witcher saga is over *until* CDPR started printing money with it, at which point he miraculously released another book which, frankly, wasn't very good, and now has plans for more.
"I know very few people who would've played this thing because I surround myself with people who are rather intelligent" - Andrzej Sapkowski
Here's your author, ladies and gentlemen. He had zero confidence that the franchise would succeed, sold the rights for pennies and only started asking for money when the big pile of crow he had to eat started tasting like sour grapes. To this day he's convinced that the game was "piggy-backing on the popularity of his book" when the reverse is true, the books were primarily read in countries of the Eastern block and were only widely received in the west after the game's success. If anything, he owes CDPR for building his brand and enabling him to strike further deals. He deserves zero respect.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I kept thinking you typo'd the dudes name but nope it just be like that.

Also I like how their response makes it sound (and likely is true) that they specifically respect his works, not him. Since he's a bit of a douchebag.

biosyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Wikipedia, Sapkowski was a businessman before he turned to writing for a living - so all of this coming from him really isn't surprising. As for the next Witcher game - I can see them going an AC: Unity route and focusing on the various Witcher schools rather than any one single character like Geralt, despite him being the heart of the series.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I know very few people who would've played this thing because I surround myself with people who are rather intelligent" - Andrzej Sapkowski

Does anyone see the irony in his statement, given his business decisions?

Clearly a narcissistic idiot, who believes he is intelligent, simply because he is an "author".

I have not played the Witcher games (perhaps I'm too intelligent, what do you guys think?)

But I am familiar with the franchise, only because of the game.

To be honest, it should have been CDProject Red demanding the return of funds.

It was their success, dedication and hard work which hugely increased awareness of his brand.

He is now able to "make bank" from further book sales (to a vastly larger audience).

Along with a tv show and movie too, given his writing talents (or lack thereof), it's extremely unlikely he would have been so fortunate with the games.

Last edited by yoyoyo69,

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I only wish to know for a fact they barely gave him anything to shut the fuck up out of their good nature and left him to watch as their Bank account (and fanbase) grew even more.

A disgusting person like that should have been taken to court, humiliated and shunned for this garbage attitude.

Last edited by Super.Nova,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

<

First prototype is from XX century and then was signed contract (before 1997). First game is from 2007. ;)

And from what I know Sapkowski was signing it without looking at game at all, because for him all games were garbage.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Peloisan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1