car radio question(s)

TaMs

Randomizer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't know if there's any car audio experts here but i'll ask anyway.

Basically i've "new" cd player ( pioneer DEH-1700R ) and old car (ford sierra -85). pioneer has iso socket and in my car there's just bunch of wires there.
It should be possible to just connect the wires one by one? Well i tried it with wires that I assumed to be the "power wires". They were, Black, Red and Yellow.
There was also Orange wire going to my old radio, but there was no orange or similar wire coming out of the new radio, so I didn't plug it in at all.
So i tried a few combinations and none of them worked.
Anyone have experience of these kind of things? Just need some advice to how to make it work. Also there was safety fuses mounted in red and yellow wire, do I still need them with never radios? Or can/should i remove them?
thanks in advance.

EDIT: btw is there any easy way to test if that cd player is working at all?

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What you need to use is a "wire harness".

Basically it is a plug like thing that house the wires for your system. Usually a new deck will have a wire harness included, it has a plug that goes into the deck at one end and bare wires on the other. what you can do is match wires to the wire from your car to the wire harness and plug it into your deck. You will need to reference the car manual to match the wires, they are usually different colors.

if your car had a wire harness already pluged in your deck and you still have it attached, you can but a wire harness for your car model where the wire are already lined up. you just need to plug the harness from your car, to the wire harness you bought, into the deck.

I usually put a fuse in the wiring for the power just in case...

And dont forget the attena.

EDIT:

for your edit, if you think you installed it properly ensure that you have plugged in the ground, and that is correct. You may have also blown a fuse..

TaMs

Randomizer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
dawn.wan said:
What you need to use is a "wire harness".

Basically it is a plug like thing that house the wires for your system. Usually a new deck will have a wire harness included, it has a plug that goes into the deck at one end and bare wires on the other. what you can do is match wires to the wire from your car to the wire harness and plug it into your deck. You will need to reference the car manual to match the wires, they are usually different colors.

if your car had a wire harness already pluged in your deck and you still have it attached, you can but a wire harness for your car model where the wire are already lined up. you just need to plug the harness from your car, to the wire harness you bought, into the deck.

I usually put a fuse in the wiring for the power just in case...

And dont forget the attena.

EDIT:

for your edit, if you think you installed it properly ensure that you have plugged in the ground, and that is correct. You may have also blown a fuse..
I'm pretty sure that I blew up the fuse, just checked it few minutes ago and stuff, but new radios have fuses in them, right? So it should work without it after connecting the wires?
Also I'm not sure about ground. I assume that it's the black wire. It was just on the back of the old radio with a screw. Should I connect it the same way to the new player or just "normally" like black wire to black wire? :s
Sorry I don't really know anything about car audio stuff, but maybe i'll learn

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its usually same colors go alike. There are 2 pairs for each color, a solid wire and a wire with a stripe on it. These you have to have from your book to the header that came with the deck. The power is usually yellow and that wire with the screw is the ground. Try attaching the power and the ground and test if the deck lights up.

You might have blown the fuse, newer decks have the fuse near the back, you may need to get it repaired. if you can provide pics of the back of your deck, the wire harness that cam with the deck and the wires sticking out of your car i can probably give u more pointers...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.