Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Sir3Ball

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I narrowed it down to the player Icon / Background removal mods. If you delete those from the folder you have in atmosphere/contents, the app stops hanging and loads properly (sans mods ofc).
Hmmm.. that doesn't appear to be my issue unfortunately because I've never used any of those mods, so don't have any of that in my contents folder.

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea. I was made aware of this issue and updated those mods a couple days ago. You can simply redownload them and reinstall. In the future, I recommend that the first you try when encountering a unknown issue is uninstalling any mods. I dont use them, so I dont test them to know when they need to be updated. Deleting them and finding out it fixes the issue, then reporting as such helps me know to update them.
Proper job, nice one dude :grog:

Hmmm.. that doesn't appear to be my issue unfortunately because I've never used any of those mods, so don't have any of that in my contents folder.

Stupid question: have you updated the .nsp? Double check because I got a bad .nsp from my usual source on first update attempt.

Last edited by The_Chaotician,

Sir3Ball

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proper job, nice one dude :grog:

Stupid question: have you updated the .nsp? Double check because I got a bad .nsp from my usual source on first update attempt.
I did try completely deleting and re-installing the .nsp but that didn't seem to fix it. I finally just broke down and re-created the entire database from scratch, starting with the 6.4 in Cave and then adding back all my roms fresh and all seems to be working again. Was hoping to avoid that because I had to re-do all my artwork and custom meta descriptions but oh well, glad I at least got it fixed now! Thanks for all your help and troubleshooting!

littleslayer15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you use gameshark (or action replay) cheats in cave management?

--edit--

If I can't use chests in cave management is there anyway I can export my save file to retroarch use the cheat and then import my save file back to cave after the chest is applied. I just want a lot of rare candies in pokemon crystal.

Last edited by littleslayer15,

wokacam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
can the generated database be run on Yuzu or Ryujinx emulators?
I had no success doing that, trying to open "unpacked folder" in Ryujinx.
I would like to play the GB/GBA roms in the emulator on a modified NSO without icons, because of the beautiful screen filter of the SwitchOnline.

Coke1412

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is not injection!
This is not injection!
This is not injection!
This is not injection!
This is not injection!
This is not injection!

Please... people... stop using that idiotic term! NSO aside, its been technically used incorrectly for a long time. But with NSO specifically, theres no "technically" about it. Its used COMPLETELY INCORRECTLY and stupidly.

That out of the way... to build off SNESfans comment, I'm very vocal about my distaste for that. I even put it in the FAQ. No one needs the entire catalog of games for a system! CaVE is for people to play the games they know and love, not for people to add hundreds of games that they will NEVER play. The "I have to have the entire platforms game catalog available" mentality is moronic.

Further on this topic, there are games for each system that just wont work. NES? Unsupported mappers and light gun games. SNES? Unsupported special chips, light gun games and ExHiROM games. Etc. So adding the "complete romset" is again stupid.

Then theres limitations of the app itself. In making the SNES Preset Info Database, I made a custom database of the entire 720 licensed SNES games. While in the end... the app technically loaded, it was definitely not without issues. There is no firm number of max games the app will support, just various soft limits. The limit set with CaVE (280 I think?) is around the first soft limit. After that, various issues crop up. But as recent tests have shown, that limit may be even lower now. I cant even load my 720 game SNES database at all now, when I could before. Thee absolute max limit now for SNES is 670. Even getting to that requires trickery.
Well, in the description in the page 1 "inject" is used. Yes, it also says it is an incorrect term, but I've never read which is the correct term. It would be good to add it. A one word term. Besides that, we know people don't even read anymore, sadly.

Anyway, what I honestly don't understand is why I keep reading things like "incorrect", "idiotic", "moronic", "stupid" (not from only you, but from others too) specially when people don't know something, even if you all have explained it a lot in these 75 pages (again, we know people don't even read anymore or don't have the time). I've never posted here, and I totally agree with your points of view, but I don't understand why insulting is necessary. We need to teach others, not to call them "stupid". People don't learn that way, they just feel offended and get angry. Besides It's also just a matter of respect and living better with each other in a society. We commonly receive what we give (not always, I know). If we insult, people is probably going to insult us too.

Sorry if my comment bothers you or others (I honestly hope it doesn't), but I wrote this just because I felt it was the right thing to do, since I've read these comments a couple of times. I don't wrote it to argue or anything like that. Have a good day you all.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in the description in the page 1 "inject" is used. Yes, it also says it is an incorrect term, but I've never read which is the correct term. It would be good to add it. A one word term. Besides that, we know people don't even read anymore, sadly.

Hmm... You obviously read that description, but you somehow say/ask this anyway?

One, the "inject" is clearly stated to be an incorrect term, and is in quotes to further allude to that. I included that just so that people know its an incorrect term and don't use it.

Two... immediately before that IS the correct term, yet you ask what should be used. I'll even quote it, highlight and bold it for reference.

CaVE Database Manager is a tool to help you add (or "inject". An incorrect but familiar term) a custom selection of games to your SNES, NES, N64, Genesis GB/GBC and GBA Online apps.

As for valid terms besides "Add" to use instead of "inject". Replace? Swap? Misdirect? Substitute? I didn't invent LayedFS setups. So I don't know if there is an even more correct term. I just know that it is 100% NOT "INJECTION". The only reasons I even mentioned that term in the description are as previously mentioned, and is to help relate this program to what was done with previous VC's (using custom ROM with an official emu) and distinguish it from fan emulators, with a familiar term. It's... all laid out there in the description.

This is a personal pet peeve of mine, that just grinds away at me every time someone uses it. There is NO need to use the term "inject". None. ZERO! How could the original question be asked with using a far more correct term, and done so simply?

"Has anyone tried adding the complete romset of SNES, NES, Mega drive, ETC into NSO? Does it work well?"

Simple. I would understand that. So would most people. There is no reason to use the incorrect term there at all... It's like people mis-using the term "literally" now. People repeated it enough that its engrained into the common terminology. I don't accept that, and I'm not just going to roll over and let it continue.

My response may seem over the top... But that's because IT IS! On purpose! I'm trying to drive it home to stop using that term. I didn't specifically offer any alternative terms to use because... I shouldn't need to! At least, not to someone who has already use CaVE + NSO. They should have an idea of what they are doing at this point. I'll take it as feedback for amending the description for complete newbies though, and see if I can better convey what is going on with the LayerdFS substitution in order for them to better chose what terms they use.

As for referring to others as stuff like "idiots", or in the more accurate casual and mundane context... me saying things are "idiotic" or "moronic". I can only speak for myself. I'm not going to even try to deny that I'm a little bit of an asshole at times. I get that way when I'm sick of repeating myself, or getting asked the same questions over and over that I have answered a thousand times. I said use of the term "inject" is idiotic, because I specifically put it front and center in that very description that you mentioned, that it is an incorrect term... and it was used anyway. Thus when that is disregarded and its used despite that, my civility gets equally as disregarded. This goes for stuff that I have gone through the effort to cover in the FAQ and setup guides, and people disregard and ask about anyway too.

Put simply another way, if you arent going to show me the respect of reading the stuff I have gone out of my way to provide so that you don't have to ask a question (or in this case use a correct term), than you show yourself to be willfully stupid or purposefully incorrect to annoy me, and why should I show you respect otherwise? Or... put even more simply... If you don't respect me, why should I respect you?

In case my tone comes across otherwise, I'm not bothered by this inquiry. This was just a chance for me to clarify something so its not brought up again I guess. So I laid it all out. I would like for this topic to not continue and hijack the thread though. So I hope I was clear and detailed enough.

EDIT:

After all this... you have to look no further then the VERY NEXT COMMENT, made just minutes after I post this... to begin to understand why I feel ignored, disrespected, and toss out my civility...

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

TheDude879

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot for the life of me get this to work with the NES app. I do all required and put the folder on my SD in the right spot and the NES switch online boots, but it does not go past the splash screen. When I remove the folder it loads the NES app just fine. No idea what to do. It works fine with all the other ones, GBA, GB, SNES, just not NES.

PS: I figured it out. There appears to be something with the image files I was using for the roms. I loaded it up without images for the games, and the app loaded.

Last edited by TheDude879,

Luisgabriel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Problem with Pokemon Snap

Hi... I don't know if anyone could help me or have a solution...

I've been creating a new n64 database with several games... including Pokemon Snap Stock Rom
When creating a database with 101 games ( 67 custom roms + 34 stock roms).. Pokemon Snap works fine...

The strange thing happens when I put 102 games or more (68 custom roms + 34 stock roms)... all the games work fine.. but Pokemon Snap stops working.. the emulator closes and gives an error

If I delete any game so that the database is back to 101 games (67 custom roms + 34 stock roms)... and save... Pokemon Snap works again

I don't know if anyone has had the same problem?.. or have any idea how to solve it?

I would appreciate the help

As an extra piece of information... it's a new database... I can add more than 102 games and they all work fine... only Pokemon Snap doesn't work... none of the 5 Pokemon Snap stock roms

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem with Pokemon Snap

Hi... I don't know if anyone could help me or have a solution...

I've been creating a new n64 database with several games... including Pokemon Snap Stock Rom
When creating a database with 101 games ( 67 custom roms + 34 stock roms).. Pokemon Snap works fine...

The strange thing happens when I put 102 games or more (68 custom roms + 34 stock roms)... all the games work fine.. but Pokemon Snap stops working.. the emulator closes and gives an error

If I delete any game so that the database is back to 101 games (67 custom roms + 34 stock roms)... and save... Pokemon Snap works again

I don't know if anyone has had the same problem?.. or have any idea how to solve it?

I would appreciate the help

As an extra piece of information... it's a new database... I can add more than 102 games and they all work fine... only Pokemon Snap doesn't work... none of the 5 Pokemon Snap stock roms

I have never heard of such an issue before. I... don't even have a theory as to what could be going wrong. Nothing besides that is just a bug with the emu itself. Like a buffer overflow or mis-managed memory. I know recent versions of the NSO apps have has the soft game limit lowered, and the soft limit is based on memory usage. But such soft limits are quite a bit higher than 102 games.

Either way... I dont think I can help you other than say... maybe in CaVE try deleting a stock game that you don't care about? For example, some of the alternate language options. No real fix. Just a way to try and work around the issue.

Luisgabriel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have never heard of such an issue before. I... don't even have a theory as to what could be going wrong. Nothing besides that is just a bug with the emu itself. Like a buffer overflow or mis-managed memory. I know recent versions of the NSO apps have has the soft game limit lowered, and the soft limit is based on memory usage. But such soft limits are quite a bit higher than 102 games.

Either way... I dont think I can help you other than say... maybe in CaVE try deleting a stock game that you don't care about? For example, some of the alternate language options. No real fix. Just a way to try and work around the issue.
Thank you for the prompt response and for all the time you dedicate to the program.

Actually, the database that I use for n64 is 154 games (custom roms... stock roms... hackroms)... they all work fine... only Pokemon Snap gave me an error when trying to play it

So I decided to make a new database and start from scratch, thinking that this could solve the problem.

It was by some luck that I discovered that for some reason having more than 101 games (67 custom + 34 stock).. pokemon snap gives an error when opening and having less than 101 games.. pokemon works

unfortunately... deleting some games doesn't solve my problem... because I have 154 games in the database... and the error is only with Pokemon Snap...

It only made me strange that limit of 101 games for pokemon snap to fail

I wanted to know if there is any solution...

while I do more tests

rodigo1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I would like to thank you for the work done with Cave, it is very good, intuitive and easy to use. But I have a doubt about the GB/C games, when I put Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow, it doesn't use the GBC colors, does it use the Super Gameboy colors? Also, if I use Pokémon Yellow, Pikachu turns green, almost every game turns green and red, why does that happen?

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I would like to thank you for the work done with Cave, it is very good, intuitive and easy to use. But I have a doubt about the GB/C games, when I put Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow, it doesn't use the GBC colors, does it use the Super Gameboy colors? Also, if I use Pokémon Yellow, Pikachu turns green, almost every game turns green and red, why does that happen?

Super Gameboy palettes are not supported at all, sadly. I hope they will be when Donkey Kong 94 is eventually released, as the SGB palettes are significantly better than CGB for that game.

As for the colors issues... IDK. Assuming you have CGB set in the NSO apps menu... that's all you can do. It's probably just a limitation of the emus current code. Something that would have to be addressed when its eventually added officially.

rodigo1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone, I know we have two official emulators for each one, GB/C and GBA, but we know that in real life GBA runs GB/C games, so is it possible to run .gb and .gbc on GBA NSO?
Post automatically merged:

I can't add GB/C games to GBA, I tried and it doesn't work, but I managed to fix Pokémon Yellow, now Pikachu doesn't turn green anymore, it's just that when I went to adjust the advanced and multiplayer settings of Pokémon games, I realized that the games were marked as GameBoy, I switched to GameBoy Color in the advanced configs and it worked.

Last edited by rodigo1991,

JohnnyBG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! New member here. Thank you all for this amazing community, specially DarkAkuma on the tool itself of course! I just have a really quick question on a N64 dtz. After a couple of days I was able to figure out pretty much all the process involved, and started messing around with one of my favorite games that don't have a dtz (Blast Corps), and I was able to make it launch and even get into the intro sequence with the truck, but at that point is reaaally slow (like a frame refresh every couple of seconds). Going thru the available configs nothing strikes at me that could help with that. Is there anything that could be adjusted easily or pretty much it could be something that got messed up while working with the jump instructions?

Last edited by JohnnyBG,

Lachgame5

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey sorry for the dumb question.

The compatibility list says Diddy Kong racing 1.0 runs fine but there isn't a dtz file. Am i missing something?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol