Castlevania Portrait of Ruins Freezing

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by squeaks, Mar 23, 2007.

Mar 23, 2007
  1. squeaks
    OP

Member squeaks GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Has anybody experienced this? I have the Castlevania Portrait of Ruins rom, I am using a R4 DS. The game freezes when I use (stand in front of and press up) certain teleportation tomes. The music continues playing, but everything else freezes. I'm left with no choice but to reset.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yes, many many people have experienced this, and there are many many threads about it. I'll sum them up for you: you need a faster microSD card. There is no other fix.

There are quite a few microSD cards that are fast enough, but the ones that are most often recommended have "SD-C01G JAPAN" on them. The Toshiba SD-C01G for example. If you want more info, look through the NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software forum. There are lots of threads in there (and the various subforums) about which SD card to get, and where to buy them.

3. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    weird, first Ive heard of it

4. squeaks
    OP

Philippines
    Hey, thanks!

5. NDSkid

Newcomer NDSkid Advanced Member

United States
  6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Don't trust that compatibility list. Some of the cards listed as not freezing in PoR do freeze for many people.

7. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    no fix yet currently, hopefully they come out with a patch.

8. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    It's the memory speed issue, not a "bug". It doesn't freeze on my Japanese retail cart, I played the game around 30 hours, no probs.

9. xbox2637

Newcomer xbox2637 Newbie

Indonesia
  10. squeaks
    OP

Philippines
  11. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Destructobot is correct. This is a long-known issue. The belief in some circles is that Konami placed code within the game to monitor the read/write speed in order to combat flash cards. If you have a lesser flash memory brand (Generic, Sandisk, Kingston (Taiwan), etc.), then you will experience freezing. Unfortunately, some retail owners have also seen errors as well. I myself owned the game, and I saw NPC conversations that had no text appear.

As of right now, the only brands I know off-hand that will resist the freezing bug with the best odds are Kingmax (Japan), Kingston (Japan), PNY, Sandisk Ultra II and Toshiba. Of course, having an internal memory flash card, such as DS-Xtreme, G6 DS Real or N-Card (and its many clones) don't see freezing at all.

12. Evilkoko

Member Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are there any online stores that sell Japan Kingston/Kingmax/Toshiba micro sd cards? I can't seem to find one that advertises it's the Japanese model. Also will a japanese 2gb Kingston/Kingmax/Toshiba be as glitch/bug free as their 1gb predessacor?

13. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I know that NewEgg carries PNY (what I own) which are only manufactured in one country, Japan. As for the 2GB, I am not sure. PNY has a 2GB as well (same place), but I have been told the Kingston 2GB models are made in Taiwan. Toshiba is a pain to find in the states and and not cheap as its competitors. I can assure you that Portrait of Ruin via PNY has played flawlessly even deep within the game, but you will see some lag in play with Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam.