Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm redoing the sound system in my car this summer ('95 Infiniti G20) and I need a stereo with Bluetooth audio in it.

I need it, however, to be able to sync with my phone and when my phone makes a sound, have it mute/quiet the currently playing audio, regardless of what input the radio is on, and play the Phone's audio/notification instead. Reason being, I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Verizon, Android 4.0.4 AOKP m5) as my GPS now, but the G-nex is quiet as hell. I can't hear it over my car, even if the radio is off. So if it tells me to make a turn in 500 feet, I want that to play over my car speakers, if I am getting a call, I want that to play over my car speakers, etc.

The radio needs to basically be fully loaded.
Needs:
-Bluetooth audio (built in) w/... what I described above, whatever you would call that
-USB w/ iPod support
-HD Radio (built in)

Would like:
-AUX (just got a pre-amp with an AUX in but would still like it on the radio as well)
-Satellite radio (built in)
-Pandora

Radio MUST be SINGLE-DIN, and I would very much like something that is by a major brand instead of some brand that nobody has ever heard of.

Does anyoe have some suggestions?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully in the $200 range, but up to around $300 if necessary. I looked at BestBuy (not that I would likely buy the radio there, unless their price was killer), and I saw a Kenwood model almost identical to mine (mine is the KDC-HD545U, not spending the $150 on the Bluetooth dongle for it when I could get an entire radio for dollars more), a Pioneer model, and a JVC model, all between $190-$220. Their speakers didn't work, so I've no idea if it works how I would like. I'll have to look around in another store some time soon, but if I can keep it somewhere near that price range (not at all opposed to buying online), it would be great.

Edit - Obviously, not that any radio these days should lack it, I need it to have amp output.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh. How does the Clarion's volume knob stand up? Is it cheap feeling or anything? And how easy is the control scheme to where you need to look very infrequently while driving? This is the Kenwood KDC-HD545U I have now, and prior to that I had a Pioneer DEH2200UB. I am EXTREMELY partial to having the volume knob on the very left like those two do. But in addition, the button layout is very easy to remember, so I can change tracks, play, pause, and even search moderately well without even looking at the radio. The Clarion one looks like everything is controlled with the volume knob. Am I incorrect in thinking that? If I'm right, does it pose any sort of a problem? I know that I would likely not have a hang of the radio the hour I put it in, but if you can learn pretty well where everything is, that's good then.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The Clarion is controlled via the knob, but also comes with a remote as well which IMO is very easy to memorize within hours. I played with the radio very little and only used the knob a few times, but I found it to be...meh, less than satisfactory in terms of control, however the remote works great instead. The knob feels strong and well manufactured, it's taken a few years of abuse and still feels the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1