Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Danttebayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this is already covered in this thread but how does one get the Switch to recognize a newer database? For example, I used CaVE to create a NES Online database and added one game to test it. I then copied it to the SD:\Atmosphere\Titles folder, rebooted, and magic. It worked perfectly.

I followed by opening that same database in CaVE and adding all the other games I wanted, including box art, etc. but when I saved and added that folder to the SD:\Atmosphere\Titles folder and rebooted, nothing happens. The app still only recognizes the old version of the database with the one test game. What am I doing wrong?

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this is already covered in this thread but how does one get the Switch to recognize a newer database? For example, I used CaVE to create a NES Online database and added one game to test it. I then copied it to the SD:\Atmosphere\Titles folder, rebooted, and magic. It worked perfectly.

I followed by opening that same database in CaVE and adding all the other games I wanted, including box art, etc. but when I saved and added that folder to the SD:\Atmosphere\Titles folder and rebooted, nothing happens. The app still only recognizes the old version of the database with the one test game. What am I doing wrong?
The only possible explanation is that you're not copying over all the files or that you're copying them to the wrong place. Overwrite the old files, making sure you're copying all the games' folders and the new database (the lclassics.titlesdb file). Copying just the games isn't enough, the app doesn't even know to look for them unless there's a database file to tell it to look for them, hence why you need CaVE to create a database file.

The Switch (or rather, the custom firmware you're running) is reading the SD card every time you boot a game, and it won't decide to keep an old file in memory against your will. You also don't need to reboot the Switch every time you copy the new files over, just reboot the app/game.

So yeah, copy all the files. If I had to bet, you're not copying at least the lclassics.titlesdb file, which is the more important one!

18Phoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I noticed that the speedfixed MegaMan X2 isn't working anymore with update 1.1.0, it crashes immediately.
The only rom so far, all other patched or hacked roms are working. I tried to make a new working file but I missed.
The normal rom works still fine (with slowdowns).

Last edited by 18Phoenix,

Danttebayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only possible explanation is that you're not copying over all the files or that you're copying them to the wrong place. Overwrite the old files, making sure you're copying all the games' folders and the new database (the lclassics.titlesdb file). Copying just the games isn't enough, the app doesn't even know to look for them unless there's a database file to tell it to look for them, hence why you need CaVE to create a database file.

The Switch (or rather, the custom firmware you're running) is reading the SD card every time you boot a game, and it won't decide to keep an old file in memory against your will. You also don't need to reboot the Switch every time you copy the new files over, just reboot the app/game.

So yeah, copy all the files. If I had to bet, you're not copying at least the lclassics.titlesdb file, which is the more important one!
Thanks, RadMcFist. I definitely copied the whole folder. I figured out what the problem was. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour but I found that Atmosphere actually moved the '0100D870045B6000' folder from SD:\Atmosphere\Titles to SD:\Atmosphere\Contents. So when I copied the new database into the Titles folder it didn't do anything because it was pointing to the Contents folder.

I fixed this by keeping the new version in Titles and deleting the '0100D870045B6000' folder in Contents and it worked like a charm though in the future I imagine it will probably work just as well to copy the new version of the database to Contents.

And thanks for the tip about not having to reboot the Switch each time. That one will definitely save me some time. :)

Reactions: marcioap1

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, RadMcFist. I definitely copied the whole folder. I figured out what the problem was. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour but I found that Atmosphere actually moved the '0100D870045B6000' folder from SD:\Atmosphere\Titles to SD:\Atmosphere\Contents. So when I copied the new database into the Titles folder it didn't do anything because it was pointing to the Contents folder.

I fixed this by keeping the new version in Titles and deleting the '0100D870045B6000' folder in Contents and it worked like a charm though in the future I imagine it will probably work just as well to copy the new version of the database to Contents.

And thanks for the tip about not having to reboot the Switch each time. That one will definitely save me some time. :)
Glad it worked out in the end! I should have thought about the "contents" folder before, it slipped my mind.

By the way, that's normal behavior for the latest version of Atmosphere. You should read update notes when updating! XD The files you just copied now were probably moved by atmosphere to the contents folder as well, just so you know for the next time you want to add something. That's the new correct place to put these kinds of mods in, starting with this new atmosphere version.

I noticed that the speedfixed MegaMan X2 isn't working anymore with update 1.1.0, it crashes immediately.
The only rom so far, all other patched or hacked roms are working. I tried to make a new working file but I missed.
The normal roms works still fine (with slowdowns).
Jesus Christ, man, please don't tell me you're still not using correct Preset IDs with games? Mega Man X2 works great.

18Phoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jesus Christ, man, please don't tell me you're still not using correct Preset IDs with games? Mega Man X2 works great.
I always use the sfrom tool now. But the most roms working with base 1.0.0 ("old footer style") still work unchanged.
Oh no, PresentID 1117 for MMX2, sorry, all fine again :shy:

Last edited by 18Phoenix,

marcioap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yesterday I tested some games that don't work perfectly on SNES Classic to see how they would behave on the Nintendo Switch Online emulator. Here are the results:

• Bust-A-Move: yellow (has minor issues). Same problem as SNES Classic (bubbles exhibit animation errors the more they are pushed down the screen). Does not affect gameplay.
  • Earthworm Jim 2: green (works great). This game works really well and does not have the problems that occur on SNES Classic. No sound issues. I completed Level 2 (Lorenzen's Soil) and no problem so far. On SNES Classic it should be marked as red.
  • Lamborghini American Challenge: green (works great). Menu music plays at the correct speed. On SNES Classic should be marked as yellow as there are music issues.
  • WeaponLord: red (has major issues). During the first fight the music and sound disappears. After the fight the game freezes but weirdly the timer count still going on. On SNES Classic should also be marked as red.

Other games that I tried and all of them are working fine:

• ActRaiser (using the parameters that are on the compatibility spreadsheet)
  • Aladdin
  • Chrono Trigger (has a minor graphical glitch before each battle as stated on the compatibility spreadsheet)
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • Hagane: The Final Conflict
  • Jurassic Park (patch applied using Sfrom Tool)
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • Knights of the Round
  • Lion King, The
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja, The
  • Peace Keepers, The
  • Rock n' Roll Racing (patch applied using Sfrom Tool)
  • Secret of Mana (using the parameters that are on the compatibility spreadsheet)
  • SimCity
  • Street Racer (patch applied using Sfrom Tool)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Smash T.V.
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
  • Top Gear (patch applied using Sfrom Tool)
  • Top Gear 2 (patch applied using Sfrom Tool)

One game that I couldn't get to work was Soul Blazer. The game doesn't even start. Tried using the required patch and the parameters that are on the compatibility spreadsheet but no luck.

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One game that I couldn't get to work was Soul Blazer. The game doesn't even start. Tried using the required patch and the parameters that are on the compatibility spreadsheet but no luck.
I'll probably reply again later with more because I'm in a hurry right now, but just wanted to say that SoulBlazer works great by using the parameters alone, no patch necessary. Use the same parameters as with all the other Quintet games (ActRaiser 1 and 2, Robotrek, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia) and it will work perfectly. If it doesn't even boot like that then there's a mistake elsewhere (probably on the database, check filenames, paths, etc). It should boot even without the parameters, just with serious audio issues.

A lot of the patches necessary for SNES Classic aren't needed here, even if a few still are. As a general rule, do not use them blindly just because they were needed before. Use them only after you see that they are in fact needed.

Also, at last someone shows signs of knowing there's a compatibility list! Thank you! I was starting to think it was a mirage that only DarkAkuma and I could see XD

Last edited by RadMcFist,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • ust-A-Move: yellow (has minor issues). Same problem as SNES Classic (bubbles exhibit animation errors the more they are pushed down the screen). Does not affect gameplay.
  • Earthworm Jim 2: green (works great). This game works really well and does not have the problems that occur on SNES Classic. No sound issues. I completed Level 2 (Lorenzen's Soil) and no problem so far. On SNES Classic it should be marked as red.
  • Lamborghini American Challenge: green (works great). Menu music plays at the correct speed. On SNES Classic should be marked as yellow as there are music issues.
  • WeaponLord: red (has major issues). During the first fight the music and sound disappears. After the fight the game freezes but weirdly the timer count still going on. On SNES Classic should also be marked as red.

Also, at last someone shows signs of knowing there's a compatibility list! Thank you! I was starting to think it was a mirage that only DarkAkuma and I could see XD

And as far as the list goes, its openly editable for a reason. Just add these compatibility findings yourself. =)

Now that its brought up though, it would probably be best that when you or someone do make edits, post about them here. This is just as extra protection against someone not knowing what they are doing claiming something works/doesn't. For example, like someone saying Star Ocean does not work... but they never downloaded the patch packs.

In general, if someone wants to change the status of something thats already set, or make big sweeping updates to the list, post about it here.

Reactions: marcioap1

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guys, I really need help with my snes online app, no matter what i do it hangs at loading screen, the one with the animated switch icon in the bottom right. Have any of you had this issue? the NES app works ok.

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guys, I really need help with my snes online app, no matter what i do it hangs at loading screen, the one with the animated switch icon in the bottom right. Have any of you had this issue? the NES app works ok.
Tried installing it on nand directly, nope... I finally fixed it by restoring my nand backup and starting all over again. I failed to detect what the issue was...

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma Any update on the overscan thing?

I was about to say "what overscan thing?". Then I checked my last message exchanged with you.

The Resolution Mode and Resolution Height options of the switch tab in SFROM Tool help address that. That was what I was referring to. With those you should be able to set the res for any valid SNES game.

That was released in the last SFROM Tool update.

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was about to say "what overscan thing?". Then I checked my last message exchanged with you.

The Resolution Mode and Resolution Height options of the switch tab in SFROM Tool help address that. That was what I was referring to. With those you should be able to set the res for any valid SNES game.

That was released in the last SFROM Tool update.
Right. Shame on me for not having fiddled with this yet.

So, small recap for everyone else - SNES games were mostly made for a 256x224 resolution. Their natural aspect ratio is 8:7 - 4:3 strengths the image (e.g. the squares become rectangles, the circles become ovals and so on. Here some examples).

The SNES Online has an 8:7 option, but I wondered if it were possible to display the game on "pixel perfect" (that is, 8:7) and having the CRT filter. The CRT option, unfortunately, forces 4:3.

Knowing 4:3 is the default resolution of the emulator, I tried setting 192 as Res Height (since 256/192 = 4/3) and this worked... sorta... The game now runs with the correct aspect ratio, but Switch resolution isn't high enough to display the entire game :(

For references, here some screens of Mario World. The first three are the game running with 4:3 ratio, 8:7 ratio and 4:3 ratio with CRT filter, the last one is the game running with the CRT filter with a 256x192 resolution.

I'm afraid we would need either the option to modify the res length or hacking the CRT filter or the emulator to use a 8:7 aspect ratio by default.

Attachments

• 4-3.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 8-7.jpg
    8-7.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 157
  • New Res CRT.jpg
    New Res CRT.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 145
  • OG CRT.jpg
    OG CRT.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 130

marcioap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll probably reply again later with more because I'm in a hurry right now, but just wanted to say that SoulBlazer works great by using the parameters alone, no patch necessary. Use the same parameters as with all the other Quintet games (ActRaiser 1 and 2, Robotrek, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia) and it will work perfectly. If it doesn't even boot like that then there's a mistake elsewhere (probably on the database, check filenames, paths, etc). It should boot even without the parameters, just with serious audio issues.

Thanks for the info. I will try these games and report back.

And as far as the list goes, its openly editable for a reason. Just add these compatibility findings yourself. =)

Done!

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added three games to the compatibility list: Vortex (green), Dirt Trax (red) and Makeruna! Makendou 2 (green). The first two I was curious about how they would work since the beginning since they are two of the few SFX games and I remember Dirt Trax being problematic, and Makeruna Makendo I didn't even know existed until yesterday. Vortex worked fine but Dirt Trax is unplayable (ground doesn't show on title screen and the game hangs on a black screen after pressing start). Both tested with SFX Limit set to 1340, like on the official releases of Star Fox and Stunt Race since these are also SFX 1 games, and changing this value is unlikely to fix Dirt Trax, I think. It's a terrible game, anyway. Makeruna Makendou 2 worked fine too.

On top of that, Bishoujo Janshi Suchie-Pai was marked as yellow in the compatibility list but I just tried it and it works perfectly, hi-res images and everything. So I changed it to green. I know this game was problematic on the SNES Classic for a while, was it ever fixed there or is it yet another case of canoe compatibility improvements on Switch over SNESC?

A couple of days ago I had also changed Super Robot Wars The Lord of Elemental and Macross Scrambled Valkyrie's status from yellow to green since the minor audio issues these games had have been fixed now.

Tried installing it on nand directly, nope... I finally fixed it by restoring my nand backup and starting all over again. I failed to detect what the issue was...
Without more details it's impossible to know what happened. Were you trying to open the app without any mods or did you try to add games? If you didn't add any games then I'm afraid the problem obviously lies elsewhere and I wouldn't know how to help besides the usual "uninstall/reinstall" advice. If you did add games to the app then hanging on the black or red screens is a common symptom of a poorly made database or of missing files, and in that case all you had to do was delete the mod files from the SD (uninstalling the app and restoring a nand for this is like throwing a missile at a cockroach o_o ).

Anyway, is it fixed now?

Thanks for the info. I will try these games and report back.
No problem! I actually recently played through ActRaiser and started playing SoulBlazer, so I can guarantee you that they run very well on the Switch.

Last edited by RadMcFist,

DuveltjeDG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't get descriptions to work. I get some META info but not my added description. Rest is working properly though so it's nog a big of deal but I like it to look as original as possible.

Could someone explain what PresetID exactly means and what it does?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.