Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma I'm excited for you. Will we finally discover All-Stars preset ID?

Thanks. Yea. Certainly seems that way. This came out of no where. lol. Was hoping to have more warning for these updates, which was usually my fault for just not paying attention or forgetting when i did have warning.

Anyway. Yea. I just hope its not given some new Switch range Preset ID.

Well, since I have time to kill. For those that dont know and would find this interesting for whatever reason, the reason this game is interesting for me is...

I originally "cracked the code" of the Preset ID list by figuring out that the order matched up with the Product ID order of the SNES Wii VC releases (not to be confused with WiiU). This filled out a large portion of the known list, but combined with IDs learned strait from the binary itself... there were strange gaps.

How SMAS plays into this is 2 ways. It was also released on the Wii... but not as a VC title, and instead as a Disc. But the files on that disc follow similar formatting and elude to it being emulated with the same code. This made it very likely that when the Preset ID list was generated by NERD, that they included these games too. But not 100% or anything.

The next indication that it would have a Preset ID came with a game name list discovered in some 3DS SNES VC files. SMAS along with a few other unreleased VC games were named.

So yea. I have VC/PCM patches for them (music format relevant before the Switch Online), gaps in the list to fill, and a few minor indications of where to place them.

For general users, this effects little. It runs fine with other Preset IDs. Its more something for just me and my accurate documentation pursuits. =)

EDIT:

And here's the footers for SMAS.

Code:
47 02 00 00 E7 10 74 07 70 02 0A 00 00 00 43 61 6E 31 // SMAS E-NTSC
47 02 00 00 E8 10 74 07 70 02 0A 00 00 00 43 61 6E 31 // SMAS J-NTSC

And from that we have 0x10E7 as the ID for E-NTSC, and 0x10E8 is for the Japanese version. And the PAL version is either not included in the list, or likely in the 0x1119-0x112D range (I might be able to narrow a decent guess down later).

This is not where I thought these would be as my first guess, or second guess. But I suspected they might be here. It was the lone odd gap in the main list of titles that existed on the original Wii VC. I excluded it as a top possibility only because it was 2 games long, and I had 3 region versions of the game to allocate. But as I've learned later on with the list with games like Final Fight 2 J-NTSC, or even Street Fight Zero 2, they started placing 3rd region versions of games in a less ordered/predictable location. So just the main 2 fitting there could work. And that was the case!

Anyway. I have to get some stuff reinstalled on my comp before I can get a CaVE update out. I may be able to get a unlock hack out sooner though. Please be patient though! I wasent prepared for this. It poped up out of nowhere! =)

EDIT2:

I'm really happy for this one now, as it was fixing to remain a mystery...

Code:
Super Mario All-Stars E-PAL: 0x1124

No, the E-PAL version was not released on Switch Online. How I came to figuring this out was through code examination and deduction. While its not quite this simple, the code basically checks all 3 of these IDs to process the supplied game with the SMAS code. Its similar to how other E-PAL games preset IDs are secretly officially supported by SNES Online without the full unlock.

As mentioned, Ive already released .cnp patches for these 3 versions, but unofficially before as they didn't have the right preset ID. Because I didn't know the right preset ID then. Now, soon I'll officially add those 3 to the .cnp package.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

HighSpeedBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you go to "Edit > Stock Databases" and select the latest (09-03-20) database(s)? You need to do that before generating a new custom database to work with.

That was the reason, thanks. I thought it's possible to change the stock games after generating the database folder.

Galaga_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello guys, I need some help here, I have a hacked switch with the latest atmosphere version 0.14.1 and i use the
emuNAND method, so I have my custom firmware installed on the sd card and i can boot my switch normally (not using cfw) to play online with original games. including the SNES and NES online. If i boot atmosphere (always use it in airplane mode) I see both the games installed on the sd card and also those I bought and that are installed on the system memory, included SNES and NES online.
So now the question is, could I install on the sd card the modified versions of the NES and SNES online nsps with added games? And if that is the case could they interfere in any way with the ones installed on the system memory (legit, original) that I use to play online when I dont boot on cfw mode?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Galaga_,

18Phoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I noticed:
  • After opening a DB, I can't select a language anymore, all are greyed out. I can open and edit the current language an I can change it through editing the setting file, but it's not possible to change it by menu. It seems it doesn't work with language file brought along.
  • Wouldn't it be better to set the stock DB to the newest by default?
  • It would be great if the size (and location) of the main frame (and columns widths) would be saved somehow. I always use the column ExtraInfos aswell and increase the width to see all infos at once, but after restarting the app, the window always small like starting the first time.
  • Main window still shows v1.0 and about shows 1.0.2.0
  • Exeption if opening a bigger DB: general error in GDI+
However, it's a great and helpfull tool :D

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Very impressive work!
I was wondering if it could be doable to add an option to suppress a game from the database? (e. g. bad rom that we want to replace, or rom that need special option to run...)
Regards
It's there. Select the game you want to delete and press delete on the keyboard.

In which folder are roms's Save file saved
Saves are stored inside the apps' save file in your Switch. If you want to access you'll have to use something like chekpoint or jk savemanager to extract them.

So now the question is, could I install on the sd card the modified versions of the NES and SNES online nsps with added games?
This thread is about adding games to the apps without installing any of those bloated, pre-made collections in modified NSPs. Those are the plague. I'm not sure about your setup, but why risk anything when you can just copy a few files to your SD card that would only be read on CFW? In any case, as long as your save files are separate between official and custom firmware, there shouldn't be any big problems (but don't blame me if you get banned!)

My advice is to just download darkakuma's tools, add the games you want, and use layeredfs to play them on atmosphere. That's what this thread is about, and since official firmware wouldn't even know the layeredfs files are there and the save files are separate, it's risk free.

Just downloaded the game and most recent update ... Did the kefir thing and can launch the game but I don't see any roms any help or suggestions?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi I just downloaded the base and most recent update and also did the kefir thing ... When I launch the game and select one player I don't see any roms ... Any help or suggestions????
Suggestions? Yes. Read the last couple of pages before posting. Your question was answered like 5 times before you asked. Save yourself some time instead of asking other people to do your job for you.

Any chance that Roms hack MSU-1 (Audio Remix, CD quality)will work?
Man, there are official special chips not supported by these emulators and you're trying to get unofficial ones to work?

I followed this guide exactly as it is ...
it only shows this screen until I close the emu
No, you didn't. You didn't copy all the files to your SD. If it's hanging on that screen then your database is telling the the app to look for files that are not there. It's either a missing rom or cover or screen, unless you're missing ALL the files XD. It's at least reading the database (the lclassics file), so copy everything again to the correct location and try again.

fdstool doesn't work. I tried to drop knight lore.fds on it and nothing happen. Any ideas ?
Yes it does, you're just using it incorrectly. You have to use command prompt. Go to the folder where you have fdstool.exe and the fds files you want to convert to qd, press and hold shift and right click on an empty space, choose Open command window here, on the window that opened write "fdstool.exe game.fds game.qd" without the quotation marks and with the correct game names, press enter. That should create a new .qd file in the same folder. To save yourself some headaches, rename the games to something simple, preferably one word long.

Last edited by RadMcFist,

Djangit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just updated the application and now I'm unable to open my previous databases.

Also, when we update the app either via the Switch or adding new games, what is the risk of losing our saves?

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just updated the application and now I'm unable to open my previous databases.
Also, when we update the app either via the Switch or adding new games, what is the risk of losing our saves?
You have to be a bit more specific. What did you update? CaVE or SNES Online? "The application" is vague enough to be usable for both cases and both were updated recently.

If it's CaVE: Unless I'm very mistaken, nothing really was changed other than including the latest base database files for the new SNES Online update, so that shouldn't be happening. Other people seem to be using it fine, judging by the posts above. What error are you getting? If you don't give details it's impossible to help you.

If it's SNES Online: I'm using the latest update and it works perfectly.

There is no real risk of losing save files. The only way to lose them is if you change a game's code since each save if ties to that code, but even then you could extract the save file with JK Save Manager, copy the files over from the old code's folder to the new one, and reinsert the save file with JKSM. If you're the paranoid type and want to make sure you never lose nothing, just make a backup with JKSM before updating.

Kaein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello guys, after reading all 20 pages I still can't see roms installed , this is my background:

Atmosphere 0.14.1 / OFW 10.0.2/ Sysnand / Data in Contents (no titles)/ ips in exefs_patches/ SFROM Tool with VC patches and Fixes
Super Nintendo App 1.2/ 1.0

I was using a custom mod in 01008D300C50C000, but I was trying to do my own building ( the MOD was working fine btw), I just erased that folder and start this guide line by line, all the time after files modifications I just delete the save file just to be sure that was not affecting the whole thing.

I already try this:

0. I Created the Database from 0 with Cavemanager, stock database 09/01/19 for 1.0.0 and 02/19/20 for 1.2.0 snes app.
1. Got 3 roms (.sfc) for testing Aladdin, Super Mario All Stars and Contra, got 3 switch .sfrom and got it imported with cave manager.
2. Got the cheat file in 01008D300C50C000 and put it in atmosphere/contents.
3. in Edizon I can see the cheat check box, but when I open the snes app, I can't see the added roms ( neither 1.0.0 or 1.2.0)
4. So the next thing I tried was the ips method, so got the ips folder with file and put it in /atmosphere/exefs_patches/ and nothing again.
5. After that I tried the .pchtxt in exefs in atmosphere/contents/01008D300C50C000/xxx.pchtxt and nothing again.

Just tried all possible ways, cheat alone, cheat + ips, cheat + ips + pchtxt and nothing, this is blowing my mind jajaja, since the mod was working good and now from 0 the snes app starts but only show me the normal roms, not the added.

Any help o suggestion will be appreciated , ty guys.

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any help o suggestion will be appreciated , ty guys.

I'm right about to get to bed after pulling an all-nighter but I'll try to help.

What I can tell you from a quick glance at your post (thanks for being detailed, btw!) is that the cheat/ips/pchtxt thing doesn't really matter if you can't see the games, they are just for getting the games to load after you already see them, so you can stop messing with those files until you actually can see the games. After that, just pick one method (ips patch recommended) and don't mix them. Likewise, the save file doesn't need to be deleted, it doesn't mess anything up.

I know you said that you copied the files to the correct place but it's easy to make a mistake, so make doubly sure that you're copying the whole folder structure over at SD:/atmosphere/contents/01008D300C50C000/romfs/titles and then the folders for each game you added plus the lclassics file you created. The 01008D300C50C000 part is for the Western version of the app, if you're using the Japanese version then you have to use that version's ID (I forgot hat it is but it's not hard to find).

The fact that the SNES app opens completely instead of hanging in the red screen means that it's not looking for any files that are missing. So the problem might be with just that the lclassics database file itself is missing. This file is what tells the app what games to load and with what covers. If this file is missing it just loads the official one with no added games even if you did copy the folders, roms, etc. Or maybe you forgot to save in CaVE before copying it over so the version you copied is exactly the same as an official database. Open your own created database with notepad++ or any other decent notepad alternative and check if your games have been saved (should be towards the end).

Did you ever mess with atmosphere's config files in a way that might have messed up layeredfs? Maybe you changed what button you have to hold to get into the homebrew launcher and changed something else by accident. If you've ever used any mods in any games, this works exactly like that.

That's all I can think of now. If by the time I come back you're still stuck, we'll figure it out then. I'm sure it's just a simple mistake somewhere along the line, we just have to find it.

Reactions: Kaein

Table_9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just followed all the instructions and added mario rpg only to the database, saved and put it in the appropriate spot for sxos, and it boots the SNES online menu, but it freezes at the SNES ONLINE logo. No games or options come up.

Galaga_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
This thread is about adding games to the apps without installing any of those bloated, pre-made collections in modified NSPs. Those are the plague. I'm not sure about your setup, but why risk anything when you can just copy a few files to your SD card that would only be read on CFW? In any case, as long as your save files are separate between official and custom firmware, there shouldn't be any big problems (but don't blame me if you get banned!)

My advice is to just download darkakuma's tools, add the games you want, and use layeredfs to play them on atmosphere. That's what this thread is about, and since official firmware wouldn't even know the layeredfs files are there and the save files are separate, it's risk free.

Hello! Maybe I did not explain myself correctly, apologies, english is not my main language and sometimes I struggle when I try to explain something. I don't plan on installing a modified NSP, I just wanted to know if after adding games to play on cfw it's still safe to play online (of course not shile on cfw). But based on your explanation that the files can only be read on CFW I should be ok. Thanks for your answer @RadMcFist

Kaein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That's all I can think of now. If by the time I come back you're still stuck, we'll figure it out then. I'm sure it's just a simple mistake somewhere along the line, we just have to find it.

Thank you Rad!

Well , making the long history short, I ended messing with atmosphere so I had to go back to my SD back ups.. this led me to copy the files just like I was doing lately with this SNES stuff with Hekate, so, (Offtopic starts here) I find out pretty quickly that Hekate USB Tool SD CARD Transfer is not working like it should be!, the files transferred by this method mess up, I don't really know how exactly since I can see and open the files but atmosphere can't load correctly that files ( maybe is a metadata thing or just the Macbook/ Windows VM Ill try with a Real Windows Machine tomorrow and check with Ctcaer so find out If this is a reported issue or a bug of 5.2.1 )

Anyway just did the old fashion method ( put the sd card on the Macbook) and voila! my 3 rooms are there :)

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Maybe I did not explain myself correctly, apologies, english is not my main language and sometimes I struggle when I try to explain something. I don't plan on installing a modified NSP, I just wanted to know if after adding games to play on cfw it's still safe to play online (of course not shile on cfw). But based on your explanation that the files can only be read on CFW I should be ok. Thanks for your answer @RadMcFist
It's OK, don't worry. English isn't my first language either so I understand. Anyway, yeah, I think you're safe to use this mod as long as you keep nand and emunand separate. I don't use emunand so I don't know for sure, but save files are kept separate between emunand and nand, right? If so, then you're good to go because the only thing this mod changes that could be read by official firmware is the save file. I'm pretty sure it's safe.

Thank you Rad!

Well , making the long history short, I ended messing with atmosphere so I had to go back to my SD back ups.. this led me to copy the files just like I was doing lately with this SNES stuff with Hekate, so, (Offtopic starts here) I find out pretty quickly that Hekate USB Tool SD CARD Transfer is not working like it should be!, the files transferred by this method mess up, I don't really know how exactly since I can see and open the files but atmosphere can't load correctly that files ( maybe is a metadata thing or just the Macbook/ Windows VM Ill try with a Real Windows Machine tomorrow and check with Ctcaer so find out If this is a reported issue or a bug of 5.2.1 )

Anyway just did the old fashion method ( put the sd card on the Macbook) and voila! my 3 rooms are there :)
Glad to see that you got it fixed! Did the games load fine?

By the way, have you given nxmtp a try? It lets you transfer files from the switch to a computer as if the switch was a phone. I'm not sure if it works on Mac but I don't see why it wouldn't. It's what I've been using for a long time and it's never given me an issue.

ChabadaMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

If that could help anyone, below are the files to hide that grey background on both latest NES 4.5 and SNES 4.6 apps.
I've left the user icon for info, but could be hidden as well.

Thank you to AlanLC who showed the updated technique in his post a few months back (can't send links since it's my first message).

Attaching original files also.

- Place the modified file into your SD card at "atmosphere/contents/<GAME_ID>/romfs/bootapp/resources/scenes/sys/" and name it "sysmain.cn"
SNES GAME_ID=01008D300C50C000
NES GAME_ID=0100D870045B6000

Attachments

• sysmain.scn_nes45_hidemod.txt
    495.3 KB · Views: 95
  • sysmain.scn_nes45_orig.txt
    495.3 KB · Views: 98
  • sysmain.scn_snes46_hidemod.txt
    495.3 KB · Views: 125
  • sysmain.scn_snes46_orig.txt
    495.3 KB · Views: 102

Djangit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to be a bit more specific. What did you update? CaVE or SNES Online? "The application" is vague enough to be usable for both cases and both were updated recently.

If it's CaVE: Unless I'm very mistaken, nothing really was changed other than including the latest base database files for the new SNES Online update, so that shouldn't be happening. Other people seem to be using it fine, judging by the posts above. What error are you getting? If you don't give details it's impossible to help you.

If it's SNES Online: I'm using the latest update and it works perfectly.

There is no real risk of losing save files. The only way to lose them is if you change a game's code since each save if ties to that code, but even then you could extract the save file with JK Save Manager, copy the files over from the old code's folder to the new one, and reinsert the save file with JKSM. If you're the paranoid type and want to make sure you never lose nothing, just make a backup with JKSM before updating.

I updated CaVE, now none of my previous databases will open. I'm worried to create a new database now as I might lose the saves from my previous database if the codes don't match.

Reactions: rafsilva1983

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...