Career progression

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D

I have been working(alongside university) since the age of 18. I have worked in the library, restaurant, retail, estate agents, law agency, various different places. Progression seems luck based or really flawed. Let me explain before you judge me.

I am currently working in a retail phone store. So, I know a lot about phone's. More than anyone I know in real life. I know a lot about the computer systems/software we use at work.. again more than anyone I know. Yet we hired a manager who has previous managerial experience from working in a SHOE SHOP. He is absolutely clueless about phone's. Absolutely clueless about the system we use. It's ridiculous how he got signed off as a manager.
He's not the only one. We had another manager who got hired because he had previous management experience.. worked in a furniture store. He was even worse. There are several people with similar situation.

Now I know so many people that work with us and are "in training" to progress for a very long time. I just don't see them ever progressing due to the systems.. one guy has been in training for nearly 2 years and still not signed off as a manager.

I am in my early 20s. I am exploring my career options and I do want to progress. But it seems impossible to progress..

I am thinking of applying elsewhere as a higher role and writing in my CV that I have "experience" managing a team.. which I do. I am simply not a 'manager' by status.

It was a similar case in restaurant, other retail places and the library that I worked in lol.

What's your opinion on it?

Last edited by ,

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Things like furniture, shoes, and cell phones are all interchangeable. When hiring a manager they want people with experience in management.

What are you doing to progress your career?

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Things like furniture, shoes, and cell phones are all interchangeable. When hiring a manager they want people with experience in management.

What are you doing to progress your career?
I am doing everything that is the managers job.
Checking paper works, cash counting, managing lunch breaks, helping the queue system.
And not to sound arrogant, on top of all that I am very confident in my knowledge.

They always stutter and panic when a small problem occurs, but I always solve those in an instant.

Not just me. All the people who are in training are more capable then the managers themselves. Yet, they will simply not get signed off as a manager or get a pay rise.

Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a reason it is known as manglement.

Anyway "Now I know so many people that work with us and are "in training" to progress for a very long time. I just don't see them ever progressing due to the systems"
This is why you are not management material -- keep people in training and you can get all the work and not have to give them the pay and conditions that comes with such things. Next you will be saying zero hours contracts are unfair, worse still you will probably hire someone smarter than you.

More seriously "I am thinking of applying elsewhere as a higher role" is usually how I find it works these days, in both this sort of thing and "professional" roles as well. In the case of the latter it can sometimes be viewed as a bit of a weakness to stay somewhere for more than four or so years.

Afraid I have no particular advice I can give here though -- I went self employed basically from the start and I am mainly called in by managers when they want something done, I mainly only work with good ones but I have seen the effects of bad ones... not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...