Castlevania: Symphony of the Night gets a mobile version on iOS/Android

OMvGBdm.jpg

The classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is headed to a new and unexpected platform. After the 1997 game got re-released multiple times, for the PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360, and most recently on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as part of Castlevania Reqiuem two years ago, SOTN has launched on mobile platforms. You can grab it for a mere $2.99 on either Google Play or the App Store. According to the app page, the mobile port features compatibility with controllers and a "new continue feature".

:arrow: Source

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Symphony of the Night on mobile with touchscreen controls? This is definitely going to go well.
I think I'll just play it on an emulator on my 2DS XL instead...

...if I ever get around to playing it, anyway.

Last edited by James_,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamers: Die, ideal port of SOTN. You don't belong in gamers' hands!

Konami: It was not by my hand that I'm once again giving you a port without everything from the Saturn or even the PSP version. I was called here by Pachinko Machines, who wished to pay me money!

Gamers: Money!? You suck dry the souls and potential of franchises and genre-defining games that other companies have made gold!

Konami: Perhaps the same could be said of all business executives...

Gamers: Your words are as empty as your soul! Gamerkind ill needs such a maintainer of code as you! (*winks at Ghidra*)

Konami: What is a game? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk! Give me money!

In all seriousness, where's my SOTN version with all of the stuff from the Saturn version without all of the shit optimization and with the Maria from that version of the game, as well as the alternate Richter costume? I don't know why it'd be so hard to take the assets from the Saturn version and put it into any future ports of this game, include all voice options, and make it the definitive version of the game.

The game isn't really that hard or demanding on precise controls, so I can see it working. Though I already dislike the layout shown at screenshots, not gonna lie.

in trying to do the special moves. I dare anyone to actually do anything with touchscreen controls on RetroArch that involves the rather strict, precise, Negative Edgeless special inputs on a game who's inputs are generally more complicated than D, DF, F, anyone of the attack buttons outside of some items that have hidden moves. Yeah, as a fighting game player, even I can have trouble with the inputs at times!

And as for controller support, what controllers will be supported, anyways? 8bitdo? GameSir? Anyone of the many Not-Joy-Con solutions for Android? There's technically, like, a million controllers technically supported on Android, but the idea of taking a controller with you on the go isn't as ideal as, say, a PSP Go where you might need to put it in a case and then pocket it. At least with a Switch in a case it's just something to put in your hand.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
in trying to do the special moves. I dare anyone to actually do anything with touchscreen controls on RetroArch that involves the rather strict, precise, Negative Edgeless special inputs on a game who's inputs are generally more complicated than D, DF, F, anyone of the attack buttons outside of some items that have hidden moves. Yeah, as a fighting game player, even I can have trouble with the inputs at times!

Which is why I dislike the layout. I just don't think touchscreen is inherently a death sentence for good SOTN port, if more effort was put into optimizing controls - for example, adding such special moves on simplified binds/pre-mapped buttons.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's okay, I guess...

...but I've already played a bit of it on PPSSPP with my gpd xd+. I'd imagine the audience for this game already did something similar, so...who's asking for this, really? :unsure:

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why I dislike the layout. I just don't think touchscreen is inherently a death sentence for good SOTN port, if more effort was put into optimizing controls - for example, adding such special moves on simplified binds/pre-mapped buttons.
I wonder if that's what the scroll next to the dpad is about

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mobile port or not, you're missing out on one of the best games of that decade, or just in the genre. I really do recommend playing it.
I'll start playing it when I have the time, then.
Or just use a controller
Or just play the XBOX One or PlayStation 4 version instead.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll start playing it when I have the time, then.

Or just play the XBOX One or PlayStation 4 version instead.

The game isn't that long at all. Sure, it might take you 10 hours, especially if you're trying to go for one of the true endings (you might need GameFAQs-chan's assistance on this one, hell, I only knew about the existence of multiple endings for this game because of the Castlevania Dungeon website!), but I really wouldn't pass this one up because it isn't on a Nintendo console in any official capacity. I wouldn't trust that PCSX-ReARMed core on the 3DS port of RetroArch for PS1 games, that's for sure, and I have a New 3DS!

drickmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another useless re-release. Million times gets released and yet still fail to make a definitive edition of SOTN that includes Saturn content minus the crappy graphics and slowdown and new content as well. I rather just play this on Retroarch in Android with CRT filters, savestates, real time rewind and runahead. Infinitely better than all SOTN ports combined lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

More than 10 years already and I am still waiting for Esco to finish his impressive SOTN mod https://www.patreon.com/sotnhacked

Once that's out then that is going to be the definitive SOTN for me.

Last edited by drickmel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg