Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think things should derail into talk on emulators like retroarch, but I think it's fine to suggest it an alternative for certain games. At least to also be friendly to those looking for ways to play n64 on switch, and stuff like that.

I also think it would be cool to be able to collectively develop meta files for games that could run better, for injection, but maybe there isn't enough collective motivation I dunno. I also don't know how complicated it is to make them, I'm very much an amateur when it comes to it.

Reactions: nWo

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think things should derail into talk on emulators like retroarch, but I think it's fine to suggest it an alternative for certain games. At least to also be friendly to those looking for ways to play n64 on switch, and stuff like that.

I also think it would be cool to be able to collectively develop meta files for games that could run better, for injection, but maybe there isn't enough collective motivation I dunno. I also don't know how complicated it is to make them, I'm very much an amateur when it comes to it.

That's what the compatibility list is for. For the community to collectively develop dtz's.

N64 Online Compatibility

The info is there for people to make their own dtz's too (Which is what I assume you mean by meta files).

There's the cfg options tab, and the idle address guide. With that, you are in the same boat as everyone else. Everyone is an amateur. It's just... all the easy stuff is likely done, making the learning curve to work on other things... steeper.

But people assume theres this huge cache of secret info myself and others found to develop these. But no. It's all there. This is trial and error. Get a game booting by figuring out the idle addresses, then figure out what settings help with what. Its tedious. Change dtz settings, upload to switch, boot NSO, boot game, see if its different, repeat.

Reactions: Windsall

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's the fact that people come in here wanting a certain game to work and when it doesn't they assume they have to wait indefinitely, when chances are it works in Retroarch. Don't see the problem of pointing them in RA's direction if it's currently the only option they have

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the fact that people come in here wanting a certain game to work and when it doesn't they assume they have to wait indefinitely, when chances are it works in Retroarch. Don't see the problem of pointing them in RA's direction if it's currently the only option they have

They could assume everything works in RA. Yet they are here for NSO. So no. There's no reason for someone to spam the thread every. single. time. with "use retroarch". More so when 99% of the time the person responds back with "I have, but _____".

To this thread, and these apps... RA should just be pretended like it doesnt exist. Its a different world. Assume they know about it already and stay on topic. Please.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's important to keep a thred friendly and open, including to noobs who might wonder about how to get to run certain games, whether it ends up better on cave or not (and mentioning what's up). Well, at least I think a good place where people are engaged can also help then get more motivation towards working on the dtz files possibly :D

Anyway, when I'm less busy I might check how to make them (the dtz files), at least to see if I'd be interested to then try some things for some games with them.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Is there going to be more support for the rest of the games that can't boot / run well? Or we should try Lakka / Retroarch? :unsure:

I have waited forever for CastleVanias and WWF NM. :(

Hope we can help in any way to make that happen.

So for example this quote here, you'd rather just tell them "sorry, doesn't work in nso.. maybe one day. Keep waiting possibly forever." instead of pointing them towards Retroarch?

I get what you mean and I'm not trying to be a dick, but to not even point them in a different direction so they can finally play the game they want to seems extreme.

Anyway it's your topic so I'll leave it at that, but there was never any trolling

Last edited by M7L7NK7,

SNES-Fan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So for example this quote here, you'd rather just tell them "sorry, doesn't work in nso.. maybe one day. Keep waiting possibly forever." instead of pointing them towards Retroarch?
Of course not. Everyone knows f.e. that the games work perfect on their N64 Hardware.
To find out what emus support and run which games is not the suject at all and not of interest - ONLY CaVE + NSO.
Can't be easier to understand. Everything that has nothing to do with CaVE + NSO is wrong here.
People who come to visit want to get CaVE + NSO infos - nothing else.
I hate it to read too many post that have nothing to do with the subject.
There's an internet section beyond this thread, try to use it ! ;)

Last edited by SNES-Fan,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was trying to end this derailment once and for all. Like RA itself, this isn't the place to discuss if this is the place for RA talk. This thread has been hijacked into almost an entire page of this off topic discussion. Please, drop it! I've gone as far as to put a message in the opening post now.

Once and for all, this thread is for CaVE and NSO discussion. Nothing else. There is the entire rest of the forum for other topics, and countless threads for the topic of RetroArch itself. Let this not be another, and instead just be about CaVE and NSO. No. Not even simply referring to RA as a option to make a game work, because thats 99% of how its brought up, and most often by people who just want to pretend people are stupid for using anything else. I don't even want to leave that door open for people. It's not unreasonable to expect a thread about CaVE and NSO to stay about... CaVE and NSO, or to assume people coming to this thread are here... for CaVE and NSO only.

Reactions: Brawl345

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A update json for SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive v2.1 is now available on the website.

The update for N64 last week too, now that I think about it. I never mentioned it...

In other news... I am aware of the recent leak. I posted this in another post, so I will quote it here.

I can confirm the leak.

GB/GBC Emulator - The games are individual files, kind of like previous VC's. Super Mario Land, Link's Awakening DX, Tetris. More, but the others didn't boot. There are different versions of each game, often with the screen rotated left or right.

GBA Emulator App - It's a menu interface, but a different format than NSO. Like a GameInfo.tsv instead of a lclassics.titlesdb (json). Menu is organized for testing. 2 player testing, some display bug testing, emu features testing, etc.

NSO-NES dev Build - Has 24 titles that are unreleased officially at this time. Likely just stuff they used to test with, or licensing plans changed before a publishing date could be decided on. Looks to be an alternate branch from around v4.5-v4.7. It was probably forked off months before, but itself compiled in Sept 2020.

Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mega Man SP1
Mega Man 2 SP1
Mega Man 3 SP1
Mega Man 4 SP1
Mega Man 5 SP1
Mega Man 6 SP1
Galaga
Super C
Adventure Island
Super Mario Bros.™ 2 SP1
Spelunker
Lode Runner
Kung Fu
PAC-MAN
Castlevania
TETRIS
Double Dragon II: The Revenge SP1
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

---

Overall, its interesting I guess. On the surface it would suggest that both are coming to the NSO service. But in reality this means nothing other than they tinkered with it. They may release GB/GBC/GBA apps. They may not. They may release those NES games. They may not (and probably wont. At least the more interesting ones.).

Since then I decided to make a new package for Hiyoko. You can find it over here.

Hiyoko is a single app emu. Like VC titles from previous consoles. It's not something I could integrate into CaVE, but it aligns with my interests and skills. So I worked on it as such a little. I'd consider it for CaVE 2.0, but by the time that comes out... I'd assume there would be a NSO-GB.

Sloop is a different story. While not a perfect fit... theoretically it could be made to work with CaVE. I don't have any plans to do so at the moment though.

Both emu's are development emulators. Hiyoko cant save, and Sloop I cant even get to boot games on hardware yet. So while fun to mess with, they are the best things to put much faith in.

As for the NSO-NES nsp in the leak. The only thing worthwhile about that is the SP titles. I dumped them, and may have them available on my site at some point.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I removed a few n64 games from the database, and now the n64 online app freezes after booting.

Was I supposed to do something if all I did was remove some games?

Reactions: nWo

justincase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I removed a few n64 games from the database, and now the n64 online app freezes after booting.

Was I supposed to do something if all I did was remove some games?

I'm also experiencing an issue where it freezes at the splash screen after the startup sound. I did a lot so I'm not sure what action caused it:
  • Updated database to 2.2.0
  • Removed a game or two (One was F-Zero X custom and replaced with stock F-Zero X)
  • Added some stock games
    • The above three weren't necessarily in that order
  • Saved database
  • Copied to SD and overwrote files
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT: I uninstalled N64 NSO and reinstalled with 2.2.0 update. It is now loading fine with latest games. :)

Last edited by justincase,
Reactions: nWo and Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm also experiencing an issue where it freezes at the splash screen after the startup sound. I did a lot so I'm not sure what action caused it:
  • Updated database to 2.2.0
  • Removed a game or two (One was F-Zero X custom and replaced with stock F-Zero X)
  • Added some stock games
    • The above three weren't necessarily in that order
  • Saved database
  • Copied to SD and overwrote files
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT: I uninstalled N64 NSO and reinstalled with 2.2.0 update. It is now loading fine with latest games. :)

I don't know what the issue is or what the fix is, but what I can say is that I went back to the back up I had and it worked again (before I removed some games). I think removing some games is what caused the issue.

I tried to, instead of removing them, change the rom they used, and that didn't cause a problem.

Still would rather remove them, but dont know how to do it without it freezing.

justincase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what the issue is or what the fix is, but what I can say is that I went back to the back up I had and it worked again (before I removed some games). I think removing some games is what caused the issue.

I tried to, instead of removing them, change the rom they used, and that didn't cause a problem.

Still would rather remove them, but dont know how to do it without it freezing.
You could try removing them, if it freezes, delete N64 NSO and reinstall like I did. I'm curious if that would resolve it for you as well.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kirby 64 is out. yay.

Even if it worked before, it did have some issues so this version should be nice to have. It's one of my fave 64 games.

Reactions: hippy dave

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirby 64 is out. yay.

Even if it worked before, it did have some issues so this version should be nice to have. It's one of my fave 64 games.

Annnd game breaking bug (that’s impossible to avoid if you do any damage).

To get around it, use save states. So once again, we add ANOTHER bug that’ll take months to fix (F-Zero and Yoshi’s Story still has their issues months later, so don’t expect any fix until the next game is released or if Nintendo ever releases a hotfix before then)

Last edited by scoobydude51,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..." +1