Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_2013_05_10_04_13_59.png

Screenshot_2013_05_10_04_18_06.png

Some of you may remember Carmageddon, the first in a series of drive-and-kill games for DOS and later Windows. Unlike other racing games of the time, Carmageddon was notable for being a very violent game. In addition to being able to win races by completing laps the fastest (booooriiiing!) you could opt to wreck all the other racers or kill every pedestrian in the area. In addition, you're encouraged to kill pedestrians in general since they instantly award you money you can use to buy powerups, repair your car mid-race, and more. This series was known for being censored when released in certain regions, anything from a different blood color, changing the pedestrians to aliens, or even banning the game outright depending on which game it was and which country it was in.

Unlike other kickstarter-backed 'reincarnation' projects that tend to involve a new group buying the rights (and source if applicable) to the game from the original team, was done by many of the original people at Stainless software.
Stainless was founded in 1994 by Patrick Buckland, a veteran of the games industry going back to the Jurassic period of 1982, and Neil Barnden, who used to have hair like a mammoth. A team of 8 worked on the original Carmageddon at Stainless, and 5 are still with the company today, although a couple of them are now kept manacled in a small padded room in the cellar.
As thanks for the kickstarter being backed, the game is free for today.

icon11.gif
Carmageddon (Play Store)
icon11.gif
Carmageddon (iTunes)

Reactions: Ninn and 431unknown

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
This game was the major victim of the anti-games press. It is not lie when on app page they say: "PC classic that was BANNED AROUND THE WORLD".

Now about the app, to be honest, It is not good at all, It still fells like MS DOS, and MS DOS (I cant explain why) is a problematic environment for racing games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Carmageddon is one of my favourite games ever, indeed it is why I learned IPX networking and stuck with it during the utter arseache that was windows 95/98 and IPX, got a 3dfx card eventually and did 3dfx emulation when that became a thing. Carmageddon made me the person I am today?
RUSSFORMARIO (cheat for the elctrobastard ray)- it is the second game cheat/trick I will probably always remember after the crane game on Zelda DX.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I much preferred 2 to 1 personally (the handling isn't so "realism" and is more "arcade" so it's easier to have fun with it... in addition to all the other perks), but this seems to run just fine on my Transformer Prime in battery save mode.

Also since I'm Rydian, I already cheated.

Screenshot_2013_05_10_12_38_11.png

Yayyyyy and stuff, and stuff.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2 was interesting for me (never did TDR2000 though I get the impression I was one of the few out there to like the N64 port).

Did you ever play splat pack?

Again? They can't sell this game very well on mobile can they. I picked it up for free a few months ago.

Because the amount of publicity they generated from this would otherwise be free? I am guessing there will be a few addons and tweaks

On a different note entirely before all this android/kickstarter lark I did a search for carmageddon for some reason and it returned some news stories dealing with a road system closure in L.A. or something, glad that is no longer the case.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
This game was the major victim of the anti-games press. It is not lie when on app page they say: "PC classic that was BANNED AROUND THE WORLD".

Now about the app, to be honest, It is not good at all, It still fells like MS DOS, and MS DOS (I cant explain why) is a problematic environment for racing games.

Actually, it might be MS DOS. I know there was one game company that licensed Pate's DOS/x86 emulator (ax86, the android port of dsx86) for use in porting their old games over.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never got to play the first. Had #2 for PC back then, but it clearly doesn't have this level of personality.

Got the free version now on my SGS2. Wishing I could spare the cash to go ahead and buy, but I'm strapped until I can get a damn paycheck already. :cry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1