Cass The Movie

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TrolleyDave, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008

Cass The Movie by TrolleyDave at 5:40 AM (1,613 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0954981/

Just finished watching and thought it was an excellent movie. Not as much stuff about the football days as I thought there'd be and they've changed and missed some really interesting parts of his life story but all in all still a really enjoyable movie. If you don't already know who Cass Pennant is you might not be too interested but you might, it's a really interesting story about a really interesting bloke. The violence is in your face obviously but it's a small part of the film and it captures Britain in the 80's and 90's perfectly.

Personally I found it more interesting and more British then Rise Of The Footsoldier.

2. Tall Alien

Banned Tall Alien Banned

United States
    sounds hot

3. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Stfu Tall Alien! [​IMG]

I heard about this film but completely forgot aout it, must watch it this weekend and tell you what I think! [​IMG]

4. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah definitely. You like a wide range of films so you should enjoy this. It reminds me of the stuff Britain used to put out before it became obsessed with Keira Knightley (anyone else but me think she's not actually all that hot?), costume dramas and Hollywood style movies. If you can find it cheap then you should pick up his book Cass as well, the guy did so much in football and out of it that it really should have been made as a mini-series.

5. p1ngpong

Croatia
    Seriously I dont know why Britain gets so obsessed with these skinny average women, Kieira Knightly and Kate Moss are so average, its boring, I really never get the fuss!

Especially about Kate Moss who in my opinion isnt really pretty and dosent have a nice curvy bod! [​IMG]

But yeah I saw the adds for the film, but as usual I was so bombarded with all the rest of the shite they release I forgot about, Im so glad you made this thread about it! [​IMG]

I swear there should be a movies and music section somewhere in the off topic chat for things like this, its sad that the EOF is so fail nobody will see this thread! [​IMG]

6. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's a really great idea!

You should PM Toni.

7. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's a good point. I'll start posting them in General Off-topic forum from now on. I still keep meaning to do blog posts for the really good movies, I think I'll start with this one. I doubt it'll get any American coverage but it's a great British flick so more should learn about it. Too many movies about the posh and not enough about the working class make it over there.

edit : Damn you PD! Everytime I post you magically appear from out of nowhere! You and your bloody time travelling abilities! [​IMG]

8. p1ngpong

Croatia
    You know what Trolley, post it in the general off topic chat section, we can keep it going, I got a feeling it might be stickied if you title it "The Essential Classic Movies Thread" or something like that, but a dedicated little sub-section would also be awesome.

@ my twin lol Toni will see this thread, trust me on that, no need for a PM

[​IMG]

9. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I have never heard of this movie [​IMG]
    Looks so good, I'll give it a watch the first time I get the chance!!

Also, threads like this belong to Offtopic chat! [​IMG]
    I don't think we'll be able to create the whole sub-section......but If you guys make a Movie thread in Offtopic chat, for talking about various movies, and suggestions on what to watch, it'll be no problem stickiying it [​IMG]

10. p1ngpong

Croatia
    Yeah I really dont see why we dont have one already!

11. p1ngpong

Croatia
    Well I just finished watching this from my sickbed just now, wow what a fantastic movie! Its a real gem, one of the best of the year, its such a shame it got so little exposure! I would recommend it to anyone, its kind of like the Goodfellas of English football hooliganism in a way, get it now! [​IMG]

12. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Topic moved to GOTC. As far as a movies/tv/other media section, it bears thinking about, but for now GOTC is a good catch all for stuff like this.

Haven't seen the movie, but what TD said about it being a working class British slice-o-life sorta thing, sounds interesting. I'm not a sports fan in the least, but some sports movies tend to be allegorical in nature, and I quite like those.

13. p1ngpong

Croatia
    Lol dont worry about the sports aspect to it mthr, there isnt one scene in the whole film where you see people playing soccer lol

I think thats intentional as the hooligans in it use sport as an excuse to get into fights and beat people up, as opposed to the love of the game!

[​IMG]

14. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    When talking about British Cinema, my knowledge is very minimal. You talk about the Keira Knightley fad, and while i can see that, the main movie i know her from (well, British cinema wise... not PotC trilogy [​IMG]) is Love Actually, and i *think* thats British. The others that i'm more familiar with:

Shaun Of The Dead
    Hot Fuzz
    Death At A Funeral (is that a British film?)
    Magicians (one of mine and Wife®'s sleep movies. LOVE it)
    London to Brighton

...and that's about it. Is there something that sets British film styles apart from American? I mean, its really funny for my sake, because theres probably others i've seen w/out realizing it, because there's so much influence in my life coming from across the pond that i don't even realize an accent difference 90% of the time [​IMG]

EDIT: Whoa. In the midst of my posting this, the L3spong images are gone, and p1ngpong has returned. THAT was an odd change to see after posting.

15. p1ngpong

Croatia
    Cass is a really gritty sort of film, I think its quite true to the time period, story and area of London in which its set. And I dont think if it was made somewhere else, like America, with a bigger budget it would have the same feel to it basically. Love Actually, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are bigger budget films made to appeal to an international audience. Its great though so check it out, it will be a welcome departure to the British comedies everyone in America and elsewhere are exposed to.

16. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've never seen Love Actually, the first movie I saw Keira Knightley in was some shitty horror thing that I can't even remember the name of! The Hole or something like that, then PoTC and then I've tried to avoid everything she's been in since! I watched Domino but it turned out to be shit. I just don't get the whole Keira Knightley being hot thing. She looks like a heroin addict that would break if you exerted too much pressure.

Loved Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, got both in my collection. Simon Pegg & co are funny as. Death at a Funeral was pretty funny. Not seen London to Brighton but I keep meaning to, it's supposed to be a diamond. Fucking loved The Magicians, another one that's sat in my collection. Have you seen the TV show called Peep Show?

17. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Just before i downlo... acquired Magicians, i heard of Peep Show. I watched about 15 minutes on YouTube, but i couldn't quite get into it. The camera angles kinda threw me for a loop, and i wasn't catching the jokes. However, my taste in humor has expanded immensely since that time (been watching a much broader array of comedies) and i adore Robert Webb and David Mitchell now, after seeing Magicians so many times. I would love to pick up some Peep Show dvds sometime in the near future to catch more of them.

Same kinda thing happened with Spaced though. First i saw SotD, then Hot Fuzz, then learned of their television show. And i LOVE it, because finally, after a couple of years, i watch Hot Fuzz or SotD and i refer to them as Tim and Mike if i talk about them to anyone else (it was Shaun and Ed for a long time, and even watching the show, it'd be Shaun and Ed.)

Wife® and I really need to get our asses out of this country and live in Europe for a bit. We surround ourselves with as much as we can around here, and its just not enough [​IMG]

quick side proof that we need to move there: I caught myself last night, when i got back from the store with food for dinner, i pulled out a bag and said "And here's some salt and vinegar crisps to start with." I'm not even saying "chips" any more [​IMG] I'm going to inadvertently confuse the hell out of some people around me, i just know it.