Castlevania Resurrection prototype disk listed for sale online

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.38.44 PM.png

Just days after a prototype for the long thought to be lost Sega Dreamcast title Castlevania Resurrection was discovered, the disk containing the only known prototype of the game has been listed for sale on eBay. The listing, brought to the attention of GBAtemp via Sega Saturn Shiro, started bidding for the disk at a mere $1 plus shipping, but as of the writing of this article it has already climbed to $1605 with nine days left to go in the auction. The demo disk is currently the only known copy of the prototype for the cancelled game, and it's unknown if the seller has plans to back up the contents of the demo disk before the sale.

So I have had this for 20 years and completely forgot about it despite being a HUGE Castlevania fan. This is probably the only playable disc of this game in existence and, as far as I am concerned, is priceless for any Dreamcast or Castlevania fan. That said I am downsizing and recently uncovered it again, and it’s time to let this one go. I have no idea what it’s worth to the rest of the world other than to get it ripped and archived, but to own a one of a kind in all the world piece of Dreamcast and Castlevania history would be the real treasure here. I hope it goes to as big a fan as I am.

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not good.

IDK what the situation is, but depending on the agreement of the guy who owns the prototype and the one who it was sent out to, this could be a Colvin 2.0.

For those not in the know, the only reason we got the Resident Evil 1.5 MZD build from Team IGAS was because of the aforementioned individual getting his hands on a copy that I think someone from within the team loaned him, and the whole project was to be a secret, not only for the sake of surprising the community, but also to keep contact with someone who apparently had the most final build of the game. Be it the guy who uploaded the pics to Bioflames.net (I think that's the site, I'm speed typing here as fast as possible) or someone with access to a different build, I don't know if it was ever clarified.

While I doubt something as serious as that is at stake here, this situation is giving me deja vu to that unless if they've clearly stated what's actually going on in the auction itself.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will finally live up to its name...

Considering from the short snippet of gameplay and the screenshots I've seen of the game on sites like the Castlevania Dungeon (man, that takes me back to the days when I discovered the existence of the Inverted Castle and how different the Saturn version of SOTN was and how much better the TG16 of Dracula X looked compared to the SNES one) that it looks like it doesn't play all that much better than the N64 Castlevanias, I doubt it.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How you had it for 20 years and NEVER bothered to share your finding all this time to communities?! this dude must've needed some extra cash or probably just started becoming broke to pull this shitty stunt.

He said he needed to downsize. People don't always downsize for the sake of costs becoming too much to live. Sometimes, they just get sick of storing everything and having to maintain it all, especially if he has something as rare and in demand as what might be the only available build of a game that got cancelled.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said he needed to downsize. People don't always downsize for the sake of costs becoming too much to live. Sometimes, they just get sick of storing everything and having to maintain it all, especially if he has something as rare and in demand as what might be the only available build of a game that got cancelled.
I see, my fault

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I were the seller, I'd dump it, but sit on the dump until after the sale to maximize the final sale price, then release the dump publically to hopefully reduce the future resale value of the disk. That said, if it really is one of a kind it will always retain a premium value.
A friend of mine has one of the Sonic prototypes (can't remember it it's Sonic Saturn or one of the Dreamcast ones, but it's little more than a tech demo); he paid about £400 when he bought it well over a decade ago (and it had already been dumped at that point)... he could probably get around 10x what he paid for it now if he chose to sell it.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were the seller, I'd dump it, but sit on the dump until after the sale to maximize the final sale price, then release the dump publically to hopefully reduce the future resale value of the disk. That said, if it really is one of a kind it will always retain a premium value.
A friend of mine has one of the Sonic prototypes (can't remember it it's Sonic Saturn or one of the Dreamcast ones, but it's little more than a tech demo); he paid about £400 when he bought it well over a decade ago (and it had already been dumped at that point)... he could probably get around 10x what he paid for it now if he chose to sell it.

It's possible the owner just doesn't know how to dump DC discs. Doesn't one need to have some hardware that connects to the GD-ROM drive itself if they don't want to go hunting for some obscure firmware for that one CD/DVD drive from the early 2000's? Because my older brother told me that was the only way to rip GD-ROMs back in the day, and I think we still have that drive laying around the house around here.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's possible the owner just doesn't know how to dump DC discs. Doesn't one need to have some hardware that connects to the GD-ROM drive itself if they don't want to go hunting for some obscure firmware for that one CD/DVD drive from the early 2000's? Because my older brother told me that was the only way to rip GD-ROMs back in the day, and I think we still have that drive laying around the house around here.
AFAIK, there are 3 ways to rip GD-R's; the one you mention using a modified cd-rom drive in a PC, and the other two are via outputting from either the DC's serial port or broadband adaptor hooked up to a PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...