Card2-games store their savegames within the ROM? Why do I have a .sav-file then?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Liberty, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Liberty
    OP

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Hello there,

Pókemon Omega Ruby is Card2-game, right? Why do I have a "000400000011C400.sav" on my SD-card? I never used the CIA-version, only my dumped 3DS-game (Gateway).

2. DeeEssX

DeeEssX Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Because that's the way your Gateway handles save files. It can't write to the rom itself, like the 3DS does. So it creates the save file that way?

Or am I completely wrong here?

3. Liberty
    OP

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I think you're wrong. On another board I read Gateway created these files for every game, regardless if they're CIA/Card1/Card2-games.

4. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    GW will create a save for about ever app you launch including the pre installed apps like Mii plaza, The data is junk and can be deleted if you wish.

migles likes this.
  5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Gateway creates such files for every game, but the REAL .sav is stored within the game.
    To extract it, you have to use SaveDataFiler with the Pokemon ROM loaded in the card (selecting it through Multi-rom menu).
    Then go to SaveDataFiler card tab and extract the .sav from there.

You can verify which .sav is the correct one by loading it with PK Hex and checking if all your currently caught Pokemon are there.

Liberty likes this.
  6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Not sure about you guys, but I've only ever seen it create SAV files on my SD card when I booted Card1 games/certain homebrew. (like BigBlueMenu)

I got a modified Pokemon Omega Ruby game on my red card right now and I have yet to see it create a SAV file. The only time I've seen it create one is anytime I mount BigBlueMenu. :P

tony_2018 likes this.
  7. andzalot55

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    I have a question with the Tomodachi game. How can I tell where it is in the SaveDataFiler?

8. Destinykid

Destinykid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2007
    United States
    If you have the rom loaded in the Gateway cartridge, load it up using multirom (press select) but don't run it. Then launch SaveDataFiler and under CTR card, do the button combination for export.

9. andzalot55

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.

Alright thanks. Just curious if you know if Tomodachi Life is a card2 or card1 game?

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    For me, it makes a sav file for every game including Card2 games and even installed channels.
    This is how the SaveDataFiler workaround for card1 games works, by renaming the .sav for your chosen game to the titleID of SDF so that the GW is tricked into loading that save onto the cart when you launch SDF.

11. Destinykid

Destinykid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2007
    United States