Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has been this rumour going around that Konami will be releasing a Castlevania title for either 3DS/Wii U or both...so far only one title has been confirmed and it is for 3DS. Still no confirmation that Lords of Shadow II is heading to Wii U or not...or if that game even exists.

The title suggests that this will be part of the "Lords of Shadow" saga which debuted on PS3 & 360 in 2010. It was critically acclaimed and a lot of people consider it to be the first 3D title that wasn't total crap (the N64 was crap but enjoyable crap) though I personally found it to be ok.

This isn't just some spin off however as Lords of Shadow developer Mecury Steam who developed the first game are developing this one too! Other games they did was American McGee's Scrapland...which was ok and Clive Barker's Jerico...which was also ok.

Some brief details from Nintendo Power, more info can be gotten from the mag itself:

- deep combat mechanics
- involves Trevor Belmont
- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross
- strong attacks with X
- wider-reaching attacks with Y
- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb
- use these with A
- grab enemies with R
- block and dodge with L
- involves light and shadow magic returns
- earn experience points to unlock new combos
- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more

- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

Some rumoured info posted a while back

- Nearly a 1.5 year development cycle.- Stars two different playable characters.
- Features co-operative play with the prospect of 3DS and Wii U being able to interact with each other.
- 2D Castlevania experience.
- the goal was to find creative ways to utilize the 3DS’ cameras and this has been achieved due to the very name of the game, “Mirror of Fate”.

- The forward facing camera will act as a mirror and the outward facing cameras will come into play for a new puzzle solving mechanic.
- originally a Wii U version of Mirror of Fate was in the works- the idea was that Mirror of Fate on Wii U would be the same game as its 3DS outing, with the Wii U controller serving as the 3DS' bottom screen and your TV as the top

- you would be able to play the game across both platforms

Grabs from the mag:
castle.png

castle2.png

Screens do suggest that this will be a 3D entry just like LoS...which would disappoint many who wanted a 2D side-scroller with lovely backgrounds...me I'm not really that sure, I would have loved to have seen something with art style of Muramasa but still looks like yet another big named, big budget title is heading to the 3DS. No info on whether Iga or Kojima are involved on this .

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178092

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'm gonna go and cry in a corner :sad:
Combos? 3D?
The gameplay sounds like a beat em up...

I was hoping for a Japanese developed title with 2D sprite based or Muramasa styled graphics, either metroidvania or old school Castlevania gameplay and on top of all that an awesome soundtrack.

Iga hinted that they he was involved with a Castlevania project for the 3DS a while back, I seriously hope this isn't it.
As with the DS I'm expecting multiple CV games to be released for the system, hopefully this sells like shit and make them never let mercurysteam handle their franchise again.

BTW Lords of Shadow 2 just got confirmed by Nintendo.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully this sells like shit and make them never let mercurysteam handle their franchise again.
Wow don't even give it a chance why don't you!

Actually if it sells like shit Konami will just think "no 3DS owners want Castlevania" and will just not make any, like most companies do.

Anyway more info from Nintendo Power.

"(Mirror of Fate has a) climax that will set up the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2."

So that confirmed Lords of Shadow 2.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178113

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I'm taking this pretty personally. It will probably be a decent enough game, I was just so damn hyped haha.
Don't take me seriously.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it sad that I was hoping the 3DS was "underpowered" enough to encourage mostly high quality 2D titles?
It's going to break my heart if this is a 2.5D game.
I'm like a reverse graphics whore. D:

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
All these complaints; personally I'm a little excited for it. The screenshots clearly indicate 2.5D.

castle2.png

Notice how he's on an XY plane, with the two skeletons perfectly aligned with his path. Note how he's obviously swinging to the left to that chandelier which is also conveniently right in his direct path. The camera may be tilted to the side a bit but it still looks 2.5D to me.

That said, this doesn't look too bad, and I'm sure that considering there IS experience there'll be some sort of exploration component involved as well. Let's not cry foul just yet; IGA may not be involved as far as we can tell, but that doesn't necessitate that this will be absolute garbage.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen, it's a 2D Castlevania with a 3D camera.

Seems more irritating than anything else. I wish 3DS devs realized that they don't need things to look (or even be in) 3D, especially when it's a game that plays 2D like Castlevania. Or just use the 3D to show depth in the background.

Still, seems interesting, but I'll wait for more info or reviews since this is still questionable.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i hope the isometric perspective will be dynamic, and not one room just one perspective, another one another perspective.

like the 2.5D in general though, its something new. only negative thing would be the lack of sprite graphics

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I kinda liked that the limitations of the DS nearly forced developers to do plain 2D. But this can be interesting as well!

I`m very excited none the less, be it Metroidvania-style or more like classic Castlevania.

EDIT:
From what I've seen, it's a 2D Castlevania with a 3D camera.

Seems more irritating than anything else. I wish 3DS devs realized that they don't need things to look (or even be in) 3D, especially when it's a game that plays 2D like Castlevania. Or just use the 3D to show depth in the background.

Still, seems interesting, but I'll wait for more info or reviews since this is still questionable.
Did you ever play Klonoa on PS1?

2D gameplay in a 3D enviroment was done plenty of times before... It is also nothing that is especially targeted to the 3D-gimmick, since that can also be utilized amazingly with 2D sprites (Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it