Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have two questions about memory stick speeds. First, is there a database of common memory sticks and their speeds? Like, a comparison list and so on? Something I can use to cross-reference with what's on sale and whatnot.

Secondly, I understand that having a high card-read speed is essential for playing ISOs of PSP games, but what about PSX games? Would having a "bad" read speed reduce the speed that even PSX games run? And I assume this applies to emulators too. I ask all of these questions since I kinda want to have a dedicated card for PSX games and emulators, and leave my current card for the big games.

Thanks.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe someone else can point you to something else, but here is a tip IBnobody gave me in another thread:

"Solange: Google Blackspeed for the Maxconsole thread about benchmarks. In all cases, 8GB's were slower."

In that thread a bunch of people put their results for their memory sticks.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For playing games off the memory card, all that can be said is that having a fast memory card "helps" the loading time of the games you play. For games that just have a loading screen, then the speed of the card will hardly cause any difference at all. For "streaming" or "live-update" games (GTA is the only example I know of) it causes much more of a difference.

The only live-update game on PSX that I know of is FF8 - many cutscenes interlace with the actual playable areas, and these parts can be a bit jumpy. This could either be down to specific CPU problems trying to emulate the scenes (although on PSX it still had a slight drop in framerate in these scenes), it could be incompatability problems in POPSLoader, or it could be the memory card (whether due to speed, or fragmented files). Every other PSX game I can think of should have no noticable problem no matter what speed card you use.

Bottom line though, 4GB UltraII, PlatinumII, etc cards are the best you can get in terms of speed (and only help towards getting a slightly better experience from your PSP).

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll look into it, thanks. It seems that card speeds aren't as important for PSX games and emulators as I thought, but even so it'd be good to have a backup card in case I have so many must-have games on my first card and need spillover on the second...

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I keep telling everyone this, but I can't help it, it's such a good deal. I just went to Bestbuy and the 4gb Sandisk Ultra II (which Originality recommended) for 44 bucks. Everywhere else its 70 and 80 bucks. Good deal, get it while it lasts!

Icetron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
solange82200 said:
I know I keep telling everyone this, but I can't help it, it's such a good deal. I just went to Bestbuy and the 4gb Sandisk Ultra II (which Originality recommended) for 44 bucks. Everywhere else its 70 and 80 bucks. Good deal, get it while it lasts!

Is that in-store only? On BB.com it says $69.99. I'm in Canada but yeah, just wondering.
wacko.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
solange82200 said:

Don't ask me how it converts, but it seems actually cheaper for me to get. £15.49, eligible for super saver delivery, or £9.86 if you go for third party seller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-DUO-ULTRA-2Gb-...d_sbs_ce_img_25

Also I've never even heard of ExtremeIII. It seems the market is always advancing!

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8GB card with that high of a read/write speed? Excuse me for referencing DBZ, but there's no way that can be right.

Though....would be a good time to search for one, not that I'd really benefit seeing how I have zero CSOs on my stick. ;P

Tortimer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
8GB card with that high of a read/write speed? Excuse me for referencing DBZ, but there's no way that can be right.

Heh, I have no reason to doubt Dustin. However, Sandisk could have misinformed them.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tortimer said:
Doomsday Forte said:

Heh, I have no reason to doubt Dustin. However, Sandisk could have misinformed them.
Sandisk.com info page

$150 is a LOT though, for only some speedups in file transfer/loading time. I'd get a regular 8GB, or an Ultra II variant.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
solange82200 said:

Don't ask me how it converts, but it seems actually cheaper for me to get. £15.49, eligible for super saver delivery, or £9.86 if you go for third party seller.

Also I've never even heard of ExtremeIII. It seems the market is always advancing!
It says 2Gb on the topic but has a pic of a 4GB? Trying to trick customers?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
solange82200 said:

£15.49 = $30.11
£9.86 = $19.17
It does end up being cheaper, a lot cheaper, if the shipping isn't expensive.

The problem with the picture versus the actual text, IS a problem though, and if it were the case, the prices are at best 'decent'.

The 4GB one, 'related' underneath : http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANDISK-ULTRA-4GB-...ref=pd_sbs_ce_1
£26.70 = $51.91
£22.95 = $44.62

With that said, the best buy prices are still quite nice, assuming 5+ in shipping.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Wow, you're right. My mistake (I looked for the picture in response to another topic, not the text within).

Checking my orders from the last 6 months (i.e. checking to find out when I ordered the card), I found that the original price was £26.36, with a discount (for buying in a bundle pack with another item) taking it down to just over £20. There also seems to be a mystery in how there are SanDisk 4GB UltraII cards with 2 different designs floating around on the internet, both seemingly authentic according to american buyers. I can only vouch for the one I got - PSP say's it's real, so it must be.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can vouch for the other design of Sandisk Ultra II, it is 100 percent real.

In regards to the 69.99 at Bestbuy, when I go online it says that, but it says "Put in cart to see sale price". When you put it in the cart, it shows as 44.99. Try that out....

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
I wouldnt mind getting that 8gb extremeIII but i dont trust sandisk that much..
frown.gif
If there was something like that from sony, i'd get one.

Sandisk is far more trustworthy than Sony in the world of flash memory. Sandisk is the company that developed the format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1