Categories in USB Loader GX - Might make Windows app for this

Randall_Adams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's up with the Categories thing in gx? I have made some and added games to them, so I'm not asking how to work it. There's an option that says "update categories" in gx, but it always tells me it can't open the file. I googled this problem a few times last year and never found any useful info on it.

Is there a way to import a category list? I never found anything saying there is.

Are there any programs that can edit the xml file?

I'm thinking about making a program for windows that will let you edit the list easier/quicker than doing it on the wii. And then maybe we can make a universal file that anyone could download and use? Idk what happens if a game entry is in the category list but you don't have that game on you console.

And I'd like to make it so the program can take the universal list and merge it with personal lists, so you can keep your parental control categories, or if you did what i did and made categories for games you're playing, games you beat, game that look interesting to you, etc, then you could keep those too.

If I were to make a program I'd def want some feedback/suggestions on it, like how would you imagine the screen layout being? How would you imagine it working? Like interface stuff. And what features would you expect it to have?

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to download the GameTDB database first and then you can update categories. That's where it pulls data from.

I edit the file using Atom on the Mac or NotePad++ when I am on Windows. Pretty much any text editor can open and edit it. In my opinion if you look at the file it's not too hard to edit/add categories and categorize games.

I am sure you can make an app that edits the categories without have a user dealing with Category IDs and a user friendly way to categorize games.

I don't have much suggestions for layout but maybe it could be the list of Wii/GC games that you have on your drive and then allow you to select categories for it/drag and drop into categories and the app auto generates the XML file.

If the game is in the category list but you don't actually have the game, USBLoader GX will ignore the game that isn't there and only show what's in your library. It won't cause issues. When/if you have the game in USBLoader then it will categorize it since you have data for it.

Last edited by TheNintendoEnthusiast,

Randall_Adams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha thank you, I'm an idiot lol. I thought I tried that before, but obviously not! :lol::blush:

The update function in usbloadergx doesn't work for anyone though, right? lol Or was it just me? But yeah I downloaded the file from the site and will see what I want to do about merging some of my categories into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended