Gaming Cave Story vs Cave Story 3D

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I read a review for the 3DS eShop version of Cave Story and I was wondering which version to get. It sounds like the eShop version has more content and the retail version was a remake of the original with 3D models, but I'm hard pressed to actually find any solid confirmation the differences between the two.

Can someone help me decide, please? :)

EDIT: Yikes! Is the retail version out of itself everywhere? All the used copies are £40+.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cave Story is wonderful. Cave Story 3D is a failed abortion.
Well, looking at the retail prices―and also since you hate everything most people like, something you like must be awesome―I'm probably going to wait for the eShop release, then.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The new 3DS eshop version is supposed to be better than the dsiware version, the 3d one got mixed reviews

In case people don't know, there are now 3 Cave Story versions for Nintendo portables; the dsiware, the 3d remake, and now the 3ds eshop version

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cave Story is wonderful. Cave Story 3D is a failed abortion.
Well, looking at the retail prices―and also since you hate everything most people like, something you like must be awesome―I'm probably going to wait for the eShop release, then.

I don't hate everything just most things. Though in fairness I'm driven to this irrational point due to the shit gaming tastes of the GBAtemp userbase.

In all seriousness I suggest you try out the free PC/PSP version of Cave Story (the PSP version is excellent). Cave Story + is faithful to that version, so if you like it the free version, go and buy the CS+ to show support for Pixel.

Reactions: 1 person

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cave Story=vastly overrated. Play it on PSP then go buy La-Mulana (on PC or Wii) instead.

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Get the steam version, if your patient it will be discounted to 2.5$. I know people who got it for like 1$ because of humble bundle.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a 3DS you have this options:

Cave Story DSi Ware
Cave Story 3D
Cave Story eShop

I dont know the eShop prices yet, but the cheap option will be the best option (I think that DSi version win in this case).

Edit: I can tell that nothing is cheaper than free: http://www.cavestory.org/
The DSi version is being removed (today I think) now that the 3DS game will be releasing tomorrow.
I'd say go with either the PSP or the eShop version if you want it portable, eShop if you want to support the developers.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually the DSiWare version is just being removed from the 3DS eShop.
It'll still be available on the DSiWare shop on DSi systems.

Anyhow I wouldn't recommend the retail version. As a 3D remake it doesn't really hit the mark, a lot of the charm is lost and its technically unimpressive with loading screens all over the place, things with poor animation and overuse of the 3D effect by giving the background far too much depth, and throwing things into the foreground.
They actually had to pad the game out with extra health upgrades to compensate for this, I swear the game is much harder because of the graphics having clunky hitboxes.

Really looking forward to the eShop release, this will be the definitive handheld version of the game.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all seriousness

Clearly emigre's account has been hacked... Reported.

PSP version of Cave Story is awesome... Only one I've played. Adding 3D to Cave Story or enhancing the graphics (it's intentionally 8-bit) is completely useless, I have no idea what other game elements that the 3D version has that improve or detract from the experience, but I'd only buy another version to support Pixel, not because of any marketing claims that "this version is better".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end