Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry if this has been answered before, but, to update CaVE, do I unzip the files overwriting the others? Or do they need to be completely erased and start from zero? Thanks.

ROGsamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been answered before, but, to update CaVE, do I unzip the files overwriting the others? Or do they need to be completely erased and start from zero? Thanks.
either way is fine. Clean install always the best

Reactions: nWo

Pitou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@DarkAkuma,

Just a little bug report regarding the SPT.

I just realized I was using the european version of n64 online and also realized that the english terittory is GB for string language. I'm also adding FRCA stuff manually for descriptions.

Now when adding a SPT, Cave just closes. For the time being, I'm gonna convert/copy everything to english US and do the manipulations manually.

So, whenever you have time to look at it. No rush, no stress. Just wanted to mention that. I can test for you as well if needed.

Thanks again!

Pitou!

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma,

Just a little bug report regarding the SPT.

I just realized I was using the european version of n64 online and also realized that the english terittory is GB for string language. I'm also adding FRCA stuff manually for descriptions.

Now when adding a SPT, Cave just closes. For the time being, I'm gonna convert/copy everything to english US and do the manipulations manually.

So, whenever you have time to look at it. No rush, no stress. Just wanted to mention that. I can test for you as well if needed.

Thanks again!

Pitou!

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the GB and FRCA stuff. Is it just that the following issue you mention only happens when you set the language to ENGB or FRCA? Just want to make sure. That would not make sense though.

I've just looked into the issue, and I see the cause of a crash. Its unrelated to language. It would happen regardless of the set language. That popup that you are undoubtedly seeing but didnt mention? That isnt supposed to happen. That is the issue, more or less.

Bug fix uploaded, so you can redownload. Thanks for the report! =)

Pitou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As usual you are right! How did you know about this pop-Up! (I know you know your stuff!) :)

I thought it was something with additionnal options or choice! :)
You're too fast, I was about to create a separate dir and edit the db file.

However, if I just add the SPT, save DB and copy files to the switch, it freezes at the logo screen.

Also, if I add the SPT and change the language from en to frca, it closes.

Anyway you're the best!

Thanks for the support.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Last edited by Pitou,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As usual you are right! How did you know about this pop-Up! (I know you know your stuff!) :)

I thought it was something with additionnal options or choice! :)
You're too fast, I was about to create a separate dir and edit the db file.

However, if I just add the SPT, save DB and copy files to the switch, it freezes at the logo screen.

Also, if I add the SPT and change the language from en to frca, it closes.

Anyway you're the best!

Thanks for the support.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Ok. Fixed. Redownload again. I didnt tick up the version number again, but its a new build now.

As is far to common, I missed converting some code to N64s unique image format, and things were getting incorrectly set as xtx.z's instead of pngs...

This... is exactly why I do discord only releases first, to catch things like this. But... no one on discord was interested in the SPT stuff, or actually using CaVE for playing games. Instead its just flooded with people working on dtz's and ignoring such features.

Anyway, the issue wasent the language change itself (Thankfully. That option makes everything a nightmare, and i would remove it if I could). It was just triggered by it.

The app failing to load is the same issue. xtx.z instead of a png. N64 NSO wont even recognize xtx.z. Just treats it as a bad png.

marcioap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@DarkAkuma, I don't know if you received any report about it, but I tried the option to use the Super Famicom NSO in English (using the line "ja_rpl_lng": "en" in the settings file) and it's working perfectly. All menus and messages in the app appear in English and every game that has a corresponding one in the Super Nintendo NSO appear with title and details in English aswell. :yay:

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma, I don't know if you received any report about it, but I tried the option to use the Super Famicom NSO in English (using the line "ja_rpl_lng": "en" in the settings file) and it's working perfectly. All menus and messages in the app appear in English and every game that has a corresponding one in the Super Nintendo NSO appear with title and details in English aswell. :yay:
No. I havent heard any reports on that. Thats great to hear! Its an advanced, settings file only feature, for a reason. Since it deals with languages.

But my hope is for the feature to make using the japanese apps more viable, and in turn increase usage and demand for them. A trick I have been trying to tell some people is, they can install both apps to get around any soft limits.

Reactions: marcioap1

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Just wondering, if there is any way one can help? Testing some dtz, making some things I don´t know. Just want to give something in return and help all the community enjoy this awesome revolution. (I'm just dying for the CastleVanias and No Mercy)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, if there is any way one can help? Testing some dtz, making some things I don´t know. Just want to give something in return and help all the community enjoy this awesome revolution. (I'm just dying for the CastleVanias and No Mercy)

At the moment, people can just test and define the issues of each game. Something no one does is use the comment feature on the list to leave comments about issues with games. Knowing these issues is key for people trying to find options to fix them. Leaving a link to a save state in some cases may help too.

LoD and No Mercy at least boot.

@DarkAkuma - I messaged you about a Rom Hack I have problems with. Have you been able to look at it? Mega Link for it

I'm sorry. I ignored it, as I don't take requests, and don't want to encourage people to keep making them. I've also taken a step back from N64 for the moment to work on my own SNES pursuits. If no one else is interested in working on that hack, and you absolutely want it... theres a tab on the compatibility list for some basic, but useful guides to find Idle addresses yourself.

Reactions: Smoker1

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it :D

Now just need to know how to Test the 5 Addresses I found. Does not Specify how to Test them

... Thats because it should be obvious. You copy the dtz to your switchs card... and try launching the game. It's trial and error.

---

Anyway... I'll get a CaVE database update for Paper Mario posted as soon as I can.

Heads up. The way these database updates work when I don't have a new build of CaVE to post along with it is, you download a .json file I provide and place it in your /database/ subfolder. Then you will be able to use the "Add Game > Add Stock Game" option to add it to your existing custom database.

EDIT:

Forget that plan. I found an issue with CaVE, causing me to update it... so I just updated the databases in it too.

Re-download CaVE from the site as needed for it to support v1.1 of the NSO N64 apps. Then you can add the official Paper Mario release to your database.

Update guide:

Re-download "CaVE Database Manager - v1.3.3.0.rar" and overwrite the contents of your installed CaVE folder (minus the settings file, if you want to keep your settings). Open CaVE.

You can then update an existing database to include the game via "Add Game > Add Stock Game > Paper Mario". There are 2 entries, one for US and one for PAL.

Or you can create a new database, v1.1.0.0, that includes them.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What archive(s) not to delete / overwrite to keep the database with the titles ready on it and not start all over again?

I think you are misunderstanding something. Your custom N64 database... and CaVE itself are 2 different things. There should be absolutely no overwriting of your custom databases. You just extract the CaVE files from the rar and overwrite just those. Exe, dlls, etc. The "settings" file is the only one you may, or probably will not want to overwrite.

All this CaVE update does is allow you and your database to support v1.1 of the NSO N64 app by you adding a reference to the official Paper Mario game, as until you do so, if you use your existing database with v1.1, its basically as if you made your database for v1.1, but deleted Paper Mario. It wouldn't show in the NSO app.

If you are getting confused, I suspect its because maybe you created your custom database in the same folder you installed the CaVE exe in? You are free to create them wherever you want, but that's not something I have recommended or expected.

I'd personally recomend creating a separate folder called something like "NSO Databases". And in that create a folder called "N64", "SNES", "NES", etc. In those create or copy your folders with the titleids like "0100C9A00ECE6000". That would keep things organized, and more clearly labeled when copying or manually editing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1