Capcom will determine if the Switch gets more games based on how Street Fighter 2 sales go

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 25, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You can bet how likely the Switch is going to get future Capcom games going by this then.

[​IMG]

Nintendo Everything recently posted an article about Capcom's plans for the future of the Switch and as the title goes, it's not looking good at all.

The new CEO's most important translated sentence is this by far:

In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May

Capcom knows USF2 (it's an overpriced re-release of a 26 year old game) will flop in sales so they're using it as their way out of developing more games for the system.

Thanks for nothing, Capcom.

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Based on overall consensus of reviews it's not looking good then...

Every one I have read or watched has been very negative.

3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Capcom is CRUEL.. VERY CRUEL. I am looking at you, Capcom, why ? Reason: MegaMan! Thanks a lot.

4. Rudy69

Rudy69 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2006
    Canada
    Not looking good for future capcom titles :(

It's too bad, is love for them to remaster the BoF series for the switch.

5. Proust

Proust Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Swaziland
    Very good! Bye Capcom.

6. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    And spread the words not to buy Capcom games in the future so they can lose their profits. And they will come back begging and apologise to us! For now, don't buy new games from Capcom at all. Spread the words!

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    EA seems like they're pulling the same tactic. Release an overpriced FIFA game and then claim the sales went very poorly so they can ditch.

Nintendo is cursed.

8. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Very true. All we can do is wait and see after E3 and we will know the exact answer. If 3rd support doesn't support Nintendo Switch at all then we will not buy it this fall. Be safe than sorry.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I wonder if they'll stick with that when the time to announce a new Monster Hunter game comes. The Switch seems like a great choice for that.

10. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    I can see what they're doing this from a business stand point, but I wouldn't exactly call this a smart move. They're selling a game that is overpriced and old.. what about games like Monster Hunter or Mega man?

DarthDub likes this.
  11. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Lets base our entire support for a system on a single game, a game that's incredibly old and has been rereleased way too many times as it is. That seems like a fair way to gauge interest in our games coming to the system.

12. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The title doesn't exactly match the translated quote.

That said.

It is frustration for companies to not give real or overprice support and then base things off that support. They are only setting themselves up. I hate to believe that they are doing it on purpose. You would think by now that unfair support, just doesn't work.

Why haven't they started with the titles that they are known for recently for Nintendo? Like Monster Hunter or even a full Phoenix Wright collection would have been nice, if they aren't working on 7 yet.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    quick everyone better go buy it than :lol:

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    These types of moves are ****ed up, I'm not going to buy a game I'm not interested in, in the hopes they'll release a game I am interested in.

Ubisoft tried the same **** years ago and Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still just behind HL3 on the 'gaming joke' scale.

15. shinrukus

shinrukus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Quick note for people who get it today, it isn't in English yet... I got it now and it's just like Puyo Tetris.

16. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May

This doesn't mean capcom won't release games on switch if it does poorly. This could mean capcom will see how to support the system, to see if ports of old games are worth rereleasing for it not. Im sure new games will come out for it. Monster hunter is a big money making series on nintendo, the won't pass up money like that. You also have Ace attorney, and virtual console which Capcom has always supported.

If they do judge based on an old game that many people don't see worth rebuying for the 20th time that would be a very stupid business decision.

Last edited by SG854, May 25, 2017
    Roomsaver likes this.
  17. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    ...are you fucking kidding me...

18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    How bout capcom make a new game for once. Like MEGA MAN 11 or something You know, for the 30 ANNIVERSARY OF MEGA MAN? Instead of trying to sell another street fighter 2 game for the 10th time... (Is not actually 10 times but it might as well be.) And $40 no less. :glare:

19. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Port of a game that's been ported a billion times, subpar new mode, very high price.....

Yeah, if Crapcom are gonna set themselves up for failure like that, let them. More money to spend on actually good games that have had effort poured into them.

20. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    Ya because releasing a half baked remake of a very old game is really going to sell, right Capcom? Ripping people off as if it's fine.