• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Cardboard signs harassing Ajit Pai's family for his policies put up just outside his house

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/f...posed-net-neutrality-rollback/article/2641854

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-over-net-neutrality/?utm_term=.c21dac6f2abd

Some loons took the net neutrality repeal a bit too personal and have taken to putting up cardboard signs berating Pai for his policies as chairman of the FCC, which include a repeal of net neutrality protections for Americans. There has since been a bipartisan condemnation of this tactic, from Pai supporters to opponents.

I wanted to put this up as a reminder, since I saw a few Tempers in the net neutrality thread advocating violence (even though I don't think they'd actually go through with it). Please realize that even if you disagree with someone, simply explain why they're wrong. Don't target them outside the debate arena.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree with it, but honestly, what did he expect was going to happen changing policy against the wishes of citizens? You know what America is founded on? When America was still under British control and they tried to impose policies on American people against their wishes, we killed them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have to follow up on that. I don't condone violence. But less than a few hundred years ago he would have been hung or quartered. Now he expects no backlash? He should have been prepared for the consequences of his actions. He cant play the victim now. This is all part of what happens when you act against the best interests of the people. He needs to grow up.

Last edited by WeedZ,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I don't agree with it, but honestly, what did he expect was going to happen changing policy against the wishes of citizens? You know what America is founded on? When America was still under British control and they tried to impose policies on American people against their wishes, we killed them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have to follow up on that. I don't condone violence. But less than a few hundred years ago he would have been hung or quartered. Now he expects no backlash? He should have been prepared for the consequences of his actions. He cant play the victim now. This is all part of what happens when you act against the best interests of the people. He needs to grow up.
One of my family members was killed over 100 years ago because their political views were different.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those articles were from before the vote, I'm surprised it hasn't been worse. Perhaps it will get worse if it actually passes through all the red tape, next day, the man is assassinated...and I'd only feel bad for his family. The man himself...oh what's that over there?

Reactions: Nightwish and WeedZ

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not advocating assassinating the guy, but I wouldn't give a shit either. But assassinating him won't do anything, it'll just make him a martyr, and some other guy will just take his place and continue doing whatever he was doing.

Targeting his family is pretty fucked up though.

Reactions: Nightwish

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/f...posed-net-neutrality-rollback/article/2641854

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-over-net-neutrality/?utm_term=.c21dac6f2abd

Some loons took the net neutrality repeal a bit too personal and have taken to putting up cardboard signs berating Pai for his policies as chairman of the FCC, which include a repeal of net neutrality protections for Americans. There has since been a bipartisan condemnation of this tactic, from Pai supporters to opponents.

I wanted to put this up as a reminder, since I saw a few Tempers in the net neutrality thread advocating violence (even though I don't think they'd actually go through with it). Please realize that even if you disagree with someone, simply explain why they're wrong. Don't target them outside the debate arena.
He is practicaly asking for it like our whole lives need internet it's even some peoples JOBs to use computers that are on the internet imagen paying $50 a month for gbatemp and then he procedeced to make fun of people who didn't like what he was doing aka 99% of people hes just asking for it he is a terrible person

Reactions: Soulsilve2010
D

Deleted User

I don't agree with what Pai is doing, but there are certainly better ways of protesting and getting the point across than putting up messages near his house. Think of how scared his family must be, especially the children, considering that they haven't done anything wrong, yet are dragged into the whole net neutrality debate.

Reactions: CuriousTommy
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
You accept that risk as a political figure going against what the vast majority of the country wants. I think it's utterly inane to be attacking his family, but he's of course going to be facing severe public and personal backlash for his actions. At least it's signs, not guns and pointy things. Also, if people aren't breaking the law, then all the power to them to protest in whatever form they want to. America's always been about standing up to unjust authority, it's how this country came to exist in the first place. Throwing tea overboard in Boston Harbor was totally not legal, but at the end, it gave us the country we have today. And no, that's not any justification for violence. But people will always protest unjust authority. Ajit Pai knew what he was doing.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
“They will come to know the truth. Dad murdered democracy in cold blood,” one sign read. “And for what?! It’s not too late for you, Chairman Pai. You don’t have to be evil!”

“Is this really the world you want Annabelle and Alexander to inherit?” a second sign said. “How will they ever look you in the eye again?”

These are some hardcore, violent signs!!! I hope the police identified the madmen behind them!!!

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a feeling something like this would happen eventually...

While putting signs in front of somebody's house is not exactly nice, I see nothing else wrong here. :huh:

I've looked at pictures of the two signs. With how tame the words are, I can't classify that as harassment. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. The same goes for Ajit's family. If I was in Ajit's shoes, I would remain calm. There was no violence implied by those signs. If the signs actually did say something violent, then I would be concerned.

People are just trying to point out that Ajit Pai is ruining the Internet for future generations. Personalizing an argument is a classic method that people use in conversations all the time.

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over