Cascade of cancelled 3DS games

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
It seems that over the past few weeks quite a few publishers have decided to cancel various projects for the Nintendo 3DS. Some of them were highly anticipated; the present and future of the 3DS aren't looking too bright at this point to say the least. Let's summarize the cancelled projects:
  • Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy (Ubisoft)
  • My Garden (EA)
  • DJ Hero 3 (Activision)
  • Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ)
  • Omega Five (Hudson)
  • Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson)
  • Bonk (Hudson)
  • Bomberman (Hudson)
  • BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC)
  • MegaMan Legends (Capcom)
  • Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC)
That's quite a lot of games and I know for a fact many of us were looking forward to playing at least one of the above. Tell us what you think about this. According to you what is the reason for all those cancellations? How do you explain this situation? Debate the subject by posting in this very thread.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of those wasn't even started and most already has reasons...

Crush 3D isn't cancelled.

Hold =/= not really = cancelled.

Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy (Ubisoft)
Ideas move to another game.
My Garden (EA)
Didn't think it sell. (Put down early)
DJ Hero 3 (Activision)
Series put on hold(or killed).(Put down early)
Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ)
Was just talk about.
BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC)
IDK
MegaMan Legends (Capcom)
Don't like there fan base.
tongue.gif

Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC)
On holds because of sells.
rolleyes.gif

All of these because the company got taken over. (Put down early)
Omega Five (Hudson)
Bonk (Hudson)
Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson)
Bomberman (Hudson)

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
KingVamp said:
Most of those wasn't even started and already has reasons...

Crush 3D isn't cancelled.
sega have said it's on hold, they suspended the project temporarily.
which is why I have placed a mention "TBC"
if you can read I also placed a "TBC" after Bloodrayne.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My theories:

- Too hard to make games in 3D
- Disappointing sales figures for the 3DS
- Announcement of Wii U which shoved the 3DS out of the spotlight
- Low Nintendo stock prices
- Competition from NGP

Honestly, I'm not interested in buying any of those games (I would pirate a few if possible). As long as first-party games don't get canceled then I'm good.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just speculation, not solid evidence...

with the 3DS and the PS Vita being the same price as well as the sdk for the vita being cheaper they decided to jump ship so that they would have more powerful hardware to work with. alongside the fact that if they are going to develop software for a platform with a weak battery they might as well grab as much power as they can.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not buying one at $250. The thing is as expensive as the Vita and you know they'll drop the price by $50 when the Vita goes on sale. Another problem for me is that they showed awesome colors at the shows and the launch colors stunk. Sea foam and black. Ugly and boring. They should have launched with good colors and strong launch titles. It's going to take a while to repair the damage they did to themselves but I expect the 3ds to make a comeback.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
uh? all the games listed have been cancelled officially or suspended officially with press releases.
if you want you can help me find the source for each of those games. But it's not speculation at all.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
QUOTE said:
uh? all the games listed have been cancelled officially or suspended officially with press releases.
if you want you can help me find the source for each of those games. But it's not speculation at all.
um...
I believe he was saying his own post was "just speculation, not solid evidence...".

And was wrong in my book.
tongue.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
DeMoN said:
My theories:

- Too hard to make games in 3D
- Disappointing sales figures for the 3DS
- Announcement of Wii U which shoved the 3DS out of the spotlight
- Low Nintendo stock prices
- Competition from NGP

Honestly, I'm not interested in buying any of those games (I would pirate a few if possible). As long as first-party games don't get canceled then I'm good.
I would like to add the emergence of iOS devices and low priced digital downloads taking the wind out of Nintendo's retail-heavy sales. That and just about every industry analyst is scolding retail-oriented companies for not adapting to the iOS method quicker. This has led a lot of investors to taking money out of companies like Nintendo and Sony even though there is no solid proof that the retail game market is bad business.

This frustrates me as a lifelong gamer because I simply don't know how epic, complex games are going to be made if the market forces game publishers to make $1-$5 games. Could this lead to games like Red Dead Redemption being a thing of the past? Let's just say I'm rooting hard for traditional game companies to weather this storm so I can continue to be served good games -- not fucking 7 million flavors of Angry Birds.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really think the main reason is because the companies aren't feeling comfortable with the 3DS; It sucks in their eyes.

Which makes no sense, as their support is what will make it more popular.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang ... no Kororinpa. I don't care about the rest, though I hate to see them get cancelled.

I do have a 3DS though and I'm not too concerned about the system in the longterm. There will be great games, more than I can ever afford to buy.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of these games are most likely going to be implemented into their console brethren. Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy and Saints Row: Drive-by for example.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Costello said:
QUOTE said:
um...
I believe he was saying his own post was "just speculation, not solid evidence...".

And was wrong in my book.
tongue.gif

I was talking about my post, not yours sorry costello I'll try to word it better in the future. hope everythings cleared up now.
moogle.gif

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crush3D was only pushed back to early 2012, it has an official release date of February 21, 2012 now and i think shinobi got pushed back also. Anyway half the list is hudson titles that have been cancelled due to konami taking over hudson. I wouldn't really call it a cascade of cancelled 3ds games but it is alot of titles getting canceled on the 3ds, i assume it takes a lot of work to produce a 3D game.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To be honest there are only 3 3DS games that interests me,

* Pilotwings
* Professor Layton - Mask of Miracle
* Legend of Zelda

While 3DS is innovated, I feel like it is rushed. 3D effect is not really matured, and lack of good games.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy (Ubisoft) -now a assasssin's creed revelations tie-in I believe
My Garden (EA) -cancelled early due too lag bad controls and not fun at all
DJ Hero 3 (Activision) -don't know the reason
Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ) -don't know the reason
Omega Five (Hudson) -hudson went under but their stuff was picked up by konami so..
Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson) -^^
Bonk (Hudson) -^^
Bomberman (Hudson) -^^
BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC) -don't know the reason
MegaMan Legends (Capcom) -the developer was closed and didn't meet the "criteria"
Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC) -not cancelled but postponed with shinobi

so that means only 5 titles have been canceled [6 maybe if assassin's creed is totally cancelled] but considering that it has been only 6 months after release that is quite a few titles but I saw give it a year and we should get a good idea of how hard it is to produce a working 3ds title

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse