Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

demitrius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash Tennis has issues on SNESC, hopefully something can be learned about it from this, but my hopes aren't terribly high

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Family Tennis works. Smash Tennis is just 50hz. I noted changes in the code last time to work towards supporting 50hz games, this coming update probably finished that support.

18Phoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Super Family Tennis works. Smash Tennis is just 50hz. I noted changes in the code last time to work towards supporting 50hz games, this coming update probably finished that support.
Jeah, let hope. Best would be a simple new option line in the lclassics.titlesdb for NTSC or PAL ^_^

demitrius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which issues? Seems to work good.

SNESC is different from Switch Canoe, so some things might be different between the two.

Does Super Family Tennis work? I have it noted that it has the same "splash screen" issues as Smash Tennis. The actual gameplay is fine afaik, just the initial splash screens & menus are displayed incorrectly

Link from Robin's document (Super Family Tennis):
https://i.imgur.com/62zpW85.png

I understand this is a Switch Canoe thread. So is it possible to carry over anything to SNESC for this game or is this just another case of updated Canoe on Switch?

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNESC is different from Switch Canoe, so some things might be different between the two.

Does Super Family Tennis work? I have it noted that it has the same "splash screen" issues as Smash Tennis. The actual gameplay is fine afaik, just the initial splash screens & menus are displayed incorrectly

Link from Robin's document (Super Family Tennis):
https://i.imgur.com/62zpW85.png

I understand this is a Switch Canoe thread. So is it possible to carry over anything to SNESC for this game or is this just another case of updated Canoe on Switch?

That's just SNESC canoe. The Switch app+sfrom format has a bit more control over resolution/sizing/cropping.

Set the Res Ratio to "2:2 High" in SFROM Tool for Smash Tennis/Super Family Tennis, and things should be fine.

I'm not sure if Smash Tennis will run at the correct frame rate until the update on the 19th though. The code is changed to detect and dynamically adjust to PAL games, but I forget it that was ever proven to work with the last update.

demitrius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not have a hacked Switch, I am more interested in the SNESC side of things. But if this is just a byproduct of the updated build then I won't worry about it then.

Kymhks

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I´ve been trying to pull this off but the result is always the same, the app hangs in the red screen with the two snes controllers, i use atmosphere 0.10.1, i tested some games (mostly jap, for ex Captain Tsubasa III) but any of them work, btw they dont have have preset id in the recomendation sheet. Any ideas?

Danttebayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hands down one of the best tools for the Switch. One question for @DarkAkuma if the answer is known; when Nintendo releases new versions of the app, do they actually make changes to the emulation engine or are they just adding more (uninspiring) games? Unfortunately the only 'version history' of the app I can find just lists the new games added, not changes to the app itself.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: rafsilva1983

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hands down one of the best tools for the Switch. One question for @DarkAkuma if the answer is known; when Nintendo releases new versions of the app, do they actually make changes to the emulation engine or are they just adding more (uninspiring) games? Unfortunately the only 'version history' of the app I can find just lists the new games added, not changes to the app itself.

Thanks in advance.

I cant say for certainty any generalization of how they will handle future versions. ATM I only have 2 versions to base it off of, and predictions for the 3rd.

When they released the second version, I didnt feel that they needed to update the emulator for the new games and thus didn't expect it. But they DID update the emulator code. The most notable change I found was work being done towards supporting PAL refresh rate games. I don't remember if it was ever confirmed to work though, I just remember some saying they couldn't get standard PAL games running correctly. So... since there are 2 new PAL games coming in the next update, I'd predict new a new emulator binary simply to finish that PAL support code.

Now that I think about it, they have to at least add in the new preset ids/routines for newly added games. So for that reason alone, each release is likely to see a new binary.

Reactions: Danttebayo

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Interesting.

Well, seems Nintendo decided to not do the 50hz support after all, and instead just hacked the 2 new ROMS into 60hz support.

0bvious

Trophies
XP
Country
Making them 60hz makes way more sense to me. Still, here's hoping you find some interesting info for PAL region games.

I am still holding out hope that Nintendo release some 4 player titles. Doesn't look very likely now though.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making them 60hz makes way more sense to me. Still, here's hoping you find some interesting info for PAL region games.

I am still holding out hope that Nintendo release some 4 player titles. Doesn't look very likely now though.

They have 4 player titles already. Super Puzo Puzo 2 and Super Family Tennis. The emulator inself just doesn't support 3+ player emulation. Likely because online play is a big part of the emulator, and 3+ player netplay is a nightmare. So they don't support it at all, even in local play, as to avoid confusion.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I've only had a chance to look at the SNES version so far, and only for a short time now.

47 02 00 00 4A 12 68 03 74 07 70 04 0C 00 00 00 43 61 6E 31

Code:
"S-2014_e": {
            "code": "S-2014_e",
            "rom": "/titles/S-2014_e/2014_e.sfrom",
            "sort_title": "smash tennis",
            "details_screen": "/titles/S-2014_e/S-2014_e-details.xtx.z",
            "copyright": "Smash Tennis™ & ©1993 BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.",
            "title": "Smash Tennis",
            "armet_threshold": 0,
            "lcla6_release_date": "2020-02-01",
            "armet_version": "off",
            "sort_publisher": "ばんだいなむこえんたーていんめんといんく",
            "title_zhHant": "ー",
            "save_count": 1,
            "volume": 77,
            "title_zhHans": "ー",
            "publisher": "BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.",
            "title_ko": "Smash Tennis",
            "rewind_interval": 1.5,
            "release_date": "1994-12-??",
            "players_count": 2,
            "cover": "/titles/S-2014_e/S-2014_e.xtx.z",
            "simultaneous": true,
            "autoplay": [

]
        },

"META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_2014_e": "In Smash Tennis for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System™,\nthe controls may be simple, but there's plenty of room for skill!\nPerform a strong shot with the A Button, a weak shot with the\nB Button, or a lob with the X Button. Easy, right? Well, with only\nthose moves, you can develop all sorts of approaches, unlocking\nthe deep strategies of tennis! See how you fair on the court in\nExhibition mode, where you can select your character and court\ntype freely, or in Tournament mode, where you must win set\nafter set to progress through the tournament. All on one of eight\ncourt types—three basic and five special!",

47 02 00 00 2F 11 74 06 70 02 0A 00 00 00 43 61 6E 31

Code:
"S-2010_e": {
            "code": "S-2010_e",
            "rom": "/titles/S-2010_e/2010_e.sfrom",
            "sort_title": "pop'n twinbee",
            "details_screen": "/titles/S-2010_e/S-2010_e-details.xtx.z",
            "copyright": "©Konami Digital Entertainment",
            "title": "Pop'n TwinBee",
            "armet_threshold": 0,
            "lcla6_release_date": "2020-02-01",
            "armet_version": "off",
            "sort_publisher": "konami",
            "title_zhHant": "ー",
            "save_count": 1,
            "volume": 98,
            "title_zhHans": "ー",
            "publisher": "KONAMI",
            "title_ko": "Pop'n TwinBee",
            "rewind_interval": 1.5,
            "release_date": "1993-08-27",
            "players_count": 2,
            "cover": "/titles/S-2010_e/S-2010_e.xtx.z",
            "simultaneous": true,
            "autoplay": [

]
        },

"META_TITLE_COMMENT_S_2010_e": "The sixth game in the TwinBee series, this vertically scrolling\nshooter takes place in a cute, poppy setting.\n\nThis shooting game was released for the Super Nintendo\nEntertainment System™ in 1993. TwinBee and WinBee hear\nfrom a girl named Madoka that her great-grandfather,\nDr. Mardock, has lost his wits, so they set off to return him to his\nnormal self. This game doesn't offer multiple \"lives,\" but the ship\nwill not be destroyed when hit by enemies or their attacks until\nthe life meter reaches 0. Shoot bells found in the clouds to\nchange their colors and receive various effects. But the game\nreally pops in two-player mode, where you'll find new twists\non play—like sharing life energy and the ability to throw the\nother player as an attack!\n\nThe PAL version of Pop'n TwinBee has been altered to run at\nthe same 60 Hz as the original Japanese version.",

Of note, to me, Smash Tennis uses the same ID as the Japanese version. And the "sort_publisher" value is in Japanese as well. I suspect that this is some sort of frankenbuild of the Japanese ROM with text/image data taken from the Euro version. I'll look into that later.

Pop'in Twinbee has predictable footer values. I think I even predicted the S-2010_e label, just like Super Punch Out.

I'll start working on the emu now...

EDIT1:

Emu hack made and sent for testing. Everything in the binary is just +0x10 bytes, suggesting only minor changes this version. So hopefully the hack wont need to be reworked like last time.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.