Castlevania Resurrection prototype disk listed for sale online

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.38.44 PM.png

Just days after a prototype for the long thought to be lost Sega Dreamcast title Castlevania Resurrection was discovered, the disk containing the only known prototype of the game has been listed for sale on eBay. The listing, brought to the attention of GBAtemp via Sega Saturn Shiro, started bidding for the disk at a mere $1 plus shipping, but as of the writing of this article it has already climbed to $1605 with nine days left to go in the auction. The demo disk is currently the only known copy of the prototype for the cancelled game, and it's unknown if the seller has plans to back up the contents of the demo disk before the sale.

So I have had this for 20 years and completely forgot about it despite being a HUGE Castlevania fan. This is probably the only playable disc of this game in existence and, as far as I am concerned, is priceless for any Dreamcast or Castlevania fan. That said I am downsizing and recently uncovered it again, and it’s time to let this one go. I have no idea what it’s worth to the rest of the world other than to get it ripped and archived, but to own a one of a kind in all the world piece of Dreamcast and Castlevania history would be the real treasure here. I hope it goes to as big a fan as I am.

:arrow: Source

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the point in having a broken tech demo, that can't even be considered a vertical slice of the game?

None. Unless you have the original item.
But for me, playing the dump, is just another frustrating time waster.

This kind of aftermarket is completely messed up.

Again, this has no inherent value. Nothing can be taken from it. It's not even remotely comparable to Dinosaur Planet or the like, where you have a fossil of the finished product. This came to be nothing.

But hey, as I'm getting older I'm also getting even more cynical.

I completely disagree. You only have to look at the contents of any systems 'full romset' to see that there's a lot of interest in differing builds of games, especially games that were never released, otherwise no-one would bother archiving them and including them in romsets... There's a lot of value... be it just from the curious gamers that want a peek at what could have been, or from devs/dataminers/homebrewers that can work in elements of alternative builds into totally 'new' romhacks (Resident Evil True Directors Cut, and Resident Evil 1.5 come to mind). Then there's the likes of games that were cancelled but exist in a completely playable state (such as another Dreamcast title, Propeller Arena). Which leads to another thing to remember - we're talking about a Dreamcast game... due to the systems brief lifespan there were a lot of 'games in development' that were cancelled just because the system wasn't a viable platform to release on - not because the game wasn't any good.

PrinceOfBrains

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, stuff like this always kinda bums me out. I don't really blame the dude for selling it, but every time I see something like this go up for sale I can't help but worry that it's just gonna get buried in a storage bin in someone's basement and that's the last we'll ever hear of it until the bitrot sets in. Fingers crossed that whoever buys it actually does something worthwhile with it.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wow, 1.6k is bargain considering that's THE ONLY ONE left in the world!
It's at 6.6k atm and it will go much, much higher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe you can put 5 million dollars there, killing the bid. And then never paying. That would be comical.
If you have means to completely anonymize yourself, then please, do that. Otherwise, ebay purchases are legally binding and if the seller wants to go through with it, he can sue you for not paying, and rightfully.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have means to completely anonymize yourself, then please, do that. Otherwise, ebay purchases are legally binding and if the seller wants to go through with it, he can sue you for not paying, and rightfully.
clearly you never known hoW EBAY works so stop spill BS: after the bid is over, the highest bidder has 14days to complete the transaction, in this case if @eyeliner failed to pay the 5 million $, the right automatically goes to 2nd highest bidder so on......

CAPISH?!

Last edited by leon315,

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sue? Nope, he can go to eBay, that can do me bad things, like closing my account and smear my name in their bathrooms.

clearly you never known who EBAY works so stop spill BS: after the bid is over, the highest bidder has 14days to complete the transaction, in this case if @eyeliner failed to pay the 5 million $, the right automatically goes to 2nd highest bidder so on......

CAPISH?!
Basically this. Thanks, @leon315

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Last edited by eyeliner,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum