Hacking cd cover clearance?

mcjones92

Kingpin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to create covers to put on the actual discs of my Wii games, but will this interfere with the opening of the disc slot? Like if I glue the paper to the DVD and put it in my Wii, will the disc get jammed?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use sticker labels and have minor problems...there's the occasional DRE but i think it's just the loader. Stick with sticker labels, you'll be fine
smile.gif

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
Printing >> Sticker labels

Are you talking about lightscribe? I definitely agree with lightscribe over sticker labels. My problem is that I don't have a lightscribe drive so I'm stuck with my sticker labels.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't stand sticker labels. The number of times I've had to replace DVD-drives because of those...
You see the disc can heat up a bit when spinning and that can weaken the glue they use to stick on with. Then the edge of a label lifts a little and next thing you now the disc is out of balance hitting things it shouldn't at high speed.
Now my (bad) experiences with them are limited to fixing PCs that have had this problem and they have higher speed DVD drives.
I wouldn't trust them in anything I cared about though, certainly not my Wii.

I use a Canon ip4200 inkjet printer with direct to disc printing support. However I understand these same printers (and the newer replacement models) are sold in the USA without the disc printing support enabled. I also understand that you can force them to work for you but you need to acquire a CD tray (to hold the disc when printing) to get it happening.

I'm about to print a label now, I'll post a picture after.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Try to avoid using sticker labels -- and don't even think about gluing paper to a disc, you'll cause some serious problems.

Either:
a) lightscribe 'em
b) print on them directly

the printers to print to disc are cheap, and the printable discs are not expensive either.

vegeta4ss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damn those actually look real nice. I was going to do this until I about got one stuck and then decided against it. Printing on the disc seems to be the way to go but will they read equally well for a long time?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
vegeta4ss said:
damn those actually look real nice. I was going to do this until I about got one stuck and then decided against it. Printing on the disc seems to be the way to go but will they read equally well for a long time?

Its the same as writing the name of the disc with a Sharpie. No differences.

There are big differences with using the stick on labels however, and I urge against it.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GhostSonic said:
That is a nice desk.Cheers! You've got a amusing sig.
Tichinde925 said:
You gots to use these discs...There are quite a few brands and types of printable disc to use available.
I usually use TDK brand DVD-R discs for single layer DVD, Verbatim 8X +R Dual layer discs and Maxell brand CD-R discs. All of these come with a full face printable top, IE the top surface is printable over the top of the plastic hub as well as the recordable area.
Also if you can get them without too much trouble the excellent Taiyo Yuden range of optical media is available with full face printable tops.
vegeta4ss said:
Printing on the disc seems to be the way to go but will they read equally well for a long time?
When you say read equally well are you referring to the data or the print quality?
Either way I have discs over 4 years old that have been printed this way (this is my third canon CD printing printer) and as long as they were good quality discs (was harder to get quality printables back then) they are working today no problem and the print hasn't faded noticeably.
QUOTE(cdn_bacon @ Dec 3 2008, 01:53 PM)
I have been using the stick on labels for awhile.....is this a bad idea????
I believe it is. Once you stick a label on top of a disc it no longer conforms to the specifications for optical media. I have seen enough ruined PC drives to not want to do this myself.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you guys completely knock down stick on labels, just remember that most of the companies who make these labels also post guarantees on their packaging. In other words, SUE their asses if their labels muck up your system.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Before you guys completely knock down stick on labels, just remember that most of the companies who make these labels also post guarantees on their packaging. In other words, SUE their asses if their labels muck up your system.

was this an approved message? if he says its ok then i will give it a shot. until then, its sharpie with a fine tip. maybe i should work on my pinmenship a bit more and game a bit less......nah.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaphappygamer said:
LightyKD said:

was this an approved message? if he says its ok then i will give it a shot. until then, its sharpie with a fine tip. maybe i should work on my pinmenship a bit more and game a bit less......nah.

Yes. I, Barack Obama approve this message. Hell, we're giving bailouts to companies, it's about damn time someone else besides us feds started to loose money.

toastert2003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here's what i would do..

buy a ton of the single disc sleeves... leave the disc blank and unwritten on, and write the name of the game/region/force to ntsc/pal on the sleeve if necessary... and leave the disc unprinted, unwritten on... and then move on...

this would save the need for this entire conversation
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol