Car mods anyone?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeedZ, Apr 21, 2016.

1. WeedZ
    OP

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Just got my floor leds installed. Also replaced my shifter and pedals but it's a bit too dark to show those.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Are any of you guys into car modding? I'd like to see some cool stuff, maybe get some ideas.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  2. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Cool, Too bad I don't have a car
    or money to mod it.
    or time either

Tomato Hentai and WeedZ like this.
  3. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I know that pain. Its a great hobby to get into though once youre able.

Tomato Hentai and WiiU like this.
  4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I was once into cars until a dormant tech/game hacking fetish awoke within me a few years ago and I ended up here. Just as well, car modding is mad expensive and just greatly increases the chance your car will be stolen.

Tomato Hentai, nxwing and WeedZ like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Myself? Not really, not that I have/want a car right now, and when I do bother with the vehicle thing I am all about the practicality. I do seem to get tapped to redo electronics for various things that my brothers and my or their friends buy, or decode/fix what idiocy the car forums are saying today (thankfully most of the time they stop short of being dangerous).
    I do also do work for a garage that frequently has to put right what people have screwed up when trying to mod their car. My current favourite was the kid that insisted on buying oxygen free copper and then crimped terminals onto it.

WeedZ and zoogie like this.
  6. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    It can be, but I try to find the cheapest parts I can. Leds are easy to install and reletively cheap. A friend of mine also works for enkei so once i get some cash together ill get a good deal on rims. I'm not about to throw down thousands of dollars for paint jobs, nitro kits or anything like that.

I know what you mean about hacking. Playing with the car actually reminds me alot of the old xbox modding back when I was a teenager. The wiring and experimenting with different parts and lights. Its probably a nostalgia thing to be honest. I have equal love for both.

What kind of damage did that do? I've heard of using OFC for sound systems and whatnot, but not crimping anything to them. I can't even think of a reason anyone would want to do that.

7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    We had a car with mod and sold it. Yes, we still have a pic of this Honda Civic a black one. But, we don't want our new car with any mod with it anymore. Mod is worthless and its costly. Too many teenagers and young adults like us waste the money. We regretted and now we are happy with our management money and its for car's emergency like parts and stuff only. More mature and more humble that way.

8. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Its not for everyone. I would have thought more people here would be into it though. Console hacking and car modding aren't that far apart.

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I still don't have my driving licences ;w;

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It was not as much damage as plain silliness.

The problem is usually a combination of things.

1) Most car stereos and speakers that go with them are crap (and the car is hardly good place to hear proper sounds -- the seats, the angles, the glass, the positions of the listeners...), and even if they weren't then all the noise loudness, bass and more seems to be the order of the day for most that would head down that path, not my idea of a good time but I can see the appeal for some, so it hardly needs flawless recreation which is what people would consider trying to reduce the inductive or capacitive components of impedance via such things.
    2) Oxygen free copper is so much snake oil anyway, shielded cable might do something for you in certain situations but most other times the copper cable (aluminium and steel is a different matter) does not matter as long as it is thick enough.
    3) Even if the oxygen free copper worked in a significant way the crimps would have made it pointless as solder does far better there -- a chain is only as strong as the weakest link and all that and a crimp is good enough to pass DC down but signals are often a different matter over the long term.

12. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Just deleted the pics but, in the back of me '97 Megane cabrio, I got a 800w Sony Xplod and 2 240w Pioneer speakers, hooked up to a 2kW 4 channel amp with a 1F powercap.
    Other then that, I got a 4x75w Caliber head unit.

Still am hunting down a Sebring exhaust and a strut.

I hate aftermarket bumpers and spoilers.
    People that lower their cars n stance their wheels and what not.
    It's a daily driver, not a race car.
    Don't be a ricer.

13. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    I bought a used Nissan Altima 4-Doors Standard with 2.4L 4 cylinder engine (was very cheap) and changed it bit by bit to become like the Full Options version.
    I then added interior neon and it looks damn awesome! :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8OR0LVMK0scDhoVFNJdEhjLVE/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8OR0LVMK0sN2FOSHVkOWhVc2c/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8OR0LVMK0saVJEckRhMDBDcDQ/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8OR0LVMK0sT0hhRVhtOGFYUm8/view?usp=drivesdk

Hope you like it ^_^