Capture AVI from Component?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by ItsMetaKnight, Mar 30, 2008.

Mar 30, 2008
  1. ItsMetaKnight
    OP

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    hi is there any way to capture avi files from component in full 480p or whatever is best?
    is there any not too pricy device (maybe a card for your computer or some usb2 stuff)?

thanks [​IMG]

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Just so you know, first of all avi is a container so an avi file can be a lot of different things. Second avi files aren't fed over component cables, component video is, hence their name.

Anyway that was my smarty-pants comment. Capturing video can be done by loads of devices. If you want to go cheap however, you'll have to look around. Try looking around on websites or local stores for USB/PCI/WHATEVER video capture cards (--> TV cards) which also have component in (as that is what you are asking for). AFAIK component in isn't something that is generally on those cards, you're mainly stuck with composite (composite capture devices aren't very expensive though). But I'm not too into that market as I've personally only looked at it for a bit before deciding I felt it too expensive (then again I was looking for a TV--->VGA box).

3. ItsMetaKnight
    OP

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    i already have a COMPOSITE capture card but i'm not satisfied with the quality.
    so i'm looking into component capture possibilities now. any help is appreciated! [​IMG]

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    1. You didn't state that.
    2. I said that composite is the most used standard on cheaper capture cards, seeing as you stated you wanted something cheap I only mentioned the fact that you'll generally end up with it.
    3. Go GOOGLE, go LOOK AROUND AT STORES, go READ MY COMMENT!
    4. Yes, I know people get yelled at for using ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS WHEN THEY HAVE CAPSLOCK ON LIKE SO but at least try to type the first words of sentences with a capital letter, and also type I instead of i. Thank you.

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&clie...oeken&meta=

5. ahtin

Member ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    capture form component cable cant be cheap if you need a good quality.

6. GeneralLeoFF

Member GeneralLeoFF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Capture cards that support component video are acctually somewhat rare. Ones that support anything better then 480i/576i are even more rare and usually expensive. I have seen products that support progressive scan but they all used external boxes and BNC connectors and are meant for the professional market. Average prices of about $2,000. Thats not to say no consumer level progressive scan cards exists. I just have never seen one.

If you can settle with 480i/576i you can get a card for 125 pounds. Spec wise it is a nice card but I haven't used it.

http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/index.html

I know people that just use DV camcorders with 480p/576p component video input and pass it to the PC over FireWire though. So you can consider that option.

[edit]

damn composite/component typos...

7. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Most capture cards do 480i via composite, s-video, and/or coaxial. But not component of any resolution.

8. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I love how this response tells us nothing [​IMG]