Hacking Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin freezing on DSone v3

madhair60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to play the US version of Portrait of Ruin on my DSone (v3), and for the most part it's fine. However, when speaking to Wind or accessing the menu, the game's liable to freeze up completely. I'm running the newest non-DSi firmware; is there a known fix for this?

Thanks in advance

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@HokageNaruto: The manufacturer or class shouldn't matter here.

@madhair: Are you by any chance using a bunch of cheats together? If you are, turn them off and see if it works.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
@HokageNaruto: The manufacturer or class shouldn't matter here.

@madhair: Are you by any chance using a bunch of cheats together? If you are, turn them off and see if it works.

It was a while back, but I think I remember something about some MicroSD cards had a slow-down for Castlevania (for R4, at least), while others didn't.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a problem game. It locks and crashes for most people. It REQUIRES a microSD with a response time of 0.7ms or better....and then it's still iffy as to whether it will crash or not. I've even heard of a few people complain that the retail cart will crash on occasion.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Rayder said:
This is a problem game. It locks and crashes for most people. It REQUIRES a microSD with a response time of 0.7ms or better....and then it's still iffy as to whether it will crash or not. I've even heard of a few people complain that the retail cart will crash on occasion.

Not on the still unreleased AKAIO 1.5 it works on every microsd even the slowest of the slow without crashing
biggrin.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn, didn't think about the Castlevania games requiring a fast microSD.

A friend of mine got the retail cart and indeed it crashes sometimes, which is quite awkward IMO.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to bump an old topic too much, but the weird thing about this game is that I swear that it used to play fine for me but it's been freezing lately. I suspect it's something to do with how my microSD card is formatted (recently I reformatted it).

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 2GB card, try formatting it with 64K clusters. I have a non-SDHC 2GB card from adata formatted with 64K clusters and it works fine. Fragmentation can also slow thing down.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Normmatt it would really be appreciated if you could export that fix into an appliable ROM patch or better yet, a DLDI driver that could work on SC. There exists a successful patch out there but it works by taking out a LOT of sound effects from the game so it doesn't freeze seeking them. >.=.>;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: