Castlevania: PoR plays fine?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by fli_guy84, Jan 28, 2007.

Jan 28, 2007

Castlevania: PoR plays fine? by fli_guy84 at 9:46 AM (1,455 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. fli_guy84
    OP

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Anyone with DSX had tried playing PoR yet? Do you experience any problems?

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    i want to know this t. i dont want to start all over again. and then get some freezes. well it was not that bad but still [​IMG]

3. DrROBschiz

Newcomer DrROBschiz Member

United States
    have the latest update for DSX... lots of fancy features added, but POR still freezes..... grrrrrr

4. nerd1

Newcomer nerd1 Advanced Member

Australia
    erm I'm having problems with POR ... i'm stuck somewhere and cant get past the boss... other than that it plays fine... I think I've got the 2nd getn DSX

5. Rabid1

Newcomer Rabid1 Member

United States
    played it all the way through and no freezes or sav issues. Haven't tried it on the new frmware, but it might have taken care of any issues anybody were having.

6. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    No dice. Freezing appears to still happen.

7. rscarrab

Member rscarrab GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Ye i had the same problem with POR. It seems that most of the freezes occured when i acquired a new item, then pressing start to see / equip it. I managed to avoid freezes by waiting a min after collecting items, or entering another room before pressing start. Another problem with freezes was using the teleport rooms, whenever i scrolled through the warp points too quickly it froze... again i found that slowly scrolling through the warp points reduced the times it froze... but was still unavoidable. hope that helps...

[​IMG] BTW... Castlevania is the SHHEEAATTT!! [​IMG]

**Forgot to mention its running off a DS-X with firmware 1.1.0, but i haven't played it since the last update, i think it was 1.0.2...**

8. The__B

Newcomer The__B Member

Netherlands
    Im on 1.0.1 and it usualy freezes when i try to warp other then that it works ok except for the fact that i cant NOT host a co-op while my r4 can.

9. belthos

Newcomer belthos Newbie

United States
    I use the current firmware 1.10 and por plays flawlessly, no glitch, no freeze, no slow down.

Warping as mentioned by another poster works perfectly for me, could be a version difference between his firmware i suppose of the version of the clean dump.

I had one of the 3rd batch cards that I had to wait 10 days until they patched the fpga but since that patch I've had zero problems with this card.

It's not whether or not a card has a problem, they all do at some point or another. The deal is these folks fix the problems as they arise, it may not be instant but frankly if the worst I ever deal with is having to wait a week for a fix i'll be thrilled. These ds-=x people listen and work on stuff the only real complaint I've seen people have isn't that they don't fix problems it's that the fixes aren't magically instant.

Belthos

10. FuLei

Member FuLei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, same. 1.10 no freezes, although I'm not that far...

11. kev3458

Member kev3458 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Was 1/4 through the game and freezed [​IMG], hope it works soon...

12. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was playing PoR w/ 1.0.2. It would freeze (at most times, at the warp points and wandering around the menu). As long as I was fast, the freezing could be avoided. When 1.1.0 came out, I had my old 1.0.2-based save file. The save had 1000% of the map explored, most items collected. I state this because one underlying factor has been that the more you discover, the easier it is to freeze up.

Here's the oddity. I loaded PoR back onto my DS-Xtreme after the 1.1.0 update and then transfered my save from back on 1.0.2. It would not freeze up no matter what I tried. I could hang in the warp map forever. Rapidly changing from the game to the menu did not cause a single lock-up. I could scan every single item, monster, etc. in the menu lists. I even started new games under various modes, and upon reaching areas where freezing should have happened, it did not.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why some units seem to be able to play Portrait of Ruin, while others cannot. Perhaps, Team DS-X will figure it out. Just don't expect them to speak publically about it, as they're quite stern about their rules of zero conversations of commercial software.